ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

passport for a child? UK resident parent!

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

elevendi

passport for a child? UK resident parent!

Post by elevendi » Fri Nov 27, 2009 10:25 pm

my wife is from EU, she's been working here since 2004 became Uk resident in 2007
i am not from EU but recently i became Uk resident too

my son born in 2005

i wanted to make a passport for myself and my son, but the embassy stuff said, they can't issue passport for my son, they advised me to contact Home Office for a passport, ... maybe they meant a british passport, i don't know

what i understood is my son has to apply or register with Home Office first, they embassy stuff were not very clear, if it is a british passport or some sort of document, once i get this, then i can apply for country origin passport, .... i know a bit confusing , because if he has british passport, i don't see the need to apply for another passport!?!?!?

anyway

what they said is, if my child is issued with my country origin passport and travel abroad, he might risk to be no able to enter again to UK!

i just spend a lot of time reading and checking IPS and direct.gov website, but still i am confused about what i have to do next, can't find anything about passport for a child with UK resident parent

i've got this phone number 0300 222 0000 (Adviceline) Liverpool Regional Passport Office, i have to give them a call on monday, but i am hoping for some answer before that.... maybe someone out there with same experience..

many thanks

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:02 pm

Since neither of u are British then neither is the child.
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

elevendi

Post by elevendi » Sat Nov 28, 2009 12:07 am

@Wanderer thanks!

exactly, this is what i thought and this is why i tried to apply for a passport in our embassy! so if he can't apply for british passport and can't apply for our country origin passport, so what is it then i am missing here!?

what kind of document is required from Home Office to get him able to travel abroad ? the child was born in england.

the embassywasn't really clear or helpful, what they said is to apply for british passport , but now i see it is not possible, i guess i have to wait Monday and call try to find out more...
:roll:

vinny

Post by vinny » Sat Nov 28, 2009 1:13 am

This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

parvus1202

Post by parvus1202 » Sat Nov 28, 2009 9:15 am

Maybe you failed to register your child as citizen of your country? If the child is not registered he cannot be given a passport. Ask your embassy how to register your child as citizen.

elevendi

Post by elevendi » Sun Nov 29, 2009 11:14 am

thanks a lot vinny & parvus1202

vinny got the right link, it is under Section 1(3)

Section 1(3) applications - children born in the United Kingdom to parents who are now settled in the United Kingdom

If the child's parent has become settled in the United Kingdom or becomes a British citizen, the child will have an entitlement to register as a British citizen. This registration would be under section 1(3) of the British Nationality Act 1981.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/briti ... /borninuk/

already printed and filled applications, going to send them tomorrow, thank you very much for your help!

JAJ
Australia

Re: passport for a child? UK resident parent!

Post by JAJ » Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:15 am

elevendi wrote:my wife is from EU, she's been working here since 2004 became Uk resident in 2007
i am not from EU but recently i became Uk resident too

my son born in 2005

i wanted to make a passport for myself and my son, but the embassy stuff said, they can't issue passport for my son, they advised me to contact Home Office for a passport, ... maybe they meant a british passport, i don't know
It will make things a lot simpler if you tell us which country you are from, also what is your wife's nationality.

And how did she become UK resident in 2007. On what basis?