ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Non-EEA spouse rights in Finland (and other Nordic countries

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

swedeinus
Newly Registered

Non-EEA spouse rights in Finland (and other Nordic countries

Post by swedeinus » Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:50 pm

I'm Swedish and currently living in Sweden. My husband is American and is still in the US. While I like being back home I'm not sure Sweden will suit our needs and we're looking at possibly settling on the island of Aland (Finland). My husband has only a beginner's knowledge of Swedish and would benefit from doing an internship of some kind before finding a real job. This sort of thing exists here in Sweden for immigrants, and I believe it does in Finland as well.
Because we're not sure how soon my husband would find work, we might be in need of financial assistance to start out. I know from searching online that as a Swede I am entitled to use the Finnish social welfare system if needed, but I have not found any information pertaining to non-EEA nationals residing in Finland. Would I have to prove that I'm able to support my husband? I've been a stay-at-home mom for 8 years and this fall I'm hoping to go back to school so we're relying on my husband to work.
If you have information about the rest of the Nordic countries (except Sweden of course), please let me know about that also.

Pakhtoon
- thin ice -

Post by Pakhtoon » Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:56 pm

I guess yes. You will have to prove that you can support your husband. Afterall, you are going to be the sponsor. This is strictly my opinion.
“Terrorism is the war of the poor; war is the terrorism of the rich.â€

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:32 pm

swedeinus, under the terms of the EU Directive you have the right to exercise Treaty Rights in any other EU country, indeed EEA country. And if indeed you are doing that then your non-EEA family member ... your husband .... also has the ability to exercise such Treaty Rights.

So you, Swedish, certainly have the ability to move to Finland. But your Treaty Rights? Employed? Self-employed? A student? Or as a Self-sufficient person, which could be the way to go if your husband is supporting you.

swedeinus, with the quality of your English, have you considered moving to the UK?
John

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:48 pm

John wrote:swedeinus, with the quality of your English, have you considered moving to the UK?
Think I'd prefer Sweden over UK anyday, tak sa mycket......
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

Pakhtoon
- thin ice -

Post by Pakhtoon » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:56 pm

John wrote: swedeinus, with the quality of your English, have you considered moving to the UK?
As far as I have noticed, everyone in Sweden speaks perfect English, even the small kids ( all of them with the annoying American accent though ).
“Terrorism is the war of the poor; war is the terrorism of the rich.â€

Hawklord
Newly Registered

Re: Non-EEA spouse rights in Finland (and other Nordic count

Post by Hawklord » Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:38 pm

swedeinus wrote:I'm Swedish and currently living in Sweden. My husband is American and is still in the US. While I like being back home I'm not sure Sweden will suit our needs and we're looking at possibly settling on the island of Aland (Finland). My husband has only a beginner's knowledge of Swedish and would benefit from doing an internship of some kind before finding a real job. This sort of thing exists here in Sweden for immigrants, and I believe it does in Finland as well.
Because we're not sure how soon my husband would find work, we might be in need of financial assistance to start out. I know from searching online that as a Swede I am entitled to use the Finnish social welfare system if needed, but I have not found any information pertaining to non-EEA nationals residing in Finland. Would I have to prove that I'm able to support my husband? I've been a stay-at-home mom for 8 years and this fall I'm hoping to go back to school so we're relying on my husband to work.
If you have information about the rest of the Nordic countries (except Sweden of course), please let me know about that also.
I am another Swede living in Finland. As you have seen, citizens of the Nordic countries, unlike other foreigners, can stay in Finland even if they have to live on welfare. You do not have to prove that you can support your husband either.
Furthermore, your husband can get a Finnish residence card right away, since you are an EU citizen, but not Finnish.