ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

medical card impact on naturalisation

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

sunny_westmeath
Newly Registered

medical card impact on naturalisation

Post by sunny_westmeath » Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:56 pm

hi folks,

I am gonna apply for naturalisation soon. I have medical card(G.P Vist Card only) for last two years. Will it impact my naturalisation application? I have not claimed any social welfare benefit yet..Can you please clarify?

cheers
sunny

sunny_westmeath
Newly Registered

Help me

Post by sunny_westmeath » Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:45 pm

Hi Guys,

can you please help me in the query related to naturalisation for G.P Visit card??? Will it impact my naturalisation application?
cheers
sunny

xo7
Newly Registered

Re: Help me

Post by xo7 » Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:34 am

sunny_westmeath wrote:Hi Guys,

can you please help me in the query related to naturalisation for G.P Visit card??? Will it impact my naturalisation application?
cheers
sunny
If you are an non EU spouse of an EU,I would suggest not to avail medical card,and plus any social benifit's.except if you are job less you can apply for "job seeker's allowence"good luck

Ben
Diamond Member

Post by Ben » Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:07 am

xo7 wrote:If you are an non EU spouse of an EU,I would suggest not to avail medical card,and plus any social benifit's.except if you are job less you can apply for "job seeker's allowence"good luck
Nonsense.

EU nationals and their family members who are lawfully resident in Ireland have the right to receive treatment equal with that of an Irish national. (Article 24, Directive 2004/38/EC).
I am no longer posting publicly on this website - PM me if needed.

jhbmike

Post by jhbmike » Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:59 am

benifa wrote:
xo7 wrote:If you are an non EU spouse of an EU,I would suggest not to avail medical card,and plus any social benifit's.except if you are job less you can apply for "job seeker's allowence"good luck
Nonsense.

EU nationals and their family members who are lawfully resident in Ireland have the right to receive treatment equal with that of an Irish national. (Article 24, Directive 2004/38/EC).
In theory what you say Benifa is true however in reality that is not really the case. The minister might look at it as a burden on state resources and refuse on grounds.

I hope im wrong cos it would be grossly unfair to deny on those on those grounds but they have refused for less.

walrusgumble
BANNED

Post by walrusgumble » Sun Feb 14, 2010 6:02 pm

unless its employment related social welfare such as sick (temporary) or maternity benefit and not unemployment benfit, try to stay the hell away from any social welfare/medical card whilst waiting on citizenship (ie domestic law which does not answer to eu law)

whilst this would not effect your current right of residency which is eu treaty rights related, it would be advisable if possible, to keep off any state benefits that the minister might consider a burden. talk to immigration council or other ngo's

sunny_westmeath
Newly Registered

hi

Post by sunny_westmeath » Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:04 pm

hi folks,

Thanks for your feedback.
I am non eu and wife is also non eu.I don't understand why G.P Visit card will impact naturalisation application.G.P Visit Card is issued by HSE.I asked in MRCI and immigrant council, and they are not sure about it. If i cancel G.P Visit card before applying naturalisation, then still is it an issue , eventhough i am in full time job for last 5 years without any social welfare availed.

cheers
sunny

walrusgumble
BANNED

Re: hi

Post by walrusgumble » Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:10 am

sunny_westmeath wrote:hi folks,

Thanks for your feedback.
I am non eu and wife is also non eu.I don't understand why G.P Visit card will impact naturalisation application.G.P Visit Card is issued by HSE.I asked in MRCI and immigrant council, and they are not sure about it. If i cancel G.P Visit card before applying naturalisation, then still is it an issue , eventhough i am in full time job for last 5 years without any social welfare availed.

cheers
sunny
a medical card is not a visiting card. sorry for being padentic. a medical card tends to cover most or all medical expenses. a medical card tends to only be given to eldery, those with serious illness, those with little or no income. I don't want to scare you, but there was a time in ireland where some local councillors won and lost votes on their ability to get the special card (yes gombeen parish pump politics at its best) Most families of a certain moderate - high earnings (very low income ceiling in order to get one) are not eligible.

