ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Thousands of marriages 'illegal'

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Southern_Sky

Thousands of marriages 'illegal'

Post by Southern_Sky » Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:39 pm

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/bre ... ing32.html

The Lithuanian embassy has performed about 100 marriage ceremonies since 2007 and the Polish embassy has performed about 500. The Department of Foreign Affairs estimates up to 3,000 couples could be affected.

gerard
Newly Registered

Re: Thousands of marriages 'illegal'

Post by gerard » Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:41 pm

Southern_Sky wrote:http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/bre ... ing32.html

The Lithuanian embassy has performed about 100 marriage ceremonies since 2007 and the Polish embassy has performed about 500. The Department of Foreign Affairs estimates up to 3,000 couples could be affected.
One thing i do not understand about this story, would the Embassy not get foreign soil? A marrigage perform in the Polish embassy in Dublin in technically in Poland, not Ireland, so how does Irish Law apply?

zafarzafar
BANNED

Post by zafarzafar » Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:41 am

I wonder, how the irish govt took 3 years to decide about the status of these marriages. Its completely unfair with the couples, there would be alot of probs between the couple, inheritance, custody rights....
I don't know if any other govt in the world could do such a stupid and expensive mistake for the couples suffering
arsalan

Pakhtoon
- thin ice -

Post by Pakhtoon » Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:21 am

This is probably the Irisih government's reaction to the sham marriages that have been taking place and dodging their immigration system for years.

The genuine couples now have to suffer. Sad indeed.
“Terrorism is the war of the poor; war is the terrorism of the rich.â€

sovtek

Post by sovtek » Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:18 pm

Ireland should be kicked out of the EU!

sovtek

Post by sovtek » Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:19 pm

Pakhtoon wrote:This is probably the Irisih government's reaction to the sham marriages that have been taking place and dodging their immigration system for years.

Firstly there is no evidence that there is a problem with sham marriages and secondly it doesn't "dodge" the immigration system in Ireland either.

kevo

Post by kevo » Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:28 pm

sovtek wrote:Ireland should be kicked out of the EU!
why??

IrishTom
BANNED

Post by IrishTom » Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:58 pm

sovtek wrote:
Pakhtoon wrote:This is probably the Irisih government's reaction to the sham marriages that have been taking place and dodging their immigration system for years.

Firstly there is no evidence that there is a problem with sham marriages and secondly it doesn't "dodge" the immigration system in Ireland either.
Shurely shome mishtake!

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=marriages+of+convenience+ireland

IrishTom
BANNED

Post by IrishTom » Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:04 pm

Would you like some salt and vinegar to go with that chip on your shoulder?

walkindublin
Newly Registered

Re: Thousands of marriages 'illegal'

Post by walkindublin » Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:57 pm

Hi All,
Don't want to waste time to complain how stupid the lawmakers are.

However, this change does affect me soooo...seriously...

Am about to apply irish citizenship through naturalization; and my marriage was done at our embassy in Dublin in November 2008.

So what is my option now? Can I still go forward for my application?

Thanks in Advance!

sovtek

Post by sovtek » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:47 am

IrishTom wrote:
sovtek wrote:

Shurely shome mishtake!

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=marriages+of+convenience+ireland
Like I said...

sovtek

Post by sovtek » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:58 am

IrishTom wrote:
How about a shovel for your bullshit

walkindublin
Newly Registered

Post by walkindublin » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:20 pm

sovtek wrote:
IrishTom wrote:
Hi Guys,
We are here to raise issues and find a way to solve them.. pls don't fall into infinite argument...

Truely, am facing the problem right now.. and desperately need a constructive advice..

P.S. I have no way to prove my marriage is NOT a 'marriages of convenience'; however, there's no evidence showing it IS such a case either.

We had a marriage ceremony in our country years ago, and we already bought a house in Ireland under both our names, and now am stuck by this FUNNY 'legal issue'..

sovtek

Post by sovtek » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:46 pm

walkindublin wrote:
sovtek wrote:
IrishTom wrote:
Hi Guys,
We are here to raise issues and find a way to solve them.. pls don't fall into infinite argument...

Truely, am facing the problem right now.. and desperately need a constructive advice..

P.S. I have no way to prove my marriage is NOT a 'marriages of convenience'; however, there's no evidence showing it IS such a case either.

We had a marriage ceremony in our country years ago, and we already bought a house in Ireland under both our names, and now am stuck by this FUNNY 'legal issue'..
That's because this isn't about sham marriages. It's an excuse to get rid of "surplus people". If they were worried about sham marriages then they could
1. Make a law against it...they haven't
2. Prosecute those found to be breaking that law.

