ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Dependant Tier 1 visa to Tier 1 ( General) Immigrant visa

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

apekshad
Newly Registered

Dependant Tier 1 visa to Tier 1 ( General) Immigrant visa

Post by apekshad » Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:21 pm

Hi,

I have been living in UK since Feb 08 and have been working in UK since May 08. I came to UK as a dependant on my husband, who was then on work permit. In Feb 09 my husband switched to Tier 1 General immigrant visa and hence I switched to Tier 1 General Immigrant Dependant visa. My husband and I currently hold a bachelor's degree.

I plan to pursue a Master's Degree in Business Administration (MBA) which is a 13 month program. I will not be workign during this time. I think I can use my past earnings in UK to obtain points as long as at least one month of the 12 month period (for which I need to show my earnings for the visa application) falls within the past 15 months of my Tier 1 application. Is this correct?

My next question is : Will an MBA from a top 10 business school worldwide be considered as an eligible masters degree for me to be able to apply for Tier 1 visa?

Your help is much appreciated.

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Re: Dependant Tier 1 visa to Tier 1 ( General) Immigrant vis

Post by geriatrix » Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:31 pm

apekshad wrote:I think I can use my past earnings in UK to obtain points as long as at least one month of the 12 month period (for which I need to show my earnings for the visa application) falls within the past 15 months of my Tier 1 application. Is this correct?
No. Earnings in any consecutive 12 months during the 15 months preceding the (month of) application. Only maternity or adoption related absences exempted.
apekshad wrote:Will an MBA from a top 10 business school worldwide be considered as an eligible masters degree for me to be able to apply for Tier 1 visa?
Read the Tier 1 (General) policy guidance.

In order to change your immigration status from Tier 1 (General) dependent to Tier 1 (General) migrant, you'll have to return to home country and apply for EC. You cannot switch from within the UK.

regards
Last edited by geriatrix on Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

apekshad
Newly Registered

Post by apekshad » Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:27 pm

Hi,

Thank you for your response. However I plan to go from a student visa (when I am doing my MBA) to a Tier 1 General Immigrant visa. I dont think I need to go to my home country for that.

My question was does MBA count as a valid masters degree for Tier 1 general immigrant visa.

Thanks

HSK Accountancy Services

Post by HSK Accountancy Services » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:01 pm

apekshad wrote:Hi,

Thank you for your response. However I plan to go from a student visa (when I am doing my MBA) to a Tier 1 General Immigrant visa. I dont think I need to go to my home country for that.

My question was does MBA count as a valid masters degree for Tier 1 general immigrant visa.

Thanks
MBA stands for Master in Business Administration. Then why you think it will not be accepted specially you are going to do from a top 10 uni in the world?

You are little 2 year late otherwise you could have been eligible for MBA provision which mean 75 point without earnings criteria!

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:29 am

apekshad wrote:However I plan to go from a student visa (when I am doing my MBA) to a Tier 1 General Immigrant visa. I dont think I need to go to my home country for that.
If that is the case and you're thinking of enrolling as a student in the UK, you'll need to return to home country to apply for EC as a Tier 4 (general) applicant. See Can I switch in to the adult student category?.

This said, you may change immigration status from Tier 4 (General) to Tier 1 (General) from within the UK (assuming no change in switching rules).

regards
Last edited by geriatrix on Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:37 am

apekshad wrote:My question was does MBA count as a valid masters degree for Tier 1 general immigrant visa.
Yes, but do you think you'll be able to qualify for Tier 1 (General) without the points for previous earnings? You've stated that the MBA course you plan to enrol in is for 13 months and you'll not be working during those 13 months.

MBA = 35 points
UK experience = 5 (assuming MBA/qualifications in last 5 years from UK institution)
Age = 20 (assuming you're <28 years)
That makes 60, still short by 15 points to qualify for Tier 1 (General)!

That's the reason I suggested that you read the policy guidance.

regards