ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Is voting mandatory : Is paying council tax mandatory

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

UK_UK_UK
Newly Registered

Is voting mandatory : Is paying council tax mandatory

Post by UK_UK_UK » Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:29 am

Hi

A friend of mine was mentioning that Voting in elections is mandatory while applying for naturilization after ILR . i had never registered myself in voters list ....

q1) Is it true that i need to be in voters list ?

q2) he mentioned that it would be difficult if i had never paid coucil tax , gas bills etc

I , in past 5 years had always stayed in shared accomodation where in the agent pays the council tax etc etc . He just rented me the rooms on monthly pay which included these taxes bills etc .

Do u think it will be an issue .

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:11 am

Using your numbering :-
  1. You don't tell us what nationality you are now but given you are clearly not British, yet, unless you a Commonwealth Citizen or a Citizen of an EU country, you have no entitlement to be on the voters' list. In any case voting in the UK is not compulsory.
  2. Whoever mentioned this to you is talking a total load of rubbish. It is simply not an issue.
Last edited by John on Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John

UK_UK_UK
Newly Registered

Post by UK_UK_UK » Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:10 pm

John wrote:Using your numbering :-
  1. You don't tell us what nationality you are now but given you are clearly not British, yet, unless you a Commonwealth Citizen or a Citizen of an EU country, you have no entitlement to be on the voters' list. In any case voting in the UK is not compulsory.
  2. However mentioned this to you is talking a total load of rubbish. It is simply not an issue.
Hi John , thanks a lot of clearing my doubts . This site is a gem...