ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Immigration Visa Services UK

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Dansette
Newly Registered

Immigration Visa Services UK

Post by Dansette » Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:49 pm

Hi All.

I have a fairly complex family immigration situation coming up.

I'm a UK national, born in the UK, with a UK passport. My wife is an American national. We were married in the UK.

She is still in the USA as she is pregnant and I hope she can move over here after the child is born.

So I think I need to apply for visa for her, and a visa for the child, or just obtain a British passport for the child, after registering her as a UK citizen born abroad.

So here is my question:

When Googling around, I discovered The Immigration Visa Services company (http://www.ivs-uk.com/) . They say they will handle my issue for around £400.

I'm earning pretty good money here, so don't really grudge the money, if there assistance makes this easier.

But, I guess it's pretty easy to put up a website and start offering immigration services, so I was wondering if anyone on these forums has used this company and can tell me if they are genuine and any good?

I had two brief chats with them a few months ago, they seemed to know their stuff, but I couldn't get too much information out of them as (probably quite understandably) they were reluctant to talk too much before I paid my £400.

Any help / advice / ideas gratefully received.

cheers

ElenaW
Diamond Member

Post by ElenaW » Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:24 pm

The spousal visa is extremely easy and straight forward especially for an American citizen. Why not complete the form on your own and pay an extra $150 for an expeditor in the US that will get the visa for you in about 24-48 hours. Save your £400, even if you're making good money, it just makes no sense when all of the questions are about you and your spouse anyways. What is the person going to do keep calling you and ask for answers? They won't know when and where you met and much about your past history.
I tell it like it is.

mochyn
Diamond Member

Post by mochyn » Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:26 pm

Can you supply further information such as your ages , how long you have been married?
Can you explain why your situation is complicated?

Dansette
Newly Registered

Post by Dansette » Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:38 pm

ElenaW wrote:The spousal visa is extremely easy and straight forward especially for an American citizen. Why not complete the form on your own and pay an extra $150 for an expeditor in the US that will get the visa for you in about 24-48 hours. Save your £400, even if you're making good money, it just makes no sense when all of the questions are about you and your spouse anyways. What is the person going to do keep calling you and ask for answers? They won't know when and where you met and much about your past history.
Hi

I guess the complication is the unborn child.

My understanding is a child of any age needs a passport. So, when she's born, so I apply for UK citizenship for her, then a passport? How long would that take?

cheers

Dansette
Newly Registered

Post by Dansette » Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:40 pm

mochyn wrote:Can you supply further information such as your ages , how long you have been married?
Can you explain why your situation is complicated?
Hi

I'm 43 and she's 38. We were married in April of '09.

I guess the complication is the unborn child.

My understanding is a child of any age needs a passport. So, when she's born, so I apply for UK citizenship for her, then a passport? How long would that take?

cheers

Spark
- thin ice -

Re: Immigration Visa Services UK

Post by Spark » Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:05 pm

Dansette wrote:
I had two brief chats with them a few months ago, they seemed to know their stuff, but I couldn't get too much information out of them as (probably quite understandably) they were reluctant to talk too much before I paid my £400.
That's plus visa fees I assume since an FLR from North America when I looked costs around 625 quid.
We make holes in the teeth
We make holes in the teeth.

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:37 pm

No you don't, there is nothing complex about your situation at all.

How pregnant is your wife? When is it hoped she will get to the UK? ElenaW has given you good advice ..... go for it!

The child need a passport? Not a requirement unless doing international travel.
John

Dansette
Newly Registered

Post by Dansette » Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:45 pm

John wrote:
No you don't, there is nothing complex about your situation at all.

How pregnant is your wife? When is it hoped she will get to the UK? ElenaW has given you good advice ..... go for it!

The child need a passport? Not a requirement unless doing international travel.
The child is going to be born in the USA, so she will need to do international travel to get to the UK.

cheers

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:50 pm

OK, but it will not be a question of applying for British Citizenship for the child. The child will be British as soon as born.

It will just be a question of applying for a British passport for the child, at a British Mission in the US.
John

Spark
- thin ice -

Post by Spark » Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:00 pm

I think these guys are right, as far as I can see it seems like a fairly straightforward, if not slightly costly, situation. You certainly don't need any immigration consultancy or lawyers to be involved.

Your wife is from one of the most trusted countries in the UK's book and your child would inherit citizenship from you, there isn't really any problem.
We make holes in the teeth
We make holes in the teeth.

Dansette
Newly Registered

Post by Dansette » Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:01 pm

John wrote:OK, but it will not be a question of applying for British Citizenship for the child. The child will be British as soon as born.

It will just be a question of applying for a British passport for the child, at a British Mission in the US.
OK Thanks John

Sorry if this info is available elsewhere, but is there a link to the right areas of the government's website where it's explained how to get the passport abroad?

I had thought that it was necessary to register a child as a British citizen if she is born abroad. I thought one was only "British as born" if one is born in the UK?

cheers

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:20 pm

Depends on what is important to you as a couple but why not have the child born in the UK if it's not too late? As it stand the child will only be British by descent, not by birth so the child cannot pass on British Nationality if ur grandchild is also born outside UK. Summert to think about in these globetrotting days if ur grandchild is born in some impoverished country....
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

batleykhan

Post by batleykhan » Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:38 pm

Dansette
Newly Registered

Post by Dansette » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:33 pm

Wanderer wrote:Depends on what is important to you as a couple but why not have the child born in the UK if it's not too late? As it stand the child will only be British by descent, not by birth so the child cannot pass on British Nationality if ur grandchild is also born outside UK. Summert to think about in these globetrotting days if ur grandchild is born in some impoverished country....
Wish I could but too late now, she is due in March.

cheers