ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

non eu spouse of eu member going to france

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Emc

non eu spouse of eu member going to france

Post by Emc » Thu Nov 26, 2009 11:22 pm

Hi, i am very confused about what type of visa i need to get from french embassy. I am a russian citizen married to british men and we are going to live in France. spoke to visa section , but they told me to bring my ticket to france and insurance, ext, which i believe is not needed if i am EU member's spouse. we havent got the date of travel yet, so no tickets. did anyone have the same visa type? please advise

TracyCK

Post by TracyCK » Fri Nov 27, 2009 2:29 am

This is the website for the French Consulate in the UK and the address of the page with information that applies to you.

http://www.ambafrance-uk.org/Family-mem ... opean.html

Here, you can make an appointment online ( http://www.ambafrance-uk.org/Appointmen ... rench.html )and also download the Visa Application to complete ( http://www.diplomatie.gouv.fr/fr/IMG/pdf/visagb.pdf ). Note that you do not need to complete the sections marked with * on the application.

You do not need to have tickets yet, and should not be required to show anything other than both your passports and your official marriage certificate. I believe that the Medical Insurance requirement is only when applying for Residency (once you are there), but I could be mistaken on this. The Visa you should be issued with is free of charge as you are a Non EU/EEA Family Member of an EU Citizen.

Good Luck!
Husband issued with an EEA FP via Surinder Singh and various complications :)
Original thread: http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewtopic.php?t=45808
Second thread: http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewtopic.php?p=309363

ca.funke
Belgium

Re: non eu spouse of eu member going to france

Post by ca.funke » Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:50 am

Emc wrote:Hi, i am very confused about what type of visa i need to get from french embassy. I am a russian citizen married to british men and we are going to live in France. spoke to visa section , but they told me to bring my ticket to france and insurance, ext, which i believe is not needed if i am EU member's spouse. we havent got the date of travel yet, so no tickets. did anyone have the same visa type? please advise
Hi Emc,

what the embassy told you is -simply and plainly- wrong. Please ignore that.

All you need to know is in >>Directive 2004/38/EC<<.

Article 9 and 10 point out how a residence-permit must be issued, once you are in France. You need to (only) provide:
  • Both your passports
  • Your marriage-certificate
Specifically, it doesn´t matter how you got to France. (Legally, illegally, by magic, whatever....)

If travelling together with your spouse, you may enter France without a visa, you can read up >>here<< how and why.

If you are currently in the UK, it should be possible to enforce this and cross the border.

If you are currently in Russia you may have to apply for a visa, as it may otherwise (illegally) prove physically impossible to get into the plane to France. This visa must be issued by the French embassy, asking for the same papers as above (both PP´s and the marriage-certificate), through an accelerated procedure and free of charge. (See Article 5, section 2 of the law)

You don´t need any special visa (the embassy might tell you otherwise), you just need the possibility to physically get to France, hence any Schengen-visa will do.

Good luck and vive la France,
Christian

Emc

thanx

Post by Emc » Fri Nov 27, 2009 12:49 pm

thanx for you advice :) , once i had all the EU laws and regulations printed infront of me, phoned the embassy again, they proved to have no info on entry visas for EU members, except that is free, they kept telling me to look it up on the website, which i did over and over again, but there is no the right form of application fir my case or any info on the list of documents. so i phoned again and they were pushing me from post to pillar between visa section and consulate call centre, since non had the info. After offering me to apply for Schengen(again with tickets as a must) or a long term visa as a french spouse, for which i explained that my husband is British and it will not fit the purpose and also i am not buying any return tickets, the call center lady sent me to talk to consulate face to face and ask them. by the time i got of the phone and went to french consulate they we closed, opening hours-9am-11.30am. very frustrated i phoned the hot line again( sixth time in 24 hours) and i struck gold, the lady on the phone told me to go strait to consulate on Monday with my passport and marriage certificate, photos, ext(no tickets!!) and go strait in without appointment, which they booked for me in January 2010, so good for our plans to spend Christmas in France!! I was told that visa should be issued the same day, its free and the visa officials will give me the right application form, since there is not one on the website. Phew, that is all taking place in Moscow, obviously most people who apply are married to french, but common, there is a mentioning on visas page about EU family members, it says to be dealt with directly by consulate, thats all, the rest to be guessed. I ve seen French sites of USA and China and they all have full onfo on this types of visaa and the list of documents too, why dont they make it global on their websites, since the EU law covers family members from different countries. Well i shall be going there very early on Monday, will wright about the result then. Thank you all again for your support. :D

TracyCK

Post by TracyCK » Fri Nov 27, 2009 2:21 pm

Good Luck on Monday!

