ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR Sheffield - HSMP JR - self-employed, 225 days outside UK

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

natale
Newly Registered

ILR Sheffield - HSMP JR - self-employed, 225 days outside UK

Post by natale » Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:00 pm

Hello everyone,

My story:
HSMP approval letter in the end 2005
Came to the UK Jan 2006
Got 4-year extension Dec 2006
Applied for ILR under HSMP JR in March 2010

My case wasn’t straightforward as, firstly, I did not work in my second year in the UK and secondly, my absences total was more than HO limit of 180 days in 4 years, i.e. 225 days in total excluding days of travel. I was advised not to apply in person, however, after reading a few posts on this forum decided to take a chance. I booked my appointment on the phone, rang at 8:58 exactly, got through at first attempt and had my appointment booked in Sheffield in 6 weeks time.

I have prepared the following documents to support my application (the documents I was actually asked to produce are in bold):

List of absences from the UK (stating dates, destinations, reason for travel and references to passport pages with the entry/exit stamps);
Letters from my contractors (I am self-employed sole trader) stating the dates outside the UK on business;

Email correspondence with my clients outside the UK confirming meeting dates;
Letter from my accountant confirming my self-employed status, listing my UK contractors and confirming I have no outstanding balance at HMRC;
Interim Income/Expenses report from the accountant for the tax year 2009/2010 to the end of Jan 2010;

Income/Expenses Report for the tax year 2008/2009;
Copy of Tax Return 2008/2009;
HMRC statement that I am up to date with my tax payments (You can request it from HMRC help line over the phone, mine arrived in less than a week);
Bank statements (I had last 12 months, was asked for the last 2);

P60, P45 and payslips for year 2006;
Council Tax bills for years 2006-2010;
NHS registrations cards.
(The last two only because proof of address was mentioned when booking my appointment)

I also took with me every single document with my name on it I received in the last 4 years, just in case.

My appointment was at 10:45 on Monday, but I arrived at the PEO at 9:45 and was admitted (you have to go through metal detector, but this is it from the security point of view and didn’t take long). Then at reception you’re given a ticket with a number, 5 minutes later I was asked to go to a window and this is when I was told that the caseworker wouldn’t be able to make the decision on the day as there are some necessary checks, which can’t be performed as they need information from their Liverpool office, which is on UKBA strike. They said I could either re-book my appointment or to go ahead so a caseworker considers my application and the only thing left would be this final check with Liverpool and I would have my documents by the end of the week. I said I’d stay and was asked to make the payment and my number will be called again. There was a delay as there is only one payment desk and someone was having trouble with their card (they do accept cash btw). 15 -20 minutes after I’d paid I was called again, now by my caseworker and he asked me what documents I had brought. I started with the letters, he asked me how often I travel on business, and then asked for the interim accountant’s report for this tax year, which was mentioned in the accountant’s letter. He said he was happy with my application and mentioned that HSMP requirements are quite broad anyway so you only need to show you’re economically active. He then said that there was a small chance they could get the answer from Liverpool on the day if I was prepared to stay in Sheffield. I stayed and 2 hours later he rang and said that I could come back and pick up my passport with the ILR. I also got a backdated ILR letter so I can apply for citizenship in 10 not 12 months.
I hope this is useful, btw, PEO staff are very friendly and helpful, the key is to be well prepared and make it as easy as possible for them.

Big thanks to everyone who shared their experiences at this forum and good luck!

web2005

Post by web2005 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:53 pm

Congratulations. My appointment was at Croydon office this morning at 11:15am. I entered the building at 11:15 although was advised to be there 30 mins before the appointment.

Person who initially checked my documents told me about the industrial action and possiblity of not getting the decision same day. I chose to go ahead with the application.

Waited there for 2.5 hours to be called by the case worker. Case worker was happy with all the documents (employer's letter, 3 payslips, 3 month's bank statements). She didn't take long as I didn't have any major absences. Few minutes later she told me because of industrial action they can't perform necassary checks at liverpool office and I have to leave my passports. They will do the necessary checks and post my passports back to my home address by early next week :( :( :(

I had no other option so left my passports there. I wish they had informed me in advance by txt/email about this industrial action going on today. I would have cancelled today's appointment. Why pay for the premium service if for any reason no decison can be made same day.

kiwigirl25
Member of Standing

Post by kiwigirl25 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:07 pm

web2005 wrote: I had no other option so left my passports there. I wish they had informed me in advance by txt/email about this industrial action going on today. I would have cancelled today's appointment. Why pay for the premium service if for any reason no decison can be made same day.
It's been heavily reported on the news and papers. Plus warnings were posted here, on this board, yesterday.

Anyway congrats to OP and good luck to you web2005 for your app :D