ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Citizenship Revoked &Stateless post Naturalisation-query

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

topper_harl
Newly Registered

Citizenship Revoked &Stateless post Naturalisation-query

Post by topper_harl » Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:30 am

I have read that HO can revoke anyones Citizenship. So before taking the plunge into Naturalisation, I would like to know

1) if the person is orginally from India, and the UK HO after naturalisation revokes or removes his Naturalisation after a few months/years for whatever reasons. Will the person be STATELESS? As being an Indian Citizen, he/she would have had to renounce his Indian Citizenship while taking the British Citizenship, and will only be an OCI (overseas citizen of India), which is not same as INdian citizenship.
So will the person be STATELESS?

2) But the HO also says that in that case if the person is made stateless, they wont revoke the citizenship. Is that right? Read below
We may also take away your British citizenship if, in our opinion, it would be in the public interest for us to do so and you would not be made stateless as a result of us removing British citizenship.

3) Or the person will be given his Indian citizenship back along with UK ILR (as the person held UK ILR before citizenship)? if he/she becomes stateless?

4) If the person becomes stateless what about the husband/wife and children who have aquired citizenship with him/her? THey will still hold citizenship?

Just making sure that the person after losing his INdian citizenship and taking British citizenship, has somewhere to go if British Citizenship is revoked for reasons unknown in the future.

Please help with the above query.

Thanks.[/i]

vinny

Post by vinny » Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:43 am

This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Sun Feb 14, 2010 3:52 am

Removal of citizenship obtained fraudulently (Deprivation) wrote:We may also take away your British citizenship if, in our opinion, it would be in the public interest for us to do so and you would not be made stateless as a result of us removing British citizenship.

Any rights you may have to live in the United Kingdom may also be lost. In serious cases, you may be removed from the United Kingdom.
regards

Ben
Diamond Member

Post by Ben » Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:22 pm

topper_harl, do you have any reason to suspect that the government might see it to be in the public interest to revoke this person's British citizenship?
I am no longer posting publicly on this website - PM me if needed.

republique
BANNED

Re: Citizenship Revoked &Stateless post Naturalisation-q

Post by republique » Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:46 pm

topper_harl wrote:I have read that HO can revoke anyones Citizenship. So before taking the plunge into Naturalisation, I would like to know

1) if the person is orginally from India, and the UK HO after naturalisation revokes or removes his Naturalisation after a few months/years for whatever reasons. Will the person be STATELESS? As being an Indian Citizen, he/she would have had to renounce his Indian Citizenship while taking the British Citizenship, and will only be an OCI (overseas citizen of India), which is not same as INdian citizenship.
So will the person be STATELESS?

2) But the HO also says that in that case if the person is made stateless, they wont revoke the citizenship. Is that right? Read below
We may also take away your British citizenship if, in our opinion, it would be in the public interest for us to do so and you would not be made stateless as a result of us removing British citizenship.

3) Or the person will be given his Indian citizenship back along with UK ILR (as the person held UK ILR before citizenship)? if he/she becomes stateless?

4) If the person becomes stateless what about the husband/wife and children who have aquired citizenship with him/her? THey will still hold citizenship?

Just making sure that the person after losing his INdian citizenship and taking British citizenship, has somewhere to go if British Citizenship is revoked for reasons unknown in the future.

Please help with the above query.

Thanks.[/i]
I don't know why people ask this type of question unless they are doing something dodgy.
Are you doing something dodgy??
This happened to a friend of mine and he was told to go get his Indian citizenship back which you can do when you renounce it because you assumed a different citizenship. If you lose it, then you can get the Indian one back after great embarrassment. So if you are you doing something that can jeopardize losing your citizenship, then don't get it and become a PR. I have no sympathy for those trying to play the system at both ends.

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Sun Feb 14, 2010 3:04 pm

Another Indian with similar doubts!

regards

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:19 am

topper_harl wrote:if the person is orginally from India, and the UK HO after naturalisation revokes or removes his Naturalisation after a few months/years for whatever reasons. Will the person be STATELESS?
No!

Here's why I think so:
Removal of citizenship obtained fraudulently (Deprivation) wrote:We may also take away your British citizenship if, in our opinion, it would be in the public interest for us to do so and you would not be made stateless as a result of us removing British citizenship.
Nationality Instructions > Volume 1 > Chapter 14 > Annex H wrote:7.5 For the purposes of British nationality law, OCI is considered to be citizenship of another State. This will be relevant where British law requires the person to be stateless (as, for example, in Schedule 2 to the British Nationality Act 1981) or to have no citizenship or nationality apart from a qualifying form of British nationality (as, for example, in s.4B to the 1981 Act).
In light of above and as I interpret it, from UK's standpoint a British Citizen who also holds Oversees Citizenship of India (OCI) can be deprived of his British Citizenship because that would not render the individual stateless. If and how such a person (dperived of BC) can re-acquire Indian citizenship again is, understandably, not a UK government's problem.

regards

topper_harl
Newly Registered

Post by topper_harl » Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:52 pm

Thanks. Makes sense now. Its for my friend who wants to know all sides before taking the British Naturalisation.