ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Switching from Work Permit to T1 (General) Dependant Visa

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

vudavi
Newly Registered

Switching from Work Permit to T1 (General) Dependant Visa

Post by vudavi » Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:04 am

Hi All,
I'm hoping you can provide some information.

I'm currently on the sponsored work permit and my fiance is on a Tier 1 (General Visa).

I now wish to switch over as her dependant.
Question 1: Do I have to leave the country? I rang the home office and they said I had to leave? Thats strange, as I thought I didnt and could apply in person at a public enquiries office to get it same day?

Question 2: Does anybody have a checklist of Documents that I will need to bring along? I currently have:
1) Dependant visa form completed
2) 2 photos
3) Bank statement showing available funds
4) Utility Bills, mortgage agreement, joint bank statements and insurance agreements to prove "subsistence" relationship for the last 2 years.
Have I missed something?

An urgent response would be greatly appreciated as I have the appointment with the PEO next weds 24th Feb.

Much appreciated.
Dave

tvn_ramesh
Diamond Member

Re: Switching from Work Permit to T1 (General) Dependant Vis

Post by tvn_ramesh » Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:08 am

vudavi wrote:Hi All,
I'm hoping you can provide some information.

I'm currently on the sponsored work permit and my fiance is on a Tier 1 (General Visa).

Question 1: Do I have to leave the country? I rang the home office and they said I had to leave? Thats strange, as I thought I didnt and could apply in person at a public enquiries office to get it same day?

- Yes you need to apply for ur home country to go through the Entry Clearance process

Question 2: Does anybody have a checklist of Documents that I will need to bring along? I currently have:
1) Dependant visa form completed
2) 2 photos
3) Bank statement showing available funds
4) Utility Bills, mortgage agreement, joint bank statements and insurance agreements to prove "subsistence" relationship for the last 2 years.
Have I missed something?
5. Marriage certificate
6. Just have the 6months payslips/bankstatements not mandatory though

An urgent response would be greatly appreciated as I have the appointment with the PEO next weds 24th Feb.

Much appreciated.
Dave

narulade

Post by narulade » Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:09 am

Hi

Ans 1 :-- Yes you have to leave the country and go to home country and stamp it from there..

Ans 2:- Pay slilps of main HSMP folder ..
your marriager Certificate

i think thats it

Regards

vudavi
Newly Registered

Post by vudavi » Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:14 am

1) Since when did they change that as I thought as a work permit holder, I didnt need to. My friend was able to switch from WP to Tier 1 last Feb without needing to leave the country? Does anyone know where on the website it's written?

2) We're not married yet so wont have that certificate.

aruni4470
Diamond Member

Post by aruni4470 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:15 am

are you asking about a fiancée visa?

aruni4470
Diamond Member

Post by aruni4470 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:17 am

1) Since when did they change that as I thought as a work permit holder, I didnt need to. My friend was able to switch from WP to Tier 1 last Feb without needing to leave the country? Does anyone know where on the website it's written?
If you are already inside the UK
If you are currently in the UK with temporary permission to stay in a different immigration category (for example, as a student), you cannot switch into this category.
If you are already here in this category and you have got married or registered a civil partnership, you can switch into the category of husband, wife or civil partner.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/partn ... lpartners/

vudavi
Newly Registered

Post by vudavi » Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:21 am

Sorry, wasnt clear.

I'm already in the UK, been working in London for the last 3 years or so. My WP visa expires in 2012.

I wish to switch to be her Tier 1 (General) Dependant.

So do I still need to leave?

Really concerned now...

tvn_ramesh
Diamond Member

Post by tvn_ramesh » Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:41 am

vudavi wrote:My friend was able to switch from WP to Tier 1 last Feb without needing to leave the country?
You dont need to leave the country if you switch from WP to Tier1 as a Main applicant..

But your question is

aruni4470
Diamond Member

Post by aruni4470 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:51 am

So do I still need to leave?
Sorry but you need to.

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:59 am

You cannot switch to dependent category. You wii have to apply for EC from home country as a dependent of a Tier 1 (General) migrant.

regards
Last edited by geriatrix on Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vudavi
Newly Registered

Post by vudavi » Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:59 am

If that's the case, so i haveto fly back to Australia, send my application via post, wait for their response and then fly back to the UK to get the visa stamped?

Is that written down somewhere on their website. Have other people in the forum had to do it?

What happens if we go down the spousal visa route? Do I still need to leave? My fiance has an Australian passport.

aruni4470
Diamond Member

Post by aruni4470 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:17 pm

You have to apply for entry clearance from BHC in your home country. You cannot send application to UK. http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/en/howtoapply/

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:23 pm

vudavi wrote:If that's the case, so i haveto fly back to Australia, send my application via post, wait for their response and then fly back to the UK to get the visa stamped?
You apply at the BHC / visa application centre in Australia (nearest to your residence). You will get your visa in Australia itself. See How do I apply?
Since you two are not married, you'll have to provide evidence of relationship akin to marriage that has existed since last 2 years (at least) in order to apply for EC as a dependent of the other.
vudavi wrote:Is that written down somewhere on their website. Have other people in the forum had to do it?
Anyone wishing to change from main applicant (in any Tier 1 / Tier 2 category) to a dependent has to do it. For Tier 1 (general), see Switching into dependent route. (read carefully).
vudavi wrote:What happens if we go down the spousal visa route? Do I still need to leave? My fiance has an Australian passport.
Spouse visa is only for partners of settled persons or British citizens. Having an Australian passport doesn't offer any privileges when your unmarried partner / spouse has entered UK as a Tier 1 (General) migrant.

regards