We submitted loads of documents to prove a relationship (and some of it you would not be comfortable showing your family member much less some knee cap working in INIS) that any court would have accepted and still got a ruling of "insufficient documentation".

walrusgumble
BANNED

Post by walrusgumble » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:10 am

sovtek wrote:

Well if Ireland is kicked out, its possible that you won't have any concrete entitlement to stay. What's life like back home (I acknowledge that you probably have too many financial commitments etc to prevent you from leaving) but you should think before you spout on this. By all means, you could always led the way like moses back to the "promise land"

You are naive if you genuinely believe that there is no evidence of sham marriages or at least fast marriages with intentions of sorting out immigration in Ireland. Again, time will tell on this one.

The marriages in the embassy matters don't neccesarily relate to couples that are residing in Ireland with a non EU spouse.

All countries have laws on marriage, ie marriages in certain buildings, before certain authorities etc. The lawyers at the embassies were wholly impotent to allow these marriages go ahead if they did not meet with national laws of Ireland (assuming they wished for the marriage to be considered under Irish law) Many of the established embassies DON'T carry out marriages at their building. What the hell was Spain doing? THey have been here for years (if it was a balkan state, i would somehow feel sympathy)

walrusgumble
BANNED

Post by walrusgumble » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:35 am

sovtek wrote:
walkindublin wrote:
sovtek wrote:
IrishTom wrote:
Hi Guys,

That's because this isn't about sham marriages. It's an excuse to get rid of "surplus people". If they were worried about sham marriages then they could
1. Make a law against it...they haven't
2. Prosecute those found to be breaking that law.

We submitted loads of documents to prove a relationship (and some of it you would not be comfortable showing your family member much less some ashtray working in INIS) that any court would have accepted and still got a ruling of "insufficient documentation".
Produce documents that ye are and have lived together.

What are you raving about. So you are telling me you are expected and requested by the Minister to show more than

Letter(s) from the Landlord(s) confirming your residence with wife/partner in Ireland
LEtter from PRTB
A number of utility bills (to cover a number of years, to make sure) with both names on them
Other type of letters confirming your co-habiting (eg health insurance, car insurance, mortgage - which btw only need to show the cover sheet!)
Bank statements for say the past 3 months (both)
Clear evidence that your spouse/partner works (eg payslips, letter from employer, p60)

Whats this bull about documents that you would not show your family? WHo the hell is asking you to produce same? What kind of documents? photographs? (They are useless btw as they could have being taken yesterday)

None of these documents are instrusive or difficult to obtain! What have you already sent that has set alarm bells ringing at the Embassy? You seem to protest too much. GIve them what you have and get on with it. Co-operate and you should/will have no problems as they need to make a decision within 6 months. If they don't have any concrete on you, they HAVE to give the status to you. Your the applicant so its up to you to provide evidence

Now, you say that you married, presumably your current wife, in your own country, years ago. RIght well what are you worried about? You are in a long term relationship. Whats wrong? do the state question the validity of the marriage cert and marriage in a legal sense? Were any of ye ever divorced? You know ye can go to the circuit court and get a declaration confirming that you marriage is valid under the eyes of Irish law

Seriously, what documents and problems are you having, from the sounds of it, i can see why you are extremely pissed off. But you can show a "durable relationship". Mortgates aint something to get into quickly. Fear not, if it takes six months to determine, fear not yet. GIve them documents to prove relationship, even letters from friends. strike if they have failed to decide by six months.

Kindly specify what documents you actually produced (without being personal) and everyone will see whether the State was reasonable to say if it was insufficient and or whether any court would accept same. Then we can help you (was your wife working?, thats what it may mean, ie exercising her eu rights) Have ye being living together, regardless of where, on a continous basis? If ye have documents from other countries, are they translated and certified by professional companies. If you can't get documents to prove residence from other countries, surely you can go to the local authorities of same and get something.

I ask, for those from EU States, how do their respective authorities deal with the matter? Surely there is concern when they see marriages occur with an asylum seeker and who only entered the host state one to two years ago. (that btw does not say, its impossible that the marriage could be genuine. I am certain many are genuine)

As for the laws, there is such thing as Common Law!!!!!!! If a marriage is a sham, Common Law provides that then the marriage IS NOT VALID and NEVER OCCURRED. THat tends to be enough punishment. By bother putting them in Jail and take up more taxpayers money? If a non eu is found involved in a sham marriage, then they won't get eu status and will likely be shipped out, in due course and due process. So the minister can get round this without putting up signs (ie legislation) saying Shams beware.

IF ANY COURT WOULD HAVE ACCEPTED,WHY DIDN'T YOU GO TO COURT TO CHALLENGE THIS. Courts are there also to give declarations to confirm the legal validity of marriage / foreign divorce (a matter that has plagued the courts long before the immigration trend, so get off your high horse) under irish law. THe documents might be ok, but if in another language its up to you to get them translated and certified by professional translators, maybe go to your embassy too?