ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Freelance/Contractual Income. Tier 1 (Gen). My story.

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

1400 Years

Freelance/Contractual Income. Tier 1 (Gen). My story.

Post by 1400 Years » Sat Dec 05, 2009 2:04 am

Applied in the UK for Tier 1 extension (LTR) following a two-year HSMP visa.

MY APPLICATION
As usual my case was complicated.

a. PHOTO
Have a special needs child - completely in a vegetative state, and limp. Can't hold neck or sit so getting the recommended PP photo taken is always a problem. Laid her on the a gray cushion in the studio and after several shots selected a "best" one and printed it. The background had these creases on the cushion; hence shadows.

Attached an explanation letter about special needs child's situation and the consequent problem with the photograph.

b. FREELANCE / CONTRACTUAL EARNINGS
I teach at a big university. I wanted to show earnings for the period 01 Oct 2008 - 30 Sep 2009. Almost all of my income was based on the salary from the uni. I was short by £749.99. In March, had earned £95 from a student for proofreading his assignment; in June another £95; then on September 28, £505 for a bigger assignment. On the same day, a small company bought one of my courses to run it in Spain, and credited £1100 cash directly into my bank account. Haven't yet paid tax on any of these.

For proof / evidence:
a. Got a letter written by uni Finance Dept listing my salary for the period from the uni.

b. Found an idiot of an FCA - this after much ado - who re-listed the uni earnings on his letterhead, and confirmed the FOUR FREELANCE / CONTRACTUAL transactions as genuine and traceable to my bank.

c. I included a printed-off set each of the four email correspondence that had taken place with clients re my freelance work, and for the convenience of the caseworker, indicated USING STICKY NOTES / POST-ITS what they referred to. Also put a STICKY NOTE on the Accountant's letter stating where to further verify the freelance earnings in my application (ie., go to the print outs of my email correspondence.)

d. On the Bank Statements, indicated the relevant bank transactions / remittances by highlighting in yellow against the figures, not on them. Also put sticky notes to make any clarifications.

e. Prepared a list of all my transactions - salaried + freelance - on an excel sheet and wrote in 10 font size at the bottom that the tax on the freelance income was yet to be paid.

f. Said my prayers and despatched the packet.

TIMELINE
HSMP visa expired: 11 Nov 2009
Application sent: 7 Nov
Application received: 11 Nov
Acknowledgement letter date: 10 Nov
Application assessed: Week beginning 30 Nov for applications received on / before 13 Nov.
Approval letter / visa dated: 02 Dec 2009; visa valid until 02 Dec 2012
Packet received: 05 Dec

BOTTOMLINES
a. If your earnings are genuine, there's no need to fall for the hoo hoo ha ha about first forming and then registering as a company and paying back-registration taxes and fines WHEN YOUR ARE A FREELANCE CONTRACTUAL WAGE EARNER.
Contractors
If you are a contractor who does not operate either through your own company or as an employee, you may send:
an accountant's letter confirming a breakdown of your gross and net earnings for the period claimed; and
personal bank statements clearly highlighting all credit payments made to your account from employment undertaken during the earnings period claimed.
Simple.

Source: http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/worki ... documents/
[Date accessed: 05.12.2009]

b. Be original.

c. Be as genuine and honest as you can.

P.S.
Q. Why such a long post?
A. In gratitude to all the generous and kind people on these fora who are very helpful; and to contribute what I can to those who, like me, have sometimes felt tremendously bored preparing the application, and need an experience-anecdote that might be of some use.

mvent00
Diamond Member

Post by mvent00 » Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:06 am

:D . Great!! Congratulations!!!
1400 Years wrote:Applied in the UK for Tier 1 extension (LTR) following a two-year HSMP visa.

MY APPLICATION

a. PHOTO
Have a special needs child - completely in a vegetative state, and limp. Can't hold neck or sit so getting the recommended PP photo taken is always a problem. Laid her on the a gray cushion in the studio and after several shots selected a "best" one and printed it. The background had these creases on the cushion; hence shadows.

Attached an explanation letter about special needs child's situation and the consequent problem with the photograph.

I teach at a big university. I wanted to show earnings for the period 01 Oct 2008 - 30 Sep 2009. Almost all of my income was based on the salary from the uni. I was short by £749.99. In March, had earned £95 from a student for proofreading his assignment; in June another £95; then on September 28, £505 for a bigger assignment. On the same day, a small company bought one of my courses to run it in Spain, and credited £1100 cash directly into my bank account. Haven't yet paid tax on any of these.