The Visa Application is pretty standard and the same across all of Schengen regardless of what type of Visa you need to apply for. The link to the application above will be fine so that you can take it in with you already completed. Just remember that you don't need to answer any questions marked with an asterisk *.
Husband issued with an EEA FP via Surinder Singh and various complications :)
Original thread: http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewtopic.php?t=45808
Second thread: http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewtopic.php?p=309363

Emc

french visa for spouse of EU

Post by Emc » Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:02 pm

Hi, i ve been to french consulate in moscow they ve been very helpfull, but didn't know much about the right type of visa for me, so after they spoke to French supervisor, offered to aply forSchengen visa for 90 days. They accepted the photo copy of my husband's pasport, cos he is in UK now, however, french ECO wasn't sure if our marriage is recognisible in UK, since we got married in Moscow and if she can accept the marriage certificate ( with Apostile& translation) or we ll have to get a second certificate from UK !!!! i told her that it must be accepted in UK , cos all done properly and Apostile put on. She sent me home to wait for the phone call, they still have my passport, i just hope to hear from them soon and get the visa. :?

acme4242

Post by acme4242 » Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:39 pm

Your very lucky to get a helpful French Consulate.

Can some of the more knowledgeable guys help clarify
Are there any written EU/Schengen rules or guidelines about this type of
visa for EU family members.
Specifically.

1) class of visa, e.g. Class D (allows more than 90 days)
2) duration, e.g. 2 years
3) multiple entry, e.g. Multiple entry

I read in one >reply< for the Irish, that Family members of EU citizens should be issued with Class-D multi-entry Irish Visas.
Any similar Schengen rules ?

I read on this French Embassy site
>>>Family members of EU nationals must lodge an application for a short stay Schengen visa then contact the prefecture to finalise the formalities, should they wish to settle in France.
This is against EU freedom of movement.
Last edited by acme4242 on Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

86ti
Diamond Member

Post by 86ti » Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:15 pm

acme4242 wrote:Can some of the more knowledgeable guys help clarify
Are there any written EU/Schengen rules or guidelines about this type of
visa for EU family members.
Specifically.

1) class of visa, e.g. Class D (allows more than 90 days)
2) duration, e.g. 2 years
3) multiple entry, e.g. Multiple entry

I read in one >reply< for the Irish, that Family members of EU citizens should be issued with Class-D multi-entry Irish Visas.
Any similar Schengen rules ?
A class D visa is a national visa and hence each member state decides (mostly) themselves, but typically the visa is granted for special purposes. Multiple entry C visa for extended periods are typically 'bona fide' visa, e.g. only issued after a number of short term visas where the visa holder has shown that he/she complies with the rules (the Common Consular Instructions should have some details). The Irish probably have their own rules about what they call a class D visa.

acme4242

Post by acme4242 » Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:28 pm

thanks, I just found this info , but no rules related to EU family members.
Do you have a copy of the Common Consular Instructions ?

Common Consular Instructions.......its ok, I just found them... http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/Lex ... 149:EN:PDF

Schengen Visa categories:

* Category A refers to an airport transit visa. It is required for some few nationals for passing through the international transit area of airports during a stop-over or transfer between two sections of an international flight. The requirement to have this visa is an exception to the general right to transit without a visa through an international transit area of an airport.
* Category B refers to a transit visa. It is required by nationals who are not visa-free for travelling from one non-Schengen state to another non-Schengen state, in order to pass through the Schengen area. Each transit may not exceed five days.
* Category C refers to a short-term stay visa. They are issued for reasons other than to immigrate. They entitle holders to carry out a continuous visit or several visits whose duration does not exceed three months in any half-year from the date of first entry.
* Category D refers to national visa. They are issued by a Schengen state in accordance with its national legislation as with respect to the conditions (however, a uniform sticker is used). The national visa allows the holder to transit from a non-Schengen country to the Schengen state which issued the national visa within five days. Only after the holder has obtained a residence title after arrival in the destination country (or a different visa), he may again travel to other Schengen countries.
* Category D+C visa combine the functions of the visa of both categories: They are intended to allow the holder to enter the issuing Schengen state for long-term stay in that state, but also to travel in the Schengen area like a holder of a Category C visa.
* FTD and FRTD are special visa issued for road (FTD) or rail (FRTD) transit only between mainland Russian Federation and its western exclave of Kaliningrad Oblast.

