ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Switching to Tier 1 Visa directly after being issued Tier 5

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

GeneNZ

Switching to Tier 1 Visa directly after being issued Tier 5

Post by GeneNZ » Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:46 am

Hi there,

Having just recently found out about the possible MAC changes to the Tier 1 visa in the UK, I'm am trying to find out my options if the recommendations are accepted into law.

Currently, I have applied and have been granted a Tier 5 YMS Visa into the UK (I am a New Zealand citizen) and this visa has been post-dated to April 20th 2010. I will be remaining in New Zealand until this date and am able to extend my stay in New Zealand if need be. Having just heard about the potential changes to the Tier 1 visa, under the new format I will be eligible for the Tier 1 visa provided the salary multipliers do not change.

If the recommendations to the Tier 1 visa are made, and I am eligible, can I reapply for the Tier 1, thereby replacing the Tier 5 visa I currently have? I would be applying for the Tier 1 visa while I am still in New Zealand, and will have not entered the UK on the Tier 5 visa at any point.

I understand that I will no longer be eligible for the Tier 5 visa in future, but I am okay with this if I am able to the get the Tier 1 visa. I also understand that nothing can be confirmed until they actually make an announcement over the MAC recommendations, but I'm just looking for a best guess estimate.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Gene

Edit: Apologies for posting this topic in two sections of the forum, I wasn't entirely sure which section to post it in.

crowbar6
Member of Standing

Re: Switching to Tier 1 Visa directly after being issued Tie

Post by crowbar6 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:02 am

GeneNZ wrote:Hi there,

Having just recently found out about the possible MAC changes to the Tier 1 visa in the UK, I'm am trying to find out my options if the recommendations are accepted into law.

Currently, I have applied and have been granted a Tier 5 YMS Visa into the UK (I am a New Zealand citizen) and this visa has been post-dated to April 20th 2010. I will be remaining in New Zealand until this date and am able to extend my stay in New Zealand if need be. Having just heard about the potential changes to the Tier 1 visa, under the new format I will be eligible for the Tier 1 visa provided the salary multipliers do not change.

If the recommendations to the Tier 1 visa are made, and I am eligible, can I reapply for the Tier 1, thereby replacing the Tier 5 visa I currently have? I would be applying for the Tier 1 visa while I am still in New Zealand, and will have not entered the UK on the Tier 5 visa at any point.

I understand that I will no longer be eligible for the Tier 5 visa in future, but I am okay with this if I am able to the get the Tier 1 visa. I also understand that nothing can be confirmed until they actually make an announcement over the MAC recommendations, but I'm just looking for a best guess estimate.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Gene

Edit: Apologies for posting this topic in two sections of the forum, I wasn't entirely sure which section to post it in.
Yes, it'll be fine. You can apply for Tier 1, if eligible, and it will replace your Tier 5 if accepted.
Regards,
crowbar6

tvn_ramesh
Diamond Member

Post by tvn_ramesh » Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:13 am

You can apply for Tier1(G) as soon as you are eligible and if your Tier1(G) visa is approved it will overright the Tier5 visa and if Tier1 is rejected you will still have ther Tier5visa using which you can enter UK..

mahajanvivek

Post by mahajanvivek » Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:19 am

Yes you can apply for the TIER 1 as soon you are eligible and once that is approved your TIER 1 will over ride the TIER 5. I am also from New zealand and had a friend in the similar situation who also applied for TIER 1 and his TIER 5 was overriden by TIER 1.

GeneNZ

Post by GeneNZ » Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:35 am

mahajanvivek wrote:Yes you can apply for the TIER 1 as soon you are eligible and once that is approved your TIER 1 will over ride the TIER 5. I am also from New zealand and had a friend in the similar situation who also applied for TIER 1 and his TIER 5 was overriden by TIER 1.
Thanks for the responses! That's reassuring :)