ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Traveling Abroad with PSW Visa

Archived UK Tier 1 (Post-Study Work) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

bluenoser
Newly Registered

Traveling Abroad with PSW Visa

Post by bluenoser » Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:43 pm

Hello,

I obtained a PSW visa in January, after completing an MSc, which is valid until 2012. I recently traveled to France for a weekend of skiing and sight seeing with three friends (all of whom are British citizens) and to visit with a friend who lives in France. Upon my return to the UK I was required to go through Border Control for non EU passport holders as expected. However, the officer who questioned me was very rude and incredibly interrogative.

The conversation went sort of like this (O = Officer, M = Me):

O: How long are you staying in the UK and why are you entering the UK?
M: I have a PSW visa valid until January 2012 and I work here.
O: You are currently employed?
M: Yes.
O: Where?
M: I work at *location removed for privacy* as clerical staff.
O: What do you do there?
M: I *information on what I do removed for privacy*.
O: And how did you get this job?
M: I worked there part-time when I was a student and then they hired me to continue once I graduated.
O: What did you study when you were here?
M: I did a masters in *subject removed for privacy*.
O: And how is that related to your current job?
M: Well, it is not directly, but I was very good at the job and I really enjoy it. It is only temporary as I am looking for other positions related to my field and I am also applying to PhDs.
O: And does the Home Office know about you doing this job?
M: Yes (I was not sure about this, since on a PSW you do not need to notify the HO when you have a job).
O: And they are okay with this?
M: Yes (Again, the HO does not care what job I have on PSW or even if I *have* a job).
O: Well that does not make any sense to me, why would they hire you, and why you would do that job. You should really be doing a job related to your studies shouldn't you?
M: [I forget what I said at this point, but it was some sort of committal response.]
O: I guess it is not up to me. *Stamps Passport and Sends Me Through With a Grunt*.

I had brought three months worth of pay slips with me, but he did not ask to see any proof of my employment or anything, nor did he ask about any other aspects of my life here in the UK.

I have been in the UK for over a year and a half (most of that time as a student). I have a boyfriend here, a decent job, my taxes and finances are in order, I am not currently employed directly in my field but given the current job market the most I can do is keep looking for that (clearly I do not think it is an ideal situation either, as I would like to make use of my masters degree). So what is the problem? Holding a PSW visa entitles me to work in whatever industry I would like to, or even to not be employed so long as I am actively looking for a job.

I was wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience when returning to the UK while on a PSW Visa?

arsenal49
Diamond Member

Post by arsenal49 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:19 pm

i will be pissed if that happens to me.

You should make an anonymous complaint. Tell them when you were interrogated at what time exactly and how the officer looked like. Give them as much info as possible so that they can track down the officer.

You should not have to deal with this sort of behaviour at all since you are a legal resident of UK.

I sincerely hopes it is a one-off thing

Regards,

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:36 pm

Is the issue with you being questioned or the manner / tone / behaviour in which these questions wer asked by IO?

If the former, then please note that IOs can question anyone entering UK.

regards

bluenoser
Newly Registered

Post by bluenoser » Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:29 pm

I was fully expecting to be questioned, the issue was with the tone of the questioning.