ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Czech Schengen visa: For how many days

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

ashubhatt

Czech Schengen visa: For how many days

Post by ashubhatt » Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:30 pm

Quick Question Guys,

What visa to take?

I'm visiting/applying first time for schengen visa for prague(never applied for schengen visa for any country). I have booked my flight & hotel already to helo embassy processing my visa fast & avoiding unnecessary delays/hassels.

Question is "Should I go for 90 days or more then 90 days visa?" Pros and cons, please.

http://www.mzv.cz/london/en/visa_and_co ... visas.html

stmellon

Post by stmellon » Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:26 am

The fact that you are asking indicates that you don't need more than 90 days, so I would advise against applying for that category.

When you apply for a Schengen for the first time, you are often given a visa only for the amount of time you are booked to travel (I applied for a 3-month visa for my wife, but as we were going to Belgium for a weekend she got a 3 day visa).

Also, it takes longer to apply for the >90 day visa as the application is forwarded to the Czech Republic Aliens Police, apparently...
http://www.mzv.cz/london/en/visa_and_co ... _days.html

ca.funke
Belgium

Re: Czech Schengen visa: For how many days

Post by ca.funke » Fri Dec 11, 2009 8:34 am

ashubhatt wrote:"Should I go for 90 days or more then 90 days visa?" Pros and cons, please.
I have a feeling you are mixing the "period of stay" vs. "entries".

From what you write I guess you don´t want to stay more than 90 days altogether, but rather want to go several times?

So what you need is a "90-days" visa, but "multiple entry".

Due to the erratic visa-procedures of the different embassies it´s impossible to tell what if any visa you´ll end up getting. If this is your first application, it may be worth applying for <90 days, single entry, followed by <90days multiple entry so you don´t have to re-apply all the time.

Good luck. :)

86ti
Diamond Member

Post by 86ti » Fri Dec 11, 2009 8:40 am

It is quite obvious from the cited web page that the >90 day visa is a national D type visa. Such visa would typically only be issued for special purposes and not for touristic ones or short term visits.

ashubhatt

Post by ashubhatt » Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:45 am

Honestly, I have a good intention to travel in schengen counties till my visa expires(If I get one)..I'm sure If I will travelling to Prague,but, Yes other schengen countries definately..

What visa would you recommend to me? less than 90 days or more? Or which is easier to get...surely Im looking for multiple entry visa..

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:14 am

ashubhatt wrote:Honestly, I have a good intention to travel in schengen counties till my visa expires(If I get one)..I'm sure If I will travelling to Prague,but, Yes other schengen countries definately..

What visa would you recommend to me? less than 90 days or more? Or which is easier to get...surely Im looking for multiple entry visa..
The 90 day + one is a Czech National visa I think, with added Schengen zone functionality, I doubt u'd get that one unless u had strong ties to CR plus I bet that one's not free.

Realistically, for a first Schengen it's best to be prudent, chances are they will only grant u a short-term single-entry even if u ask for a two-year multi, so in my opinion I'd just ask for the minimum, shows that ur not trying to get a visa for another state and just using the CR one as a jumping off point.

I can say that between us we've applied for a bout 12 visas including Schengen ones and never been refused on any.
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

ashubhatt

Post by ashubhatt » Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:19 am

Yes, make sense.

Thanks for your help

Prawo

Post by Prawo » Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:40 am

A visa issued by one of the members of Schengen is usually always a visa for all Schengen states.
It can never be longer than 90 days.

If you intend to stay in the Schengen area, a single entry visa will do.

So one Czeck visa will do for your travel purposes.

Make a good schedule of your trip.
To avoid unnecessary complications I suggest you enter through Prague, keep it as your bases and indicate most of your stay will be there.

Once you have the visa there is no problem changing these plans, as long as you first arrival city will be Prague.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:28 am

Prawo wrote:A visa issued by one of the members of Schengen is usually always a visa for all Schengen states.
U sure Prawo?

I know each VISIT cannot be longer than 90 days but my mate swears his wife has a two-year Schengen from Latvia I think - ie it expires two-years hence but valid for 90 days in any 180 for travel.

Though I've never actually seen it....
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

djb123
Member of Standing

Post by djb123 » Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:44 am

Wanderer wrote:
Prawo wrote:A visa issued by one of the members of Schengen is usually always a visa for all Schengen states.
U sure Prawo?

I know each VISIT cannot be longer than 90 days but my mate swears his wife has a two-year Schengen from Latvia I think - ie it expires two-years hence but valid for 90 days in any 180 for travel.

Though I've never actually seen it....
Doesn't sound correct to me either.. My wife has got two in the past (Italian consulate last year, and French Embassy a year or so before that) and both were for 6 months. Also I've heard of someone very recently getting a year.

Prawo

Post by Prawo » Sun Dec 13, 2009 12:43 pm

I understand the confusion.

Visa have a date its validity starts and the validity ends.
The latter is in normal cases about 7-14 days later than the duration of the allowed stay.

However Schengen visa can be issued with an end date that makes the visa valid longer, for instance one, two or maximum five years.
In these cases the visa allows multiple entry.

Such visa are issued to travellers that can be trusted (because of visa or immigration past for instance, or retired parents), which in my opinion should include all persons that are covered by the freedom of movement within the EU (on the basis of directive 2004/38/EC). This opinion unfortunately is not shared by most embassies.

Apart from the time within which a visa can be used, there is the amount of days it can be used.
This can never exceed the mentioned 90 days within a period of 180 days.

Should the 90 days counted as of the day of entry exceed the last date of validity mentioned in the visa (because you arrived late), this last date is decisive about the moment you have to leave the Schengen area. So in such a case you cannot complete the number of days mentioned in the visa.