ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

English Requirement ?

Only for UK Student Visas, formerly known as Tier 4 (General) student visa

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Sinner

English Requirement ?

Post by Sinner » Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:56 pm

"Successful applicants from outside the EU will have to speak English to a level only just below GCSE standard, rather than beginner level as at present"

what does this mean exactly? does it mean students need to give a test after being given visa? or what?

joh118

Re: English Requirement ?

Post by joh118 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:29 pm

Sinner wrote:"Successful applicants from outside the EU will have to speak English to a level only just below GCSE standard, rather than beginner level as at present"

what does this mean exactly? does it mean students need to give a test after being given visa? or what?
Precise details have not yet been released.

There are some explaining to be done by the UKBA, for example, would english language students have to do the test?

But I think if you are coming to do anything other than a english course, so, for example, ACCA course, Management etc THEN you would have to do a test. What they mean by "GCSE standard" is GCSE English as a foreign Language. It's very basic. You could say it is the same/just below as the English level needed to get a TIER 2 visa.

If it was actual GCSE English Language standard, I doubt if native speakers could pass it!

it looks like once again that the Government has done this for PR purposes. Sure, it will reduce SOME "students" but if you can speak relatively ok English needed for everday life, then, it makes no difference.

And as with the working hours decrease from 20 hours to 10 hours (FOR BELOW DEGREE students) shows good intentions but who's gonna stop students from getting multiple jobs?

Although I do feel that they did a good job in not allowing dependents of below degree students from working.

Sinner

Post by Sinner » Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:12 pm

i will be comming for ACCA , i have done CAT before this.. and i am going to apply on 15th feb, do you think it will effect me? i think UKBA will give sometime. what do u think? and don't you think it is a ridiculous rule that after getting visa your english will be tested.

Pakhtoon
- thin ice -

Post by Pakhtoon » Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:34 pm

Why do you need to go to UK to do ACCA ? You can do the same in Pakistan I suppose. Not sure about the english language but this is the question the ECO will definitely ask :wink:
“Terrorism is the war of the poor; war is the terrorism of the rich.â€

Sinner

Post by Sinner » Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:41 pm

ACCA's got opportunities in UK .

Pakhtoon
- thin ice -

Post by Pakhtoon » Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:12 pm

So are you gonna tell the ECO that you are going to UK to study and then work ?? settle down or something ??

Sinner

Post by Sinner » Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:52 pm

my first aim is to study.. rest will depend:)

Pakhtoon
- thin ice -

Post by Pakhtoon » Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:48 pm

and study you can do in your home country as well, thats what I said earlier.

Sinner

Post by Sinner » Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:05 pm

i can but there is not much opportunity for ACCA's, after completing my ACCA in uk i can apply for work permit and get internship in a good firm. but in pakistan it is very hard to get internship in ANY firm.

Pakhtoon
- thin ice -

Post by Pakhtoon » Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:37 am

I would suggest you finish your qualification in Pakistan first and then come to UK for work/gaining experience.