ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

How long can I stay out of the country before it affects ILR

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

chidol4u
Newly Registered

How long can I stay out of the country before it affects ILR

Post by chidol4u » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:15 pm

Hello,

I work for a UK company and I have just applied to change to their offshore contract which means that I will be offshore while I'm working for the company and don't need to come into the office when I'm not working.I'm contracted to work 6 months out of 12 a year.I still get paid my basic salary for the other 6 months while I'm at home.Most of my offshore assignments will also be outside UK waters

I am thinking of spending more time in my home country which is outside the EU and was wondering how this will affect my ILR after I have been resident in the UK for 5 years.My salary will continue to be paid in the UK so I effectively still get taxed here.I am contemplating moving out of my currently rented flat as I plan to spend a better part of my free 6 months somwhere cheaper to live and where I have more things to do.

Can anyone please advice me on what to avoid so that I don't jeopardise my chances of being able to apply for ILR after 5 years.I plan to eventually have my family settle here and don't want to ruin those chances for things I'm doing in the short term.I am currently in the first year of my Tier 1.I have lived in the UK for 4.5 years now having studied for my masters in the first and stayed on on a post-study work visa after my 1 year masters study.

vinny

Post by vinny » Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:27 am

This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.