ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Getting 5 yr Belgian residency - looking for shortcuts

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

jgombos
Newly Registered

Getting 5 yr Belgian residency - looking for shortcuts

Post by jgombos » Sun Nov 22, 2009 2:36 pm

The general rule in Belgium is that non-EU immigrants must be a temporary resident for five consecutive years (renewed annually) before they can apply for permanent residency, and thus end up with a residency id that's good for 5 years or more.

Are there any shortcuts to getting a residency card for 5 years or more? I've read that some communes will grant extensions for those that take language classes.

Richard66

Post by Richard66 » Mon Nov 23, 2009 3:31 pm

Normally shortcuts are not legitimate.
Aiming at travelling to the UK with my wife and not with an EEA FP!

SBT_Owner
Member of Standing

Post by SBT_Owner » Mon Nov 23, 2009 3:38 pm

Check this thread >> http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewtopic.php?t=47632 .

The danger of "shortcuts" :wink:
Please respect the sites admin and mod team . They donate time to this site for free . Let us thank them !
Tottenham Hotspur have made it into the Champions League . Great Times :0)

jgombos
Newly Registered

Post by jgombos » Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:05 pm

You folks misunderstood me. First of all, citizenship is overkill. I'm talking about getting a residency id card that's good for five years, not naturalization. I know there are no shortcuts to naturalization.

I'm not at all interested in black market options. I want to legitimately extend a legally obtained residency permit. Some communes will give extensions simply for signing up for foreign language classes. KMO grants professional cards that are good for two years - can that be easily extended? A 5 year pro card would probably lead to a 5 year resident id.

What if someone starts a company, and hires locals?

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:22 pm

What's the rush? What's wrong with your home country?
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

jgombos
Newly Registered

Post by jgombos » Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:03 pm

Wanderer wrote:What's the rush?
No rush. But it's a real hassle to take time from work several days a year to go through all the renewal steps, and pay fees every time, and risk getting bad service from someone who doesn't want to speak English. Belgian banks deny credit cards to those with short term residency as well. Residency also implies a legal right to work, so the work permit and pro card must be renewed constantly as well - too often - and it's a prerequisite to getting the residency extended.
Wanderer wrote:What's wrong with your home country?
I like my home country, but if I needed to look for something wrong with it, I suppose my answer would be that the currency is weak there.

Richard66

Post by Richard66 » Wed Nov 25, 2009 5:24 pm

How would you feel if you, living in an English-speaking country, had to deal with a Belgian, who complains you refuse to speak to him in Flemish?

If you are going to live in a country the least you can do is to attempt to speak the lingo.
Aiming at travelling to the UK with my wife and not with an EEA FP!

jgombos
Newly Registered

Post by jgombos » Wed Nov 25, 2009 5:54 pm

Richard66 wrote:How would you feel if you, living in an English-speaking country, had to deal with a Belgian, who complains you refuse to speak to him in Flemish?

If you are going to live in a country the least you can do is to attempt to speak the lingo.
I have no expectation of getting English service from a government office, nor did I imply it -- hence the utility of having a five year resident id. You've made my point for me.

usman_de
Newly Registered

Post by usman_de » Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:33 pm

I thought Belgium had those laws no more, where after 5 years of legal stay on a student visa you qualified for the belgian residency.

What you are saying here is that if a person signs up for Language lessons in some areas he is granted residence permit ?

jgombos
Newly Registered

Post by jgombos » Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:14 pm

usman_de wrote: What you are saying here is that if a person signs up for Language lessons in some areas he is granted residence permit ?
No, it's not a way to make an initial application. But if someone already acquired a residence permit, some of the flemish communes will give an extension for signing up for a language class.