For proof / evidence:
a. Got a letter written by uni Finance Dept listing my salary for the period from the uni.

b. Found an idiot of an FCA - this after much ado - who re-listed the uni earnings on his letterhead, and confirmed the FOUR FREELANCE / CONTRACTUAL transactions as genuine and traceable to my bank.

c. I included a printed-off set each of the four email correspondence that had taken place with clients re my freelance work, and for the convenience of the caseworker, indicated USING STICKY NOTES / POST-ITS what they referred to. Also put a STICKY NOTE on the Accountant's letter stating where to further verify the freelance earnings in my application (ie., go to the print outs of my email correspondence.)

d. On the Bank Statements, indicated the relevant bank transactions / remittances by highlighting in yellow against the figures, not on them. Also put sticky notes to make any clarifications.

e. Prepared a list of all my transactions - salaried + freelance - on an excel sheet and wrote in 10 font size at the bottom that the tax on the freelance income was yet to be paid.

TIMELINE
Application assessed: Week beginning 30 Nov for applications received on / before 13 Nov.

BOTTOMLINES
a. If your earnings are genuine, there's no need to fall for the hoo hoo ha ha about first forming and then registering as a company and paying back-registration taxes and fines WHEN YOUR ARE A FREELANCE CONTRACTUAL WAGE EARNER.
Contractors
If you are a contractor who does not operate either through your own company or as an employee, you may send:
an accountant's letter confirming a breakdown of your gross and net earnings for the period claimed; and
personal bank statements clearly highlighting all credit payments made to your account from employment undertaken during the earnings period claimed.
Simple.

b. Be original.

P.S.
Q. Why such a long post?
A. In gratitude to all the generous and kind people on these fora who are very helpful; and to contribute what I can to those who, like me, have sometimes felt tremendously bored preparing the application, and need an experience-anecdote that might be of some use.

vks

Re: Freelance/Contractual Income. Tier 1 (Gen). My story.

Post by vks » Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:21 am

1400 Years wrote:Applied in the UK for Tier 1 extension (LTR) following a two-year HSMP visa.

MY APPLICATION

a. PHOTO

For proof / evidence:

TIMELINE

BOTTOMLINES
Contractors
Simple.

b. Be original.

P.S.
Q. Why such a long post?
Valuable lesson...Good that you have spent much time in narrating this one...
Regards,
vks

ChetanOjha
United Kingdom

Post by ChetanOjha » Sat Dec 05, 2009 5:02 pm

Good you find time to narrate this. This will be helpful to many people in this forum. Congrates for your approval.

Sushil-ACCA
Diamond Member

Post by Sushil-ACCA » Sun Dec 06, 2009 5:26 pm

MY APPLICATION

a. PHOTO

For proof / evidence:

TIMELINE

BOTTOMLINES
Contractors
Simple.

b. Be original.

P.S.
Q. Why such a long post?

Contractors

if u r a free lanceR u need to register with HMRC , u need to follow hmrc and HO guidelines ,

you got extn means not what u r advising is correct , any way congrates for gettin extn,

vks

Post by vks » Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:51 pm

if u r a free lanceR u need to register with HMRC , u need to follow hmrc and HO guidelines ,

you got extn means not what u r advising is correct , any way congrates for gettin extn,
Is there any guidelines for the forum members to follow while providing your valuable thoughts?(Mind you, I am not picking things)

It would be helpful if you type in completely and not use short messages...
Regards,
vks

mvent00
Diamond Member

Post by mvent00 » Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:17 am

vks wrote:

Is there any guidelines for the forum members to follow while providing your valuable thoughts?(Mind you, I am not picking things)

It would be helpful if you type in completely and not use short messages...
There was a study where the alphabets of most words in a paragraph were spelled wrong but sentences were complete. And most people were able to get the message conveyed in that paragraph. I think it is not the case here. I agree that we should try to write complete and correct words while discussing these serious and important issues, which sometimes matter a lot for a person's future.

1400 Years

Post by 1400 Years » Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:15 am

Sushil-ACCA wrote:

Thanks for your wishes, and advice, Sushil; seriously.

I got the extension "despite" my case, but I [apparently] didn't follow the HMRC and HO guidelines; would it be fair to think that it is an anomaly, and negligence on the part of the HO to have okayed the application?

It is indeed very important for one to understand these systems, really, like as already aptly said, it is make or break for the careers, the pockets and families of people.