ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Residence Card based on Family member

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

pereira1
Newly Registered

Residence Card based on Family member

Post by pereira1 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:40 am

I'm a non-European student studying in Sweden, and hoping to get married with my girlfriend (holding EU citizenship, staying with me in Sweden as well). Although she is not Swedish, however I heard I can be eligible to apply for residence in Sweden based on Family ties with an European citizen, and can get the 'Residence Card' which is valid for 5 years. Is it so?
If that is the case, are there some specific requirements to be eligible for that ? eg. Do we need to apply for something in her home country? Or we can directly apply in Sweden?
Also, once having residence card, does a person has to live in Sweden for all the time to apply for permanent residence? I heard in many countries, you have to live there for half of the time.

koded

Post by koded » Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:14 pm

You can apply for residence card once both of you are married. But your wife must be execerising her EU treaty rights. E.g. working, studying, self employed. if she meet this requirements then you can apply for residence card.
As for permanent residence, I think it is after 5 years of consistence living in that country that you can apply for permanent residence.
you don't need to obtain anything from your wife's country of origin.