maybe it depends on how much it is used, but sadly, it might, though depending on the case, be considered a "burden" to the state. sorry if those words are inappropriate. they are not intended to be hurtful.

it does not matter where the card is from. sure social welfare comes from the department of social welfare and not from justice. one of the reasons it takes so long for a decision is because the minister needs to check records of the applicant from various departments such as garda, revenue, social welfare.

think very carefully about giving up the medical card. if you need it you should not revoke it because you may not get it back particuarily with these times.

minister expects that the applicant is "self suficient" and is fully covered for at least 3 years before application. considering the minister refuses on the basis of receipt of say rent allowance i would be concerned. a medical card tends to be seen as being in receipt of some form of state assistance.talk to other ngo's and immigration experts before doing anything.

out of interest how did you get it (naturally i am not asking you to disclose such senstive information here in front of everyone)

sunny_westmeath
Newly Registered

hi

Post by sunny_westmeath » Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:14 am

hi,

Thanks for your reply. There are two cards from HSE:-

1.http://www.hse.ie/eng/services/Find_a_S ... cal_Cards/ ( Medical card , which is given to low income person) .. I don't have this card.

2.http://www.hse.ie/eng/services/Find_a_S ... sit_Cards/ ( This entitles you to have free G.PVisit card) . I have this card..

Criteria to obtain this card for this from hse web site:-
When we make an assessment for a GP Visit Card, we only assess your income after Tax and PRSI are deducted. We also make allowance for rent and mortgage payments, for childcare expenses, and travel to work expenses.

I know if you have medical card( no:-1), then it is hard to get naturalisation, but was not sure about G.P Visit Card..

cheers
sunny

walrusgumble
BANNED

Post by walrusgumble » Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:22 am

sunny_westmeath wrote:hi,

1.http://www.hse.ie/eng/services/Find_a_S ... cal_Cards/ ( Medical card , which is given to low income person) .. I don't have this card.

2.http://www.hse.ie/eng/services/Find_a_S ... sit_Cards/ ( This entitles you to have free G.PVisit card) . I have this card..

When we make an assessment for a GP Visit Card, we only assess your income after Tax and PRSI are deducted. We also make allowance for rent and mortgage payments, for childcare expenses, and travel to work expenses.

I know if you have medical card( no:-1), then it is hard to get naturalisation, but was not sure about G.P Visit Card..

cheers
sunny
ah, I am mistaken then. The OP has a "visting card". Right. I did not know that there were two different cards. Still you should clarify with the department first. DO NOT WITHDRAW from the card, even if citizenship is against it, as you may actaully be in need.

Email or write a letter to the department to request their position in relation to the cards. (make sure you don't use your real name for this enquiry)

jhbmike

Post by jhbmike » Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:29 am

cheers
sunny
Sunny I think you are waiting for us to tell you what you want to hear.
Wether you have a card that is for free gp visits or a card that covers the aforementioned as well as medicines I think makes very little difference.
When it comes for a decision I cant imagine the review panel saying- "ah give it to that fella cos he was only a small burden, oh but dont give it to that fell cos not only did he get free gp visits but also we had to pay for his medicine.
My advice is hold onto the card. All you can do is hope for the best.
Good luck.

csr

Post by csr » Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:58 am

if you are lucky then there will be no problem whether you have GP card or MEDICAL CARD.
Your luck plays here, I know a friend who's naturalisation rejected based on having Medical/GP cards and at the same time I know other friend got naturatlisation even though they had Medical/GP card.
So, fingers crossed, it is up to you what to do?

