ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Submitted my british passport application

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

User

Submitted my british passport application

Post by User » Fri Jul 29, 2005 5:28 pm

Hi All,

I have submitted my british passport application today using the Post office Check-and-send service.

Hoping to see my passport soon.

Documents I submitted include:

1. Completed application form, with the countersignature (basically teh complete section 10 of the application, by my accountant who knows me for more than 2 years now).
2. 2 Photographs, one of which has the "certificate of true likeness of me" by my accountant. at the back of the photograph.
3. My Indian passports (including the additional booklet)
4. My Naturalisation certificate that I recevied from the HO after having got it corrected recently :-)

Paid £47 for the application processing, and an additional £7 for post office check-and-send service and also another £3 for getting back my naturalisation
certificate and indian passport via special delivery.

The service was "super" - she browsed through the documents and even read through teh "how to fill" brochure tha tcomes with the applcaition pack, so that I did not miss enclosing any other needed documents.

15 minutes in all! :-) (including paying the fees).

Notes (form my experience of application filling up process):

1. Ensure you don't tick the "need a 48 page passport", since it is not applicable to First time adult passports. The Application guide does not say this explicitly (it just says this option is not available for children passport).

2. In section 5 (i think) where you fill up the naturalisation certificate details, ensure that you fill the place of issue as the city that is named in the certificate (i guess it wil be London for eveyone, mine said HO London), although i recieved it in Manchester where i took my citizenship ceremony.
This is what i got confirmed from the nationality team!

Will keep you all posted once I get my British passport in hand :-)

regards.

Ta!

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Fri Jul 29, 2005 6:35 pm

User, yes it is a simple procedure, isn't it.

So the Passport application checking service is now £7, but if someone was foolish enough not to use that service then they would probably want to pay about £4 for Special Delivery to ensure that the application and supporting documents got there safely through the post.

So really that checking service only costs about £3 net, and not only that, an application submitted in that way is given priority once it does arrive at the Passport Agency.

User, suspect you will receive your British passport in about a week to 10 days. Enjoy!
John

Joseph
Member of Standing

Post by Joseph » Fri Jul 29, 2005 8:00 pm

John
Agreed that it makes sense for one applicant, but if you have a family of 6 applying at the same time, is the check and send service still worth it?
At what point is it better to go the postal route?
Regards
Joseph

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Fri Jul 29, 2005 8:47 pm

Joseph, I take the point that with the proverbial family of 6 the economics might not be as favourable, but I would still say it is worth using the checking service at the Post Office.

Why? Well they do actually check the form and will not pass one that does not comply. In other words, they cut out the possibility of an application being rejected by the Passport Agency, once it gets there, because a supporting document is missing or ... this really happened .. and I suspect is not that unusual .... when we were queueing briefly with the passport applications for my wife and step-daughter June last year the person immediately in front of us was having their application checked. Application did not pass! Why? Signature outside the box! A little argument ensued, the person saying that their signature only just touched the outside of the signature box. Nevertheless the Post Office person would not let it pass. Now if that person had posted their application rather than used the checking service, just imagine how much delay and inconvenience that might have caused. As it was the person was given another form to fill in and no doubt returned to the Post Office a day or two later.

And don't forget the Passport Agency really do give priority to applications submitted using the checking service.
John

sfgirl

Post by sfgirl » Fri Jul 29, 2005 9:31 pm

John, is it really that hard to fill out a passport application?

I did mine online a few months ago and it seemed really straight-forward as long as you made sure you signed in the box. And even with some back and forth (because they wanted to confirm that as an American I *really* wanted a second, UK, passport) I got it in less than 3 weeks. If I had a large family I'd trust myself to be able to understand the instructions; I also found that (unlike IND) the passport office actually answers email inquires.

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Fri Jul 29, 2005 10:38 pm

sfgirl, you pays your money and takes your choice!

You waited three weeks? My wife had her passport in aboout 10 days, proof that they really do give priority to applications submitted via the checking service.
John

sfgirl

Post by sfgirl » Fri Jul 29, 2005 10:48 pm

John wrote: You waited three weeks?
Sure, but a week of it was dithering with the passport office. They sent me a letter asking me to confirm that I *really* wanted the passport; suggesting that as an American maybe I would want to check with the US consulate before proceeding.

When I confirmed in writing that, yes, I wanted it assuming that I wouldn't lose my US one (it was about this time that I discovered this forum), a woman phoned me from the passport agency to confirm that I really really wanted to go ahead. I then wrote a second letter, using her form of words.

All of this took a week or so. Weird stuff!

Joseph
Member of Standing

Post by Joseph » Sat Jul 30, 2005 12:19 am

sfgirl (as in San Francisco?)

Wierd indeed that you had to go through that final hiccup after all the trouble of getting British nationality!

