ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British Consulat lost original marriage certificate

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

roros
Newly Registered

British Consulat lost original marriage certificate

Post by roros » Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:33 pm

Hello

I applied for the EU family visa in my country,I got the visa 3 days later but they told me that somehow they lost my original marriage certificate.

I came to the UK and send my application to the home office for the residency card without the original marriage certificate.would that affect my application? I sent a copy.

Also the british consulate refused to admit in writing that they lost it !

another question,if I request our passports from the Home office ,wolud that delay our application? as we have urgent travel plans

Thanks

Rozen
Diamond Member

Re: British Consulat lost original marriage certificate

Post by Rozen » Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:02 pm

roros wrote:Hello

I applied for the EU family visa in my country,I got the visa 3 days later but they told me that somehow they lost my original marriage certificate.

I came to the UK and send my application to the home office for the residency card without the original marriage certificate.would that affect my application? I sent a copy.

Also the british consulate refused to admit in writing that they lost it !

another question,if I request our passports from the Home office ,wolud that delay our application? as we have urgent travel plans

Thanks
Do you mean a copy, as in a 'photocopy'? Or a copy, as in a copy of the original, from the issuing authority?
If you can, I think it would be better for you to get a copy (not photocopy) from the issuing authority where you were married.
As for the passports, there is no problem to request them back during the EEA application process (unlike under normal UK immigration rules).
Your application will remain in 'queue' as normal. You will later receive a letter to send them back to HO once your application is allocated to a caseworker.

roros
Newly Registered

Copy

Post by roros » Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:37 pm

Thanks for that
yes I meant the original
they lost the original and a copy will not be accepted by the HO

Rozen
Diamond Member

Post by Rozen » Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:43 pm

Can you not get a copy of the original marriage cert in the country where your marriage took place?
I know that in England one is able to get copies of birth, death and marriage certificates from the GRO! (If the birth, death or marriage happened in UK, ofcourse! :wink: )
I doubt that a mere photocopy will work! Perhaps if you had it certified before the original was lost, you might get away with it.

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru
Location: does not matter if you are with your EEA family member

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:32 pm

You should request compensations from the consulate to pay for the replacement marriage certificate.

I would also suggest you get several replacement copies of your marriage certificate when and if you can. It makes it a lot easier to send them off when you know it was a $10 replacement that gets lost.