ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Proof that a marriage visa has been cancelled.

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

WalkingContradiction
Newly Registered

Proof that a marriage visa has been cancelled.

Post by WalkingContradiction » Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:59 pm

A friend of mine who recently moved back to his home country due to a marriage break-up, is convinced that his wife has no right to cancel his settlement visa because they are now seperated. He thinks he is still allowed to come back to the UK to collect personal belongings in her possesion, despite the fact she has told him she has cancelled the marriage visa. Aparently he has been told by friends that his wife can't canel his visa, and he won't believe me when I say that she can!!

Even though he may sound like a right dafty to you lot, he is still my friend and i don't want to see him waste his money trying to come here (he doesn't have alot) when he won't get any further than the passport stand! Is there any way we can contact the British Embassady to confirm whether his visa is valid or not? I think the only way to solve this problem is to have it in writing infront of his face.

Thanks.

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:04 pm

His wife has no right to cancel his visa, but has every right to report the change of circumstances to UKBA, who acting on that new information might well cancel the visa.

However, if UKBA do not cancel the visa, there is nothing more the wife can do.
John

WalkingContradiction
Newly Registered

Post by WalkingContradiction » Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:14 pm

John wrote: who acting on that new information might well cancel the visa.
thankyou very much! How can he check if his visa is cancelled or not?

Pakhtoon
- thin ice -

Post by Pakhtoon » Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:03 pm

Even if his wife hasn't contacted the UKBA and nothing has been done to his visa, he can still be in trouble if at the airport they start asking him questions since the reason he was given visa for, is not there anymore.

Thats my understanding.
“Terrorism is the war of the poor; war is the terrorism of the rich.â€

batleykhan

Post by batleykhan » Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:24 pm

Even if his wife hasn't contacted the UKBA and nothing has been done to his visa, he can still be in trouble if at the airport they start asking him questions since the reason he was given visa for, is not there anymore.
How would they know that if nobody has told UKBA.?

If questioned on arrival he can just say he has just returned from holiday. Its very unlikely that they will interrogate him, unless they have some info that his marriage has ceased

INSIDER

Post by INSIDER » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:36 pm

batleykhan wrote:
How would they know that if nobody has told UKBA.?

If questioned on arrival he can just say he has just returned from holiday. Its very unlikely that they will interrogate him, unless they have some info that his marriage has ceased
First off, what kind of "visa" does he have. If he has already been granted ILR then there is jack didly squat she can do about it and he has every right to return to the country.

If however he hasn't yet been granted ILR then though she can't cancel his visa herself, she could inform the UKBA that their marriage no longer subsists. In which case he may be put on a watch list at the airports/ports and if he attempts to come back in on his marriage visa then he would almost certainly be refused LTE.

Even if he is not on the watch list then there is still the slim possibility that an alert IO may well ask him the right questions which would detect that his marriage no longer subsists. Trust me there are some very suspicious, keen and sharp IOs.

Pakhtoon
- thin ice -

Post by Pakhtoon » Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:32 am

INSIDER wrote: Even if he is not on the watch list then there is still the slim possibility that an alert IO may well ask him the right questions which would detect that his marriage no longer subsists. Trust me there are some very suspicious, keen and sharp IOs.
this is what I was talking about.

batleykhan

Post by batleykhan » Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:52 am

Is there any way we can contact the British Embassady to confirm whether his visa is valid or not? I think the only way to solve this problem is to have it in writing infront of his face.
Talk about dropping a friend in it. If his wife hasnt dropped him into it, you certainly will do by this action of yours. Are you sure you are his friend and not his wife trying to find out exactly what his position is regarding this matter?.

Like already being stated here all his needs to do is check his passport and if he has got Indefinite leave to remain ( which he will have got if he has lived with his (ex) wife for 2 or more years, then he is safe to come back without any problem, even though his marriage has broken up.