BTW, next time you renew your US passport you will have to include a copy of your British Naturalisation certificate along with a signed statement saying that you took British Citizenship without the intention of losing your US citizenship. You will also have to strike out the statement in the preprinted application form that says you have not naturalised in another country, because otherwise you would be signing a false application.

But it is all routine stuff. As long as you intended to keep US citizenship and don't formally renounce US citizenship, you have no problem in with dual nationality as an American.

Joseph

sfgirl

Post by sfgirl » Sat Jul 30, 2005 12:43 am

Joseph wrote:sfgirl (as in San Francisco?)

BTW, next time you renew your US passport you will have to include a copy of your British Naturalisation certificate along with a signed statement saying that you took British Citizenship without the intention of losing your US citizenship. You will also have to strike out the statement in the preprinted application form that says you have not naturalised in another country, because otherwise you would be signing a false application.
Yep, SF is San Francisco. I grew up near there (Marin county).

Thanks for the info about the US passport renewal. I didn't know this...

Joseph
Member of Standing

Post by Joseph » Sat Jul 30, 2005 9:19 am

sfgirl
I figured- I went to Cal myself! Thanks to a US Supreme Court ruling about 25 years ago, the US permits dual nationality even when you voluntarily take another citizenship without the intention of renouncing US citizenship. This applies even if the other country's naturalization oath includes a statement that says you renounce all ties to other countries, which you are forced to say to get citizenship even if you don't agree to it. As such, the only way you can really lose US citizenship is to formally renounce in front of a US counsul at a US consulate overseas, and even then he will make you sign statements that show you really mean it and realize the irreversible consequences.

Apparently the UKPA official didn't realise this and she couldn't imagine why an American would ever consider giving up citizenship. Take it as a true complement - now you have the best of both worlds - ability to work in the US and EU. The only downside is the US taxes, but that's another kettle of fish.
Joseph

sfgirl

Post by sfgirl » Sat Jul 30, 2005 10:39 am

Ah, yes, taxes...

I agree about the best of both worlds, it's why I finally - and belatedly - got the UK citizenship. It's nice to have the freedom to work anywhere in the EU!

Thanks.

bhavna

Post by bhavna » Mon Aug 01, 2005 2:25 pm

hello user,

Can you please tell after how many days from approval you got your ceremony invitation letter?

Cheers

User

Post by User » Mon Aug 01, 2005 2:46 pm

Hi,

I got my ceremony letter in about 5 working days after i got my citizenship approval letter.

Ta!

User

Post by User » Sat Aug 06, 2005 1:21 pm

Hi All,

I am very happy to let you all know that I have recieved my British passport today - about 10 minutes back. I and my wife are planning to celeberate this day with joy!!! :D

I had applied using the Post office Check-and-send service submitting my British naturalisation certificate + other documents and its just been one week and I have recd. my British passport! Absolutely brilliant and fast service. I was told it normally takes about 2 weeks. I had rec. my supporting documents yesterday and I was expecting to receive my British passport only next week sometime - but to my surpise joy, i recd. it today :) :D :D

I am very very happy today and am going to celeberate this day with full JOY!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D

Also I noted one other thing - my British pasport does not have any information about my current/permamant address in the UK.

Just curious - any ideas?

But anyway, I am so happy today :D :D :D

Ta!

regards.

Marie B

Post by Marie B » Sun Aug 07, 2005 1:33 pm

Congratulations User, you must be delighted, can't wait til my husband is eligible to apply, will no doubt have a very big party.

British passports do not include details of current/permanent addresses, the address you fill in on the form is just where to send your new passport. I imagine it is something to do with the length of time they are valid for, i.e. 10 years, having to change your passport every time you move would be costly and time consuming for both the applicant and the passport agency.

sjain6ue
Newly Registered

Re: Submitted my british passport application

Post by sjain6ue » Sun Aug 21, 2005 6:12 pm

Hello,

I have seen you mentioning in your post that you have applied for your British passport and you currently have Indian passport.

I am an Indian passport holder with ILR for over 1 year. I will be soon applying for British Naturalisation.

I just wanted to enquire what happens to your Indian passport once you are given a British passpost as well. Will in light of recent Dual Citizneship laws in India, your Indian passport will continue to remain valid?

I have heard that the process for dual-nationality has not been implemented properly so far. This makes me worried about my Indian nationality, once I apply for British passport.

Your guidance can help me knowing how can I continue using both the British and Indian passport once I get naturalised as British citizen.

Many thanks
User wrote:Hi All,

I have submitted my british passport application today using the Post office Check-and-send service.

Hoping to see my passport soon.

Documents I submitted include:

1. Completed application form, with the countersignature (basically teh complete section 10 of the application, by my accountant who knows me for more than 2 years now).
2. 2 Photographs, one of which has the "certificate of true likeness of me" by my accountant. at the back of the photograph.
3. My Indian passports (including the additional booklet)
4. My Naturalisation certificate that I recevied from the HO after having got it corrected recently :-)

Paid £47 for the application processing, and an additional £7 for post office check-and-send service and also another £3 for getting back my naturalisation
certificate and indian passport via special delivery.

