ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EC: First Entry into UK

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

JackPot
Newly Registered

EC: First Entry into UK

Post by JackPot » Fri Aug 05, 2005 7:45 am

Hi
I received my HSMP approval, I am based in South Africa. I need to enter the UK during November/December to avoid my EC lapsing (for which I still need to apply)

Question around my first entry into the UK: since I would like to be home for Christmas in SA, would the customs officials accept it that my first visit to the UK based on HSMP EC would be a short one, i.e. only to go to the UK to look for employment during end of November for say 2 weeks (job-hunting, interviews etc.), to return early in 2006 to commence with such employment? So I need to enter the UK purely to "activate" my EC, and then return in the new year: would that be acceptable?

Also, how important is it to have proof of accommodation?

Thanks
JackPot

dhavaluk
Member of Standing

Post by dhavaluk » Fri Aug 05, 2005 10:16 am

Dear JackPot,

You can definitely enter in UK just to activate your EC and leave the country at anytime. At least i thinki have heard the similar case from anothe rmember in the forum, who did so, adn s/he returned to UK at the end of her HSMP/EC was expiring, and applied for the extenion and surprisingly, got it too.

Regarding the proof of accommodation, I'll let you know in a day or two as two of my friends form my town only had applied in alst days and have got their passports back, yet to confirm whther they got EC or refusal. and I have a doubt that they had any proofs for accommodation there, if they had, they were simply an invitation letters, nothign to support (no bills, etc.).

JackPot
Newly Registered

Post by JackPot » Fri Aug 05, 2005 10:38 am

Thank you for the prompt response.
Awaiting more info on accommodation, and maybe confirmation about short first entry into UK from other forum members.

bani

Re: EC: First Entry into UK

Post by bani » Fri Aug 05, 2005 11:22 am

First of all, Congratulations on your HSMP approval!

If you get your EC starting in Nov/Dec, there is no problem with entering the country in January, 2 months after the visa starts. I think it would be difficult to look for employment in late Nov, so close to the Christmas holidays. It will be best to wait until Jan. You have a whole year to activate the visa anyway, though it is best to do it within the first 3 months.

But if you still want to be here late Nov for a short trip, there would be no problems with that.

As for accommodation, from what I read in previous posts, room reservation is fine to show for EC. If you are staying with friends, just have them write a letter of sponsorship (look at ukvisas.gov.uk for guidance on this) and send a copy of utility bills as proof of residence. But some consulates are more strict, it would be best to get advice from someone who also got EC from SA.

Good luck :).
JackPot wrote:Hi
I received my HSMP approval, I am based in South Africa. I need to enter the UK during November/December to avoid my EC lapsing (for which I still need to apply)

Question around my first entry into the UK: since I would like to be home for Christmas in SA, would the customs officials accept it that my first visit to the UK based on HSMP EC would be a short one, i.e. only to go to the UK to look for employment during end of November for say 2 weeks (job-hunting, interviews etc.), to return early in 2006 to commence with such employment? So I need to enter the UK purely to "activate" my EC, and then return in the new year: would that be acceptable?

Also, how important is it to have proof of accommodation?

Thanks
JackPot

JackPot
Newly Registered

Post by JackPot » Fri Aug 05, 2005 3:39 pm

Thank you for the response.

My dates are as follows:

HSMP approval letter dated 8 June 2005
So I have until 8 September to apply for EC, correct?
And therefore I MUST enter the UK before 8 December correct? Otherwise the HSMP approval as well as the EC will lapse...

That is how I understand it...

homeistheuk
Newly Registered

Post by homeistheuk » Fri Aug 05, 2005 6:25 pm

JackPot wrote:Thank you for the response.

My dates are as follows:

And therefore I MUST enter the UK before 8 December correct? Otherwise the HSMP approval as well as the EC will lapse...

If your HSMP approval letter is dated 8 June 2005, you have three months from that date to apply for the EC, which means you have until 8 September 2005 to apply. If you choose to apply around that time, you can then additionally post date the EC for another three months, which gives you 6 months of total time. The date that your EC is post dated to, that is when your one year deadline starts to tick.

bani

Post by bani » Fri Aug 05, 2005 7:16 pm

As suggested earlier, you can ask that the EC be postdated. If you apply Sept 1 (please do not wait until the very last day), you can ask it to be postdated to Dec.1 (up to three months). I don't think all consulates allow postdating, so it's good to find out.

Also, the EC/visa stamp itself is valid for 1 year, and does not lapse after 3 months. If you do get it valid from Dec. 1, it is ok to let a month to 3 (or more even... but it is to your advantage to start the jobhunt as soon as possible) go by before entering the UK. So if you can do this, it's ok to enter the UK in January for the first time.
JackPot wrote:Thank you for the response.

My dates are as follows:

JackPot
Newly Registered

Post by JackPot » Mon Aug 08, 2005 7:56 am

Thank you!