ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Wife is Canadian born German citizen - I am US citizen

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

yousrname
Newly Registered

Wife is Canadian born German citizen - I am US citizen

Post by yousrname » Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:18 pm

Hello.. I have a slightly more complicated situation that the norm. I am from the United States and my wife is Canadian, but she has dual German (German passport and the whole 9). We were thinking about moving to the EU (outside Germany) relatively soon and were wondering how to approach that from a legal standpoint? Is that something that is relatively easy? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Re: Wife is Canadian born German citizen - I am US citizen

Post by Wanderer » Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:30 pm

yousrname wrote:Hello.. I have a slightly more complicated situation that the norm. I am from the United States and my wife is Canadian, but she has dual German (German passport and the whole 9). We were thinking about moving to the EU (outside Germany) relatively soon and were wondering how to approach that from a legal standpoint? Is that something that is relatively easy? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
U sure? Germany does not allow dual citizenship, except in few cases (ie other EU citizenship)
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

Pakhtoon
- thin ice -

Post by Pakhtoon » Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:56 pm

this is probably an advertisement attempt looking at his signature.
“Terrorism is the war of the poor; war is the terrorism of the rich.â€

yousrname
Newly Registered

Post by yousrname » Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:06 am

A. Just because there is a link in my signature, doesn't mean this is an "advertising attempt"

B. Germany allows dual citizenship in special circumstances and this qualifies

86ti
Diamond Member

Re: Wife is Canadian born German citizen - I am US citizen

Post by 86ti » Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:03 am

yousrname wrote:Hello.. I have a slightly more complicated situation that the norm. I am from the United States and my wife is Canadian, but she has dual German (German passport and the whole 9). We were thinking about moving to the EU (outside Germany) relatively soon and were wondering how to approach that from a legal standpoint? Is that something that is relatively easy? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Look into Directive 2004/38/EC for the basics and then into the implementation of a particular country. Some member states make it more difficult than it ought to be. There is nothing more complicated in your situation than in some other scenario/situation that you may have in mind. All that counts here is that your wife is a German citizen.