The service was "super" - she browsed through the documents and even read through teh "how to fill" brochure tha tcomes with the applcaition pack, so that I did not miss enclosing any other needed documents.

15 minutes in all! :-) (including paying the fees).

Notes (form my experience of application filling up process):

1. Ensure you don't tick the "need a 48 page passport", since it is not applicable to First time adult passports. The Application guide does not say this explicitly (it just says this option is not available for children passport).

2. In section 5 (i think) where you fill up the naturalisation certificate details, ensure that you fill the place of issue as the city that is named in the certificate (i guess it wil be London for eveyone, mine said HO London), although i recieved it in Manchester where i took my citizenship ceremony.
This is what i got confirmed from the nationality team!

Will keep you all posted once I get my British passport in hand :-)

regards.

Ta!

olisun
Diamond Member

Post by olisun » Sun Aug 21, 2005 7:50 pm

You loose your indian passport the moment you get your british citizenship

There is a stick at the top of this forum which has some details about Indian dual nationality

rogerroger
Member of Standing

Post by rogerroger » Sun Sep 04, 2005 6:23 pm

congrats user

how long did it take you to get your naturalisation

can i apply for naturalisation at my local post office too?

olisun
Diamond Member

Post by olisun » Sun Sep 04, 2005 6:28 pm

post office ???? or NCS

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Sun Sep 04, 2005 9:06 pm

Rogerroger, for naturalisation NCS only. For subsequent British passport application use a Post Office.
John

rogerroger
Member of Standing

Post by rogerroger » Sun Sep 04, 2005 9:38 pm

thanks for the clrification, john

marka
Newly Registered

Post by marka » Tue Sep 27, 2005 4:47 pm

sfgirl wrote:
John wrote: You waited three weeks?
Sure, but a week of it was dithering with the passport office. They sent me a letter asking me to confirm that I *really* wanted the passport; suggesting that as an American maybe I would want to check with the US consulate before proceeding.

When I confirmed in writing that, yes, I wanted it assuming that I wouldn't lose my US one (it was about this time that I discovered this forum), a woman phoned me from the passport agency to confirm that I really really wanted to go ahead. I then wrote a second letter, using her form of words.

All of this took a week or so. Weird stuff!
Hi,

Can you tell me the exact wording of the leter you sent them to confirm that you really wanted a british passport even though you had an american one? I am about to apply and would rather just include this additional statement with the application.

Cheers,

bonzo

sfgirl

Post by sfgirl » Tue Sep 27, 2005 5:27 pm

I can't remember and don't know if I still have the letter. Maybe at work but I won't be there for a couple of days.

I would suggest something like this: "I fully understand that the US requires US citizens to enter and leave the US on their US passport. I confirm that I will do so and that I wish to acquire a UK passport to facilitate my non-US travel and my entry into the UK as a citizen of this country. Please proceed with this application accordingly"

I know it's very strange to confirm to the UK that you will follow US laws before they issue with a passport... There was a long discussion of this topic in the thread: http://talk.uk-yankee.com/index.php?topic=11640.0

Good luck

Joseph
Member of Standing

Post by Joseph » Tue Dec 06, 2005 4:37 pm

I’m happy to say that I received our 5 passports back after one week using the cheap postal route. I sent 5 applications early last week (before the fees went up :lol: ) and received them today.
  • • Sent special delivery in one envelope on Monday 28 November to Newport Office. Requested £3 secure delivery of supporting documents.
    • My package received by Newport Office before 1pm on Tuesday according to Royal Mail website.
    • Credit Card was debited on Thursday afternoon.
    • Supporting documents (foreign passports and Naturalisation Certificates) arrived by courier on Saturday morning.
    • The 5 passports arrived by courier this afternoon, exactly one week after the application was received in Newport.
Thanks to sfgirl’s experience and advice I enclosed letter saying that I understood that the US and UK allow dual nationality and that we would continue to use the US passports to enter and leave the US as required by US law. That letter seemed to help as there were no questions raised.

At least at this time of the year, I don’t think it’s really worth paying extra for the Checking service or the Fast Track. Certainly not for multiple applications. Considering that my special delivery postage cost £4.25 for all 5 applications, I saved £30.75 by not using the £7 Checking Service and £141.75 by not using the Fast Track service. Note that I also received the passports within the 1-week period promised by the premium Fast Track service.

I realise that the Checking and premium services are also faster than advertised right now, so if you really need to travel quickly, they may be worth it. Otherwise, why pay extra if you don’t need to?

Joseph

Chess
Diamond Member

Post by Chess » Wed Dec 07, 2005 8:50 am

Congratulations Joseph,

I hope you keep around so that others can benefit from your ernomous experience!
Where there is a will there is a way.