ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Please help clarify filling out a point in visa application

USA immigration, green card questions:
Employment based Green Cards | H-1B visas | Family based Visas | Citizenship

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

hpstbteafg
Newly Registered

Please help clarify filling out a point in visa application

Post by hpstbteafg » Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:06 pm

Howdy,

I'm thinking of applying to for a tourist visa to the US and was wondering what the answer should be to section 38 in visa from DS-156.

Section 38

38. IMPORTANT: ALL APPLICANTS MUST READ AND CHECK THE APPROPRIATE BOX FOR EACH ITEM.
A visa may not be issued to persons who are within specific categories defined by law as inadmissible to the United States (except when a waiver is obtained in advance). Is any of the following applicable to you?

And the question that I need clarification with in section 38 is:

Have you ever been arrested or convicted for any offense or crime, even though subject of a pardon, amnesty or other similar legal action? Have you ever unlawfully distributed or sold a controlled substance(drug), or been a prostitute or procurer for prostitutes?

The reason I ask is because I was once arrested (wrongly, on false accusation) and released with no charges within hours, no caution or anything like that.
To me, the answer should certainly be a resounding NO, but I don't want to fall into some pedantic grammar trap, hence it would be nice if you think it's the same also :)

Have a nice evening.

Marco 72
Diamond Member

Re: Please help clarify filling out a point in visa applicat

Post by Marco 72 » Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:29 pm

hpstbteafg wrote:And the question that I need clarification with in section 38 is:

Have you ever been arrested or convicted for any offense or crime, even though subject of a pardon, amnesty or other similar legal action? Have you ever unlawfully distributed or sold a controlled substance(drug), or been a prostitute or procurer for prostitutes?

The reason I ask is because I was once arrested (wrongly, on false accusation) and released with no charges within hours, no caution or anything like that.
To me, the answer should certainly be a resounding NO, but I don't want to fall into some pedantic grammar trap, hence it would be nice if you think it's the same also :)
The question asks if you were ever arrested. You say you were arrested. So it seems to me that the answer should be a resounding YES.

ElenaW
Diamond Member

Re: Please help clarify filling out a point in visa applicat

Post by ElenaW » Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:24 pm

hpstbteafg wrote:Howdy,

I'm thinking of applying to for a tourist visa to the US and was wondering what the answer should be to section 38 in visa from DS-156.

Section 38

38. IMPORTANT: ALL APPLICANTS MUST READ AND CHECK THE APPROPRIATE BOX FOR EACH ITEM.
A visa may not be issued to persons who are within specific categories defined by law as inadmissible to the United States (except when a waiver is obtained in advance). Is any of the following applicable to you?

And the question that I need clarification with in section 38 is:

Have a nice evening.
You must put yes to avoid getting a ban. If it wasn't a big deal and wasn't your fault, you should have nothing to worry about anyways.