ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

American wife need work permit?

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Lesfaye
Newly Registered

American wife need work permit?

Post by Lesfaye » Fri Jul 29, 2005 9:43 pm

My husband is a UK citizen and I am american we have been living in the states for the last 20 years but are considering a move back to the UK. Do I need to apply for a work permit before we go? Or as the wife of a UK Citizen can I just apply for it once I get there? But of course I will be arriving on a tourist visa...

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Fri Jul 29, 2005 10:33 pm

None of those. And don't arrive on a visitor's visa!. Before you make your journey you need to obtain a spouse visa at your nearest British Mission in the States. Armed with that spouse visa you will be able to work in the UK without needing a Work Permit.

Lots of information available by clicking here.

Which visa type? Click on "Settlement" and then "Settlement : Spouse" on the next screen.

Edit : One further thought, given that the two of you have been married for 20 years, that is, nicely over 4 years, when you go for your visa in the States, instead of the normal two-year spouse visa you should get issued with ILE ... Indefinite Leave to Enter ... the UK. However not all British missions are totally up to speed on their ability to issue ILE and it will do no harm you mentioning ILE at your visa interview. Their ability to issue ILE has existed only since April 2003 and probably comes up only rarely in practice.

Also, just to emphasise, on no account enter the UK as a visitor or tourist and then think you can adjust your status in the UK. You can't! They would promptly tell you to go back to the States and apply for your spouse visa there.
John