ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EEA 2 - Comprehensive Medical Insurance?

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

alan87
Newly Registered

EEA 2 - Comprehensive Medical Insurance?

Post by alan87 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:20 pm

Hello, I have been searching the forums here but havent found a clear answer for my situation yet. I am the family member (spouse) of an EEA national, whom is a student here but neither of us work. My wife already has private comprehensive medical insurance, however, I do not (she is still able to receive it from her father's plan through his employment in Italy even though she is now married).

I am not a worker, so I was thinking to purchase the insurance for my application, but it doesnt seem so easy as I have gathered that insurance from the UK is not considered comprehensive as it won't cover emergency costs. Can anyone offer me information as to whether or not it is practical/possible/necessary for me to obtain private insurance?

Also, would my situation change if I was to accept employment before I submit my application? This may not be so practical as my EEA Family Permit expires April 9th, but it is probably possible for me to do this and send the application before my EEA FP is to expire.

Thank you.

Plum70
Diamond Member

Post by Plum70 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:49 pm

Accepting employment before submitting your EEA2 application should be fine if your employer understands the EEA regulations and your acquired rights of residence (irrespective of your EEA fam. permit expiring).

However, your wife being a student and only covered by her father's medical insurances means that you will have to get separate medical cover at the very least. If not, you may struggle to get a RC under the 'self-sufficient/student' category.

Hope this makes sense.