ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Apply Citizenship Please answer my question

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

nao

Apply Citizenship Please answer my question

Post by nao » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:51 am

I am currently on ILR (Granted on SEPT 2003)
I am now thinking to get British citizenship.
I would like to know the procedure based on the above

Please kidnly advise me on the below Q's
1: Do I need to pass the test(Life of england)?
2: How long will it take to finish the process (Generally says 4-6months or something)? Is there any speedy procedure?
3: My pass port will not be my hand during the process?(what about if I wanted to go to abroad or bus trip ?
4: The cost of procedure.(If there is any speedy one, also please tell me the cost)
5: If any tips

Thanks

N
Last edited by nao on Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Re: Apply Citizenship Please answer my question

Post by geriatrix » Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:41 pm

nao wrote:I am currently on ILR (Granted on SEPT 2003)
I am now thinking to get British citizenship.
I would like to know the procedure based on the above

Please kidnly advise me on the below Q's
1: Do I need to pass the test(Life of england)?
2: How long will it take to finish the process (Generally says 4-6months or something)? Is there any speedy procedure?
3: My pass port will not be my hand during the process?(what about if I wanted to go to abroad or bus trip ?
4: The cost of procedure.(If there is any speedy one, also please tell me the cost)
5: If any tips
1. Yes.
2. See timelines here.
3. Not advisable to travel during this process (IMHO).
4. See Ways to apply and Cost of applying
nao wrote:In addition: I have a job offer in France ans I might want to take it.
If I take this job (Under ILR) what will it happen to my ILR visa ?
Can i take the job in France witout losing the ILR visa.
My point is that I might want to come back to the UK again (say witihin a year or 2yeatrs , even short visit or something)
See response to your queries.

regards
Last edited by geriatrix on Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ben
Diamond Member

Post by Ben » Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:24 pm

nao wrote:what about if I wanted to go to abroad or bus trip ?
I would strongly advise against boarding a bus if not in possession of a valid passport.
I am no longer posting publicly on this website - PM me if needed.

Sten

Post by Sten » Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:51 pm

Ben wrote:
nao wrote:what about if I wanted to go to abroad or bus trip ?
I would strongly advise against boarding a bus if not in possession of a valid passport.
True. In Wales before boarding a bus I would also advise to have the Life Of Wales certificate ready ..
Good luck !

JulesN19

Post by JulesN19 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:04 pm

nao wrote: 3: My pass port will not be my hand during the process?(what about if I wanted to go to abroad or bus trip ?
3. If you apply using the Nationality Checking Service, then you will bring your application (and any supporting documents) to a local authority's registry office. That local authority will take certified copies of the relevant pages of your passport and send those copies to the Home Office with your application form. You are free to travel whilst your application is pending, but you should not travel within five days of the submission of your application to ensure that you are physically present in the UK at the moment that the Home Office receives your application.

4. The current application fee charged by the Home Office is £720. If you apply using the Nationality Checking Service, then you will have to pay an extra fee to the local authority. I think that local authorities may charge different fees depending on when you submit it; Islington Council charged me £45 for a Friday afternoon appointment.

Please note that submitting your application via the Nationality Checking Service is not a means of expediting your application. Rather, it is merely a means of retaining possession of your passport whilst your application is pending. It also comes with the added benefit of having your application checked by an employee of the local authority to make sure that there are not any obvious errors. You can learn more about the Nationality Checking Service by clicking here.

Christophe
Diamond Member

Post by Christophe » Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:32 pm

As above: if you apply via the NCS you will retain your passport and there is no reason why you shouldn't travel abroad while your application is being considered. Just make sure that you're in the country when the Home Office receives your application (and therefore allow a few days to a week between the time you lodge your application and the time you travel).

You do need to be contactable while the application is being considered, but ordinary holidays or business trips won't affect that.