86ti
Diamond Member

Post by 86ti » Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:10 pm

acme4242 wrote:but no rules related to EU family members.
If they intend to enter based on national law then each member state will probably do whatever they find most convenient, possibly also requiring the application for the residence title through the embassy.

If it is EU law then it really doesn't matter as long it gets the family members past the check-in counter and the immigration officer. But embassies may struggle with this idea...

acme4242 wrote:Do you have a copy of the Common Consular Instructions ?
See EUR-Lex.

Emc

got my french visa today!!!!!

Post by Emc » Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:28 pm

Hi , i am sooo happy, after all the delay, finaly i ve got my Schengen visa from French embassy ! after all they only needed my pasport, copy of my EU husband's passport and our marriage certificate with Apostile and translation. I am sooo happy, will spend Christmas in France with my hubby . Good luck to all who are expecting their visas and thanx for the advise and comments posted. :D

pierre75

Post by pierre75 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 2:20 pm

Sorry for my (still) (very) broken english.

The French authorities made a trap when they adopted in 2006 the law related to UE citzen and their third country families.

At the start, the title of the law was : "Entrance and residence of EU/EAA citizens and entrance and residence of their third country relatives".

But few time latter, it became "Entrance and residence of EU/EAA citizens and residence of their third country relatives".

No more entrance for third country relatives ...

France wants to filter the entrance for 3rd country relatives of UE citizens and that's also why, on the general french website for visa, it is falsely written that the 3rd countries relatives of UE citizens must apply with common procedure for visa (i.e.) Shengen.

- For the "unlucky" and "filtered" (better not to be unlucky and to find agreement before with the French Embassy but it happens to everyone, one day, to be unlucky) :

In fact, if any French Embassy refuse to issue a short term visa (whatever type of visa) for 3rd country relatives with only passeport and mariage certificate (apostille, eventually translation) - and for free - you have to go to the normal procedure of appeal as for 3rd country spouse of French citizen (commission de recours de refus de visa + Conseil d'Etat). It is free. No need any lawer.

This procedure is explained here :
http://multinational.leforum.eu/t5-Dela ... ancais.htm

As for spouse of French citizens, be sure that you will get your visa in 99% of the cases BEFORE the case is studied byè the Tribunal. In fact, the tribunal receive your appeal, it transmits a copy to the Consulate, the Consulate check that you know the law and deliver the visa before the audience, telling the judge no need to judge because visa is delivered ...

The only difference is that for spouse of French, you have to wait two months before starting the appeal while for spouse of UE citizen, it seems that you have to wait only one month as it seems for the European Commission guidelines of july 2009 ( http://multinational.leforum.eu/t488-No ... 004-38.htm ) :
2.2.1. Entry visas

As provided in Article 5(2), Member States may require third country family members moving with or joining an EU citizen to whom the Directive applies to have an entry visa. Such family members have not only the right to enter the territory of the Member State, but also the right to obtain an entry visa[18]. This distinguishes them from other third country nationals, who have no such right.

Third country family members should be issued as soon as possible and on the basis of an accelerated procedure with a free of charge short-term entry visa. By analogy with Article 23 of the Visa Code[19] the Commission considers that delays of more than four weeks are not reasonable. The authorities of the Member States should guide the family members as to the type of visa they should apply for, and they cannot require them to apply for long-term, residence or family reunification visas. Member States must grant such family members every facility to obtain the necessary visas. Member States may use premium call lines or services of an external company to set up an appointment but must offer the possibility of direct access to the consulate to third country family members.

As the right to be issued with an entry visa is derived from the family link with the EU citizen, Member States may require only the presentation of a valid passport and evidence of the family link[20] (and also dependency, serious health grounds, durability of partnerships, where applicable). No additional documents, such as a proof of accommodation, sufficient resources, an invitation letter or return ticket, can be required.

