ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

CitizenshipEligibility fo dependents under HSMP JR

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

rajgoreja
Newly Registered

CitizenshipEligibility fo dependents under HSMP JR

Post by rajgoreja » Mon Dec 07, 2009 5:00 pm

I am writing to find out the eligibility of my dependents (my wife and daughter) for British Citizenship under HSMP Judicial review.

I entered in the UK in January 2005 on HSMP and completed 4 years in UK in January 2009.

My wife entered in the UK on January 2006 as HSMP dependent and daughter was born in April 2008 in India and entered in the UK in June 2008.

All of us received Permanent Residency in Oct 2009 under HSMP Judicial Review. We have also receive a letter stating that we have received a back dated Permanent residency and should be eligible to apply for Citizenship in January 2010.

Because, I will be completing 5 years in January 2010 and should be eligible to apply for Citizenship. Since my dependents have not yet completed 5 years. I am not sure if my wife and daughter will also be able to apply at the same time for Citizenship or will they have wait until I become British Citizen.

I have tried calling many immigration agents however getting mixed answer. Some say they should be able to apply with me under specific immigration rule other say they cant.
So I am very confused.

I would highly appreciate if anyone of you can provide some clarification on this?

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:19 am

Your wife is not eligible until she has completed 5 years in the UK. Or if you become British sooner.

You can apply for registration for your daughter at the same time as you apply for naturalisation.

IMBerocca
Newly Registered

Post by IMBerocca » Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:18 am

Your wife can apply for citizenship just after you receive your UK Passport, as wife of British Citizen for which residence requirement is 3 years.

Hope it helps.

OFCHARITY
Member of Standing

Post by OFCHARITY » Sat Dec 12, 2009 9:48 pm

Your wife can apply as soon as you attend your citizenship ceremony and recieve your naturalisation certificate, you do not have to wait till you recieve your passport.
'In everything give thanks'

muskat
Newly Registered

Post by muskat » Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:54 am

I hae a similar issue, I arrived in the UK in July 2005, initially on student visa but i converted to HSMP in November of that year. My five arrived in February 2006 and my soon was born in the UK. We got ILR in Nov 2009. Going by these dates, i will complete 5 years in July 2010 but my wife will not complete 5 years until Feb 2011. My questions are;

1. Can i claim the fews months i was a student to complete my five years or wait till Nov 2010?
2. As asked above can my wife apply immediately i get my own citizenship?

I shall appreciate prompt responses.

Regards

f2k
Diamond Member

Post by f2k » Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:43 pm

1/ Yes
2/ Yes

Subject to all the other requirements being met

muskat
Newly Registered

Post by muskat » Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:33 pm

many thanks for the prompt response.