ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Accumulating docs. for SET(M) - ILR for my wife!

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

User

Accumulating docs. for SET(M) - ILR for my wife!

Post by User » Sun Jul 31, 2005 1:39 pm

Hi All,

My wife is in a settlement visa for 2 years from this April (2005) - we got married recently this year! :-) and I am a British citizen (proud to be one :D). I was an ILR holder when my wife got her settlement visa.

As per SET (M) (ILR form), I and my wife will need to show 10 bills for each year (jointly in our names) so she can prove her continuous stay in the UK with me as my wife.

We are accumulating all bills addressed to our names (both individual and joint ones) so she can apply for her ILR in 2 years time (after completing 2 years of stay in teh UK with me as my wife on her settlement visa).

In this regard, i have a couple of questions / issues that needs sorted out.

Any answers or clarifications will be of immense help, so it is not too late in future, in the way we collect bills in our names :D

Question 1. If the biils have slight differences (as described below), would that cause any issues?

For example, one bill addressed my name has Flat XX, but for another bill addressed to my wife's name in the same address does not have the "Flat XX" but just has XX (being the flat number), although the rest of the address is the same including the city and Post code etc.

Question 2. My wifes' bills and some of the bills addressed to both of our names have my wife's name like so:

My wife's Surname and her initials (which is the first letter of her "first name" - i.e "given name").

Similarly mine too, i.e. My surname and my intials (first letter from my first name / given name) - I guess this is the way bills and documents are addressed in the UK.

Would this cause any problems, because none of the bills will reflect my wife's first name - it just has my wife's surname (which is incidentally her father's name).

I tried to ask my bill providers (i.e. the service companies to issue bills with my wife's first name, but they said they only will print her surname and not her first name).

Hope having bills with our names as described above (i.e. <Surname> <First letter of my/wife's "first name" / "given name">) won't have any issues while proving these as documents with SET (M).

Question 3: Also i don't understand the Point 3 of Note 7A. But anyway, my wife holds a Non-EEA passport (Indian passport), so I guess she meets the requirement specified in point 1 in Note 7A.
So I guess we need not worry about point 3 (i.e. note in the left hand side) in Note 7A of Set (M).

Question 4: If my wife goes to India during her pregnancy, lets say for 5-6 months, what effect does this time period of being away / out of UK, have on her ILR application. Would this be considered on humaitarian grounds and not taken as an issue while granting ILR (i.e would they consider this not affecting the maximum period of her stay that she can stay outside the UK in order to qualify for her ILR at teh end of the 2 years of Marriage / settlement visa).

Question 5: I have not heard of any renewals of settlement / marraige visa. What happens if, due to any reason, like in point 4 above, the ILR application is delayed or rejected, would the spouse get a extension of the settlement visa until we make good so as to qualify for ILR again for her.

Obviously the marriage would still continue - so would the HO grant an extension of settlement visa?

I know these are loads of questions, please take time to answer these - i just want to get things right well ahead of time so there are no issues in getting the ILR for my wife in 2007.

Any advices / clarifications will be appreicated, since I have started to accumulate the neccesary bills / documents that I and my wife will need to keep ready while applying for ILR for her when she would complete 2 years of stay as my wife on her settlement visa.

Thanks for your time. :)
regards.

Ta!

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Sun Jul 31, 2005 10:25 pm

Hi User, what you are doing, starting gathering evidence now rather than leaving it to the end of the two-year period, makes a lot of sense. In that way you will probably end up with many more than the number of pieces of evidence that IND require, which can't be a bad thing.

Before I go on, just to correct one thing you say. You say "I and my wife will need to show 10 bills for each year" but that is not quite right. You need to provide 10 pieces of evidence per year but bills are only one of the sort of things that can be provided. There are lots of others. Any communication from a Government Department will also count ... PAYE Notice of Coding, for example .... Bank Statements ... etc etc.. Also, "local health authority" ... even something like a cervical swear test reminder letter can be used.

Using your numbering :-
  1. Given that you will probably have many more than 10 pieces of evidence why not leave out anything that causes the sort of query that you highlight?
  2. No problem at all - quite normal
  3. Your wife clearly has a passport so as you say the first note is relevant to her. Accordingly the third point cannot possibly be relevant.
Hope this helps.
John