Member States may encourage integration of EU citizens and their third country family members by offering language and other targeted courses on a voluntary basis.[21] No consequence can be attached to the refusal to attend them.

Residence cards issued under Article 10 of the Directive to a family member of an EU citizen residing in the host Member State, including those issued by other Member States, exempt their holders from the visa requirement when they travel together with the EU citizen or join him/her in the host Member State.

Residence cards not issued under the Directive can exempt the holder from the visa requirement under Schengen rules"
New forum in french for binationals Europe/third country couples and families :
http://multinational.leforum.eu

Prawo

Post by Prawo » Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:27 pm

Nice information Pierre.

Maybe you know if the appeal procedure in visa cases and cases of residence permits in France differs from any other administrative procedure in France?

For instance in The Netherlands normally you have to appeal within six weeks.
The exception are appeals on the basis of the aliens act, here you have to act within four weeks.

I wonder how this is in other member states as according to me different periods for filing the appeal is not allowed under the directive.

I try to challenge the Dutch approach so such information can come in handy.

pierre75

Post by pierre75 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:26 pm

The appeal procedure for visa cases in France has to be filed in a 2 month period after the refusal.

Refusal may be explicit (written letter) or implicit (no answer from the Consulat for 2 months after asking them the visa).

So it is crucially necessary to check that the Consulate gives you a receipt with the date of registration of your visa ask deposit.

The two month delay in case of no answer from the Consulat is the normal procedure in France for dealing with administrations.

The difference is that in some cases, no answer after two months means that the administration accepts what you ask to her and, for exemple for visa, no answer in 2 months means that the administration rejected what you asked.

Since 2002 (2003 ?) they extended the period to 4 months in case that you ask a residence permit to the Prefecture in France (not Consulates).

So there is special dispensation from normal procedures for alien treatment in France too.

See : http://multinational.leforum.eu/t80-Loi ... ations.htm

Prawo, can you get any new information about how they want to change the 2003/86 next year (not only by Netherland but also other countries, maybe specially DE, AT and DA) ?

I try to figure out in particular how France tries to push to introduce quota similar of the one authorized for Austria by the way of "minor" modification of the directive ("The second indent provides for a waiting period of three years counted as from the submission of an application, but only in those Member States who have already taken their reception capacity into account at a time of the adoption of the Directive).

What I suspect is they want to suppress "at the time (i.e. before) of the adoption of the Directive" to put something like "at any time provided it is adopted in member state national legislation.

So I think it isn't only a matter to play with "integration capacity" and "reception capacity" in order to adjust annually the numbers but also to set out quota requirements.

Do you start to have quota for migrants workers negociated by Netherland with countries of origin ? Did you heard anything like that in Netherland or Germany or elsewhere ? (I ask specifically about migrant workers because they now how to "relabel" family migration in working migration by giving allowance to work straight on the visa).
REPORT FROM THE COMMISSION TO THE EUROPEAN PARLIAMENT AND
THE COUNCIL
ON THE APPLICATION OF DIRECTIVE 2003/86/EC ON THE RIGHT TO FAMILY
REUNIFICATION
Brussels, 8.10.2008
COM(2008) 610 final

http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/Lex ... FIN:EN:PDF

4.3.5. Waiting period and reception capacity (Article 8(1))

In addition to conditions set out in Article 3, this provision allows Member States to introduce a minimum period of lawful residence (not exceeding two years)21 before reunification can take place.

This means the application may be filed, but Member States may delay granting family reunification until the period determined by their legislation expires. Implementation problems therefore arise with any Member State that stipulates this two-year residence condition to run at the moment of application only (CY, EE, EL and LT).

The second indent provides for a waiting period of three years counted as from the submission of an application, but only in those Member States who have already taken their reception capacity into account at a time of the adoption of the Directive. This standstill derogation was specifically requested by AT - the only Member State using it - as it had a quota system in its national legislation. Upon implementation of the Directive and following the ECJ ruling22

Austria modified its provisions so that three years after an application is filed, a settlement permit for the purpose of family reunification has to be granted regardless of the quota.

This provision precludes the introduction of the notion of reception capacity as a condition in national law.
New forum in french for binationals Europe/third country couples and families :
http://multinational.leforum.eu