ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

working hours while waiting PSW visa decision

Archived UK Tier 1 (Post-Study Work) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

ainakn
Newly Registered

working hours while waiting PSW visa decision

Post by ainakn » Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:27 pm

hello,

i wonder if i am allowed to work more than 20 hours while waiting for PSw visa decision.

my student visa was expired on 31/12/09, and now waiting for PSW visa

appearently, my empoyer allows me to work only 20 hrs per week at this moment after graduation ceremony date, however i find a few university websites informing that you can work unlimited hours while waiting for PSW visa decision even after student visa expire but you must not pursue a career by filling a permanent full-time vacancy.

as i understand, it seems i can work more than 20 hrs like under casual contract. but i cant find the right answer because some uni website says 20hrs.... and HR keeps telling me i cant work more than 20 hrs in this condition.

does anybody know about it?

krhcas
Newly Registered

Post by krhcas » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:40 pm

If you have finished your degree programme, or are outside of normal term time, you are allowed to work full-time(37.5 hours) each week. However, this needs to be in a temporary or interim capacity. You are legally not allowed to work in a permanent role for a company while still on a student visa. The HR team at your company should know this. If they do not, have them consult an employment law solicitor.

ash786
BANNED

Re: working hours while waiting PSW visa decision

Post by ash786 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:49 am

ainakn wrote:hello,

i wonder if i am allowed to work more than 20 hours while waiting for PSw visa decision.

my student visa was expired on 31/12/09, and now waiting for PSW visa

appearently, my empoyer allows me to work only 20 hrs per week at this moment after graduation ceremony date, however i find a few university websites informing that you can work unlimited hours while waiting for PSW visa decision even after student visa expire but you must not pursue a career by filling a permanent full-time vacancy.

as i understand, it seems i can work more than 20 hrs like under casual contract. but i cant find the right answer because some uni website says 20hrs.... and HR keeps telling me i cant work more than 20 hrs in this condition.

does anybody know about it?
1. If u have successfully completed u degree and not required to go to college or wait for the dissertation results then u can work full time.
2. U wud have been given 4 months extra on u visa for the course.
3. U can work as many hours as u want not just 37.5.
4. U shud show the following letter to the HR department as it outlines u situation by the HO in a letter to UKCISA.

http://www.ukcisa.org.uk/files/pdf/work ... ng_psw.pdf

ainakn
Newly Registered

Post by ainakn » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:55 pm

thank you very much for your help!

today, HR told me that i have to stick with 20hrs till i get the visa, again.

theys said this is what they have been told by Home Office.
i really doubt about it
maybe they have no idea about it or don wanna take any risk....?!

its very stupid though.... :?

MusingTots
Newly Registered

Post by MusingTots » Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:47 pm

Am a Dependant and have been working and recently applied with the main applicant for the PWS Visa.

Can I keep on working until a decision is made (since that was my status before I applied).

What law says I can or can't

ash786
BANNED

Post by ash786 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:51 pm

MusingTots wrote:Am a Dependant and have been working and recently applied with the main applicant for the PWS Visa.

Can I keep on working until a decision is made (since that was my status before I applied).

What law says I can or can't
1. Yes thats correct as the main applicant leave is extended which includes all the dependents untill a decision is reached.