ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Spelling mistake in my name in degree certificate

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

gtd
Newly Registered

Spelling mistake in my name in degree certificate

Post by gtd » Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:03 pm

Hi,

I have a problem in my degree certificate. My name in degree certificate and passport are different. Sanjai Gupta is printed as Sanjay Gupta in Degree certificate. (i as Y) Im in UK now and planned to apply in 2 days... I saw from the forums that we can get it signed by a notary. Please let me know what is the format for getting it signed by a notary public and how much it costs.

Also, do we need to mention this in the covering letter? Please advise!

Thanks!

hsmpaspirant2008

Re: Spelling mistake in my name in degree certificate

Post by hsmpaspirant2008 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:12 pm

Usually notary certificate is provided for expansion of initials and not for change of name.

You should have got your degree certificate/passport corrected to your right name when it was issued.

HO might overlook it but there is always a risk.
gtd wrote:Hi,

I have a problem in my degree certificate. My name in degree certificate and passport are different. Sanjai Gupta is printed as Sanjay Gupta in Degree certificate. (i as Y) Im in UK now and planned to apply in 2 days... I saw from the forums that we can get it signed by a notary. Please let me know what is the format for getting it signed by a notary public and how much it costs.

Also, do we need to mention this in the covering letter? Please advise!

Thanks!

gtd
Newly Registered

Post by gtd » Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:41 pm

Experts advise plz. I am planning to apply with in 2 days... :(

gtd
Newly Registered

Post by gtd » Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:29 pm

This worries me a lot. somebody pleeeeaaaase advise!!

yasa
Diamond Member

Post by yasa » Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:09 pm

gtd wrote:This worries me a lot. somebody pleeeeaaaase advise!!
The only option is to change the name.... u cannot notarize it...
=======================
Every cloud has silver lining
=======================

crowbar6
Member of Standing

Post by crowbar6 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:53 pm

gtd wrote:This worries me a lot. somebody pleeeeaaaase advise!!
Get the University/Institute that awarded the degree to issue a letter stating the error in name or get the certificate changed to your name. Having said that, there isn't any time left if you are applying in a couple of days. If you can't postpone then good luck!
Regards,
crowbar6

gtd
Newly Registered

Got my visa today

Post by gtd » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:50 pm

Hi guys,

I got my visa approved today. Here are some points that can help.

I applied with my original masters degree wherein my name was spelt Sanjay Gupta instead of Sanja'i' Gupta. My master's degree has my photograph printed on it(luckily the photograph happened to be the same as the one that I used to apply for passport).

I also enclosed a declaration from notary public format being

(1) I confirm that I am the person referred to above and produce certified copy of my passport as exhibit "_____" 2) My Degree from the university of ______________ shows my given name as being spelt as "Sanjay" whereas my correct given name is spelt "Sanjai" and I produce certified copy of Degree as shown on exhibit "__________".

My personal advise is to get the certificate changed to the correct name / to get a letter from the university as suggested by the seniors. Because it purely depends on the caseworkder and hence it is always better to be on the PERFECT side. Since I didn't have time to get the letter from university and had only this option, i applied with the notary public declaration knowing the result may be 50:50. I thank God, after several sleepless nights, I got the approved visa today.

Thanks for all the support from the seniors and members of this forum.

matlondon
Newly Registered

Re: Got my visa today

Post by matlondon » Thu Oct 15, 2015 1:20 pm

gtd wrote:Hi guys,

I got my visa approved today. Here are some points that can help.

I applied with my original masters degree wherein my name was spelt Sanjay Gupta instead of Sanja'i' Gupta. My master's degree has my photograph printed on it(luckily the photograph happened to be the same as the one that I used to apply for passport).

I also enclosed a declaration from notary public format being

(1) I confirm that I am the person referred to above and produce certified copy of my passport as exhibit "_____" 2) My Degree from the university of ______________ shows my given name as being spelt as "Sanjay" whereas my correct given name is spelt "Sanjai" and I produce certified copy of Degree as shown on exhibit "__________".

My personal advise is to get the certificate changed to the correct name / to get a letter from the university as suggested by the seniors. Because it purely depends on the caseworkder and hence it is always better to be on the PERFECT side. Since I didn't have time to get the letter from university and had only this option, i applied with the notary public declaration knowing the result may be 50:50. I thank God, after several sleepless nights, I got the approved visa today.

Thanks for all the support from the seniors and members of this forum.

Thanks for your advice... I'm in the same boat. I have no time to go back to college to change the name, I have mailed them to send me a letter but no response yet! So I am getting a notary to make an affidavit. I don't have another option, so I hope this works!