cheers
sunny

walrusgumble
BANNED

Post by walrusgumble » Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:44 pm

csr wrote:if you are lucky then there will be no problem whether you have GP card or MEDICAL CARD.
Your luck plays here, I know a friend who's naturalisation rejected based on having Medical/GP cards and at the same time I know other friend got naturatlisation even though they had Medical/GP card.
So, fingers crossed, it is up to you what to do?

cheers
sunny
They are the kind of stats NGO's like Immigration Council need. That is potentially completely arbritary and unfair and inconsistent. That information should be passed onto NGO's.

sunny_westmeath
Newly Registered

hi

Post by sunny_westmeath » Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:48 pm

hi folks,

Thanks for your feedback. It seems G.P Visit Card will affect naturalization. I will surely cancel this card, as I am gonna apply in June for naturalization. I have not applied yet, as I will finish 5 years in June. One more question:-

If i cancel my card before applying, then still is it an issue for naturalization application .I guess it may be refused on the basis of grounds that I had G.P Visit card in last 5 years.

cheers
sunny

csr

Post by csr » Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:55 pm

as I said, it depends on pure luck, some times I wonder how funny this Irish system works!!!
I know a genuie IT guy personally, working and paying taxes etc. in the country for about 7 years and his naturalization is rejected, reason not mentioned.

I know another guy works as a operator on 22k who has medical card no proper qualification as well and last his job 1 year ago but cleverly he did not claim any social welfare, last week he got naturalization. How funny? is in't it.

so, it's all luck man, luck !!!!
do the as best as you can and leave it to GOD.

Thanks for your feedback. It seems G.P Visit Card will affect naturalization. I will surely cancel this card, as I am gonna apply in June for naturalization. I have not applied yet, as I will finish 5 years in June. One more question:-

If i cancel my card before applying, then still is it an issue for naturalization application .I guess it may be refused on the basis of grounds that I had G.P Visit card in last 5 years.

cheers
sunny

xo7
Newly Registered

Post by xo7 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:31 pm

[quote="benifa"][quote="xo7"]If you are an non EU spouse of an EU,I would suggest not to avail medical card,and plus any social benifit's.except if you are job less you can apply for "job seeker's allowence"good luck[/quote]

Nonsense.

EU nationals and their family members who are lawfully resident in Ireland have the right to receive treatment equal with that of an Irish national. (Article 24, Directive 2004/38/EC).[/quote]

I DONT SPEAK NONSENCE HERE! SOME ONE ASK AN I REPLY IN GOOD FAITH!NOT THAT I EVER ASK OF YOUR SO CALLED "MEMBER OF STANDING"THEY ONLY REPLY WHEN THEY FOUND SOME ONE WITH GIRL NAME,VERY HELP FULL?[b][color=darkblue][/color][size=18][/size][/b]

Pakhtoon
- thin ice -

Post by Pakhtoon » Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:52 pm

xo7 wrote:
benifa wrote:
Nonsense.

I DONT SPEAK NONSENCE HERE! SOME ONE ASK AN I REPLY IN GOOD FAITH!NOT THAT I EVER ASK OF YOUR SO CALLED "MEMBER OF STANDING"THEY ONLY REPLY WHEN THEY FOUND SOME ONE WITH GIRL NAME,VERY HELP FULL?
Hehe relax...Benifa is a good man :)
“Terrorism is the war of the poor; war is the terrorism of the rich.â€

aswadref

Post by aswadref » Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:17 am

me and my spouse had a full medical card got my long term recidency approved around three months back as per i know the checks done for both if them are the same

walrusgumble
BANNED

Post by walrusgumble » Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:47 am

cheers
sunny
last 3 years prior to application seems to be what the minister looks at

jhbmike

Post by jhbmike » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:18 pm

aswadref wrote:me and my spouse had a full medical card got my long term recidency approved around three months back as per i know the checks done for both if them are the same
long term residence is not given at the ministers discretion whereas citizenship is.

agniukas

Post by agniukas » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:23 pm

Long term residency do not check social welfare applications of the applicants.