ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Volunteer Work whilst waiting for ILR

Employers looking for workers, people looking for employers: Get connected here.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

kiwigirl25
Member of Standing

Volunteer Work whilst waiting for ILR

Post by kiwigirl25 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:28 pm

Hi

I don't know if this is the right place to post my question but here it goes.

I can't legally work whilst waiting for my ILR decision. But I want to work even if it's unpaid. I need to feel useful. Some volunteer organisations state you need a valid work permit to even volunteer!!

So my question is what volunteer work can I legally do without a valid visa?

Thanking you in advance :D

global gypsy
United Kingdom

Post by global gypsy » Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:04 pm

kiwigirl, I doubt very much if work permit is required for volunteer positions! (It's possible they were referring to staff roles in charity orgns?)

Here's a great site that provides info on large numbers of volunteer positions - http://www.forum3.co.uk/parodia/

forum3 also have an annual meet in London, some time in October. It's a great opportunity to explore great openings in the charity sector.

All the best.

kiwigirl25
Member of Standing

Post by kiwigirl25 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:27 pm

Thanks for the reply. I will definitely check out that site :D

It was on Oxfam's volunteer page. I've just now double checked and it reads ... "If you are not a British National certain visa restrictions apply." But looking under other volunteer positions it doesn't state that. I gave up an opportunity to volunteer for my dream postion based on that statement. I'm so stupid :roll:

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:52 pm

No you can't I'm afraid, work is work unpaid or not and it's not allowed.
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

kiwigirl25
Member of Standing

Post by kiwigirl25 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:15 am

Oh how silly!! I want to put my skills to good use instead of rotting away waiting for the UKBA to make a decision on my future. But, despite the Home Office stating it wants immigrants to contribute to British society, I can't even volunteer for a charity or charities who are screaming out for vounteers. That's unpaid work that no-one else wants, because if people really wanted to volunteer charities like Oxfam wouldn't have two pages worth of volunteer vacancies. The volunteer e-newsletter I get very week wouldn't have the same vacanies time and time again. But I'll happily do unpaid work because I like to feel like I'm contributing and be in active employment. But it's what I deserve isn't it :roll:

In the meantime there are British-born citizens who are quite happy to sit around and do nothing while claiming benefits.

Rant over. :wink:

Wanderer, thanks for the clarification.