ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Can a US citizens marry ILR and work in UK

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

vincent27
Newly Registered

Can a US citizens marry ILR and work in UK

Post by vincent27 » Sun Jan 03, 2010 3:42 am

Can a US citizens marry ILR and work in UK, Actually my girl friend is is in UK and on ILR status, we are planning to live in UK , , now can i get residency there in UK if i mary her,
you reply will be highly appreciated!

vinny

Post by vinny » Sun Jan 03, 2010 7:08 am

This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

ElenaW
Diamond Member

Re: Can a US citizens marry ILR and work in UK

Post by ElenaW » Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:26 pm

vincent27 wrote:Can a US citizens marry ILR and work in UK, Actually my girl friend is is in UK and on ILR status, we are planning to live in UK , , now can i get residency there in UK if i mary her,
No, you can't just get ILR immediately after marriage. First you have to apply for a spousal visa (spend two years in the uk on this visa)and now that the rules have changed you would fall into probationary citizenship after that which there is not much information about at the current time. ILR will be abolished by July 2011.
I tell it like it is.

vincent27
Newly Registered

yes but it says about british citizen NOT about ILR

Post by vincent27 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:36 pm

yes but it says about british citizen NOT about ILR.

can i mary a ILR and live and work in UK

high_aimer

Post by high_aimer » Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:06 pm

In simple words, yes you can work in the UK under ILR spouse visa. But what other members are trying to explain you that you won't get ILR straight away instead you'll be granted a limited visa to start with.

ElenaW
Diamond Member

Re: yes but it says about british citizen NOT about ILR

Post by ElenaW » Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:10 pm

vincent27 wrote:yes but it says about british citizen NOT about ILR.

can i mary a ILR and live and work in UK
Also, by the time you qualify for ILR it will no longer be in existence, you will fall under probationary citizenship which is another hurdle before citizenship.
I tell it like it is.

vincent27
Newly Registered

Post by vincent27 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:28 am

i am not interesting in ILR in UK AT ALL, I have better opertunities in US, but my girl friends wants to live there for couple of years,
Can I get fiance visa to enter UK to mary ?
and later get a work permitt later ?

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:34 am

vincent27 wrote:i am not interesting in ILR in UK AT ALL, I have better opertunities in US, but my girl friends wants to live there for couple of years,
Can I get fiance visa to enter UK to mary ?
and later get a work permitt later ?
You can't work on a Fiance visa, and u can only get a work permit if u qualify for one.

Also u must intend to make the UK ur home so I dunno how u'd get round that....

How many girlfriends have you got?
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

ElenaW
Diamond Member

Post by ElenaW » Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:48 am

lol if you have multiple girl friends, I'm afraid you can only marry one of them and move to the uk, the rest have to be left behind. Fiance visa is for 6 months and you can't work on it like wanderer said. If you get married and are granted a spousal visa, you can start working right away.
I tell it like it is.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:32 pm

If your girlfriend has ILR, you can apply for a fiance visa (which I believe is what you're asking). The fiance visa will allow you to enter the UK and marry within 6 months...then you would switch to a spouse visa from within the UK and be legally entitled to work once the spouse visa has been granted. The cost of this will be over £1000 for the 2 visas.
However...are you both over 21 and you've met in person?

kindley

Post by kindley » Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:28 pm

vincent27 wrote:Can a US citizens marry ILR and work in UK, Actually my girl friend is is in UK and on ILR status, we are planning to live in UK , , now can i get residency there in UK if i mary her,
Yes, you can but you have to apply for a spousal visa which will give you a temporary leave to recogn in the UK for 2 years..
Always Seek Further Opinion (ASFO)

kindley

Post by kindley » Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:31 pm

Yes, you can but you have to apply for a spousal visa which will give you a temporary leave to remain in the UK for 2 years..
Always Seek Further Opinion (ASFO)

vincent27
Newly Registered

Post by vincent27 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:21 am

thanks for you reply, i also have follow up question my girl friend is kind of scared to leave UK before she gets her UK citizenship that is why i want to live with her before we make any decision. How long she can be out side of UK on ILR ?

thanks to all of you for replying to me