If he has not got ILR, then you better start praying for him because he might as well say goodbye to UK unless a miracle occurs :roll:

WalkingContradiction
Newly Registered

Post by WalkingContradiction » Sun Feb 07, 2010 5:29 pm

inwarsaw wrote:Even if his wife hasn't contacted the UKBA and nothing has been done to his visa, he can still be in trouble if at the airport they start asking him questions since the reason he was given visa for, is not there anymore.
This is exactly what I was thinking. In his opinion, it’s worth giving it a ‘try’ to back to the UK anyway since he spent a fortune on the visa fees. But he is not listening when I say that if they catch him trying to com back to the UK when he knows fine well he’s not allowed, it could cause trouble if he ever tries to come back the UK on a different visa because technically he‘s committed a crime.
batleykhan wrote:How would they know that if nobody has told UKBA.?
His ex wife has written to the embassy, aparently they have cancelled his visa. We are trying to find out if she is telling the truth or not.
INSIDER wrote: First off, what kind of "visa" does he have.
It's not an indefinite, he was only here for over a year. It was a settlement.
batleykhan wrote:
Talk about dropping a friend in it. If his wife hasnt dropped him into it, you certainly will do by this action of yours.
Drop him into it? I don’t understand what you mean by this. I guess your meaning ‘snitching him in’. I don’t know, the way you described it sounded really negative, almost as if I’m trying to get him in trouble. Even if his wife didn’t cancel his visa, what good will it do him anyway? He can’t apply for an ILR after the 2 year period because they are not together anymore. It’s better for him to cancel the visa, and if he wants to come back - he can apply through a different type of visa. Trying to sneak in illegally will throw away his chances of that, he doesn’t understand this, and I’m desperately trying to fix the matter. I want him to be in the UK, he is a good guy and deserves a good life, he knows far more about British culture than most immigrants, more importantly he respects it! If only all our new residents were like this.

batleykhan wrote: Are you sure you are his friend and not his wife trying to find out exactly what his position is regarding this matter?.
No. I’m 17 years old, hence, my username is the title of a ‘greenday’(rock band) song, I clearly have no idea about immigration laws, hence I’m on a forum trying to dish out info. If I was his wife I would at least know about how the visa system works, more importantly I would obviously have some sort of letter which I could photocopy on to him to prove that his visa is cancelled. We wouldn’t even be in this situation. Also why would I admit on the first post (If i was his wife), that I cancelled his visa without giving him his personal possesions. He is trying to travel half way across the world to retrieve them, they are obviously very important. The fact that he's having to do this, shows that his wife isn't sending them back to him obviously just trying to be a total cow. Infact, that is what she is. If I was his wife, I would be too embarassed to admit that You may think I’m not a good friend, but all I’m trying to do is to show him that it’s a bad idea to take the matter into his own hands, and it’s better to do everything legitimately instead of trying to steak his way in and mess up his chances! If they think he wasn't here for legitmate reasons this time, what will they think next time? If I wasn’t a true friend, I wouldwould probably let him get on with it, not caring about the outcome. Honestly.

ElenaW
Diamond Member

Post by ElenaW » Sun Feb 07, 2010 5:54 pm

hehehehe WalkingContradiction, I used to have a green day username "boulevard of broken dreams" hehehehehe.
I tell it like it is.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Sun Feb 07, 2010 5:56 pm

ElenaW wrote:hehehehe WalkingContradiction, I used to have a green day username "boulevard of broken dreams" hehehehehe.
Girls at school used to call me WalkingContraception....:(
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

SBT_Owner
Member of Standing

Post by SBT_Owner » Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:03 pm

Trying to sneak in illegally will throw away his chances of that, he doesn’t understand this
he is a good guy and deserves a good life, he knows far more about British culture than most immigrants, more importantly he respects it! If only all our new residents were like this.
"Good guys" That respect the Uk and its laws do not try to "sneak in illegally" ..... That is a contradiction for you .
Please respect the sites admin and mod team . They donate time to this site for free . Let us thank them !
Tottenham Hotspur have made it into the Champions League . Great Times :0)

ElenaW
Diamond Member

Post by ElenaW » Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:13 pm

Wanderer wrote:
ElenaW wrote:hehehehe WalkingContradiction, I used to have a green day username "boulevard of broken dreams" hehehehehe.
Lol!!!!
I tell it like it is.

Pakhtoon
- thin ice -

Post by Pakhtoon » Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:52 pm

Wanderer wrote:
and why was that ?

batleykhan

Post by batleykhan » Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:14 pm

No. I’m 17 years old,
I give you credit for writting such a a good respond for a 17 yrs old kid. 8)