ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

checks after dublin

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

aniya

checks after dublin

Post by aniya » Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:16 pm

hello everyone
I was wondering if anyone could help with this issue.

Is there any border control checks(passport checks for visa purpose) upon leaving dublin for an internation flight??

Secondly,if a person is travelling from Dublin to Hong Kong but because the flights arent direct,there will be a connection with heathrow.
So, are we considered a transit passenger when we land at heathrow waiting to board the connecting flight??
And if we are transit passenger,do we go through immigration checks/border control??
Or do we just get transported by a airside bus from one terminal to another without any sort of immigration or passport check,and just wait for the next flight which is of less than 3 hrs of wait.

Thank you to everyone in advance for reading.

zafarzafar
BANNED

Post by zafarzafar » Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:30 pm

Is there any border control checks(passport checks for visa purpose) upon leaving dublin for an internation flight??
No there is no border control or visa check when you are leaving ireland.

are we considered a transit passenger when we land at heathrow waiting to board the connecting flight??
Yes you would be considered a transit passenger and you should not hold a transit visa for UK because u r just passing, ur luggage would be booked for final destination and you can hold a hand carry with you only.
And if we are transit passenger,do we go through immigration checks/border control??
You would be passed by security check but no through a proper immigration check, There is one possibility which border control is using now a days, that in the departure lounge some times the immigration people comes in and randomly select couple of people and check their passports/money and few questions, but it depends, it always doesn't happen.
arsalan

aniya

Post by aniya » Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:47 pm

thank you zafarzafar

So does that mean,when we land at heathrow for instance by Aer lingus @T1...then how do we go to T3 to the connected flight?Do we go on those airside buses?? and that way there's no immigration checks??

zafarzafar
BANNED

Post by zafarzafar » Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:05 pm

how do we go to T3 to the connected flight?
You can go by shuttle bus service. Buses are available frequently.
Also when u go from ireland to UK on terminal 1 there is no immigration check. Can i ask why u want to avoid immigration check ?
arsalan

aniya

Post by aniya » Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:13 pm

well,its not me but one of my relative who has overstayed in Uk,wants to fly back to Hong Kong,and using Ireland route but does want to be stop at the Heathrow again,thats all.
hope that doesn't change you reply :?

f2k
Diamond Member

Post by f2k » Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:42 pm

whilst there MIGHT not be any checks by immigration when you arrive at Heathrow, the airline in Dublin might not allow him to check in if he is requires a visa and does not have one. If possible he may want to consider transiting through say France, Germany, Netherlands etc

zafarzafar
BANNED

Post by zafarzafar » Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:58 pm

It happend to my friend, couple of weeks ago, he was traveling to heathrow from dublin and than to Islamabad. the air lingus boarding crew member booked his luggage to islamabad and he got hand carry only and he was warned not to leave airport.
so ask you friend to be very much carefull while traveling
arsalan

archigabe

Post by archigabe » Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:21 pm

Some visa required nationals need to have a visit visa even if they are just transiting Heathrow, so it's in your interest to have the appropriate visa.

IrishTom
BANNED

Post by IrishTom » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:31 am

aniya wrote:well,its not me but one of my relative who has overstayed in Uk,wants to fly back to Hong Kong,and using Ireland route but does want to be stop at the Heathrow again,thats all.
hope that doesn't change you reply :?
So he is an illegal immigrant who wishes to use my nation as a get away? :x

Lost Soul

Post by Lost Soul » Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:37 am

Everyone leaving Heathrow on a flight destined outside the EU is subject to a visa check for their destination and for the UK.

With a bit of luck they'll lock your friend up, deport them and we won't have the hassle of having them here again -ever.

aniya

Post by aniya » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:29 pm

f2k wrote:whilst there MIGHT not be any checks by immigration when you arrive at Heathrow, the airline in Dublin might not allow him to check in if he is requires a visa and does not have one. If possible he may want to consider transiting through say France, Germany, Netherlands etc

thanks f2k
well he got a BNO passport which does not require visa (visa free access for6 months)
so will dublin airport still have problems...?

KLM or luftansa flies to hongkong from dublin too..and BNO passport does not require a visa..so will that be a better option?
Last edited by aniya on Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

aniya

Post by aniya » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:32 pm

zafarzafar wrote:It happend to my friend, couple of weeks ago, he was traveling to heathrow from dublin and than to Islamabad. the air lingus boarding crew member booked his luggage to islamabad and he got hand carry only and he was warned not to leave airport.
so ask you friend to be very much carefull while traveling

thank you very mucgh for your reply zafarzafar...sorry,i got confused about something,..you said (he was warned not to leave airport) which airport is that you talking about ,heathrow or dublin??
Last edited by aniya on Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

aniya

Post by aniya » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:34 pm

archigabe wrote:Some visa required nationals need to have a visit visa even if they are just transiting Heathrow, so it's in your interest to have the appropriate visa.
hmm..well he is a non visa required national,so does that mean they check at dublin if the passenger has a transit visa or not .Or is it at heathrow they check all this?
many thanks

f2k
Diamond Member

Post by f2k » Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:06 am

aniya wrote:
f2k wrote:
thanks f2k
well he got a BNO passport which does not require visa (visa free access for6 months)
so will dublin airport still have problems...?

KLM or luftansa flies to hongkong from dublin too..and BNO passport does not require a visa..so will that be a better option?
If he does not require a visa or indeed a transit visa he as nothing to worry about.

Ben
Diamond Member

Post by Ben » Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:45 am

Hi Aniya,
aniya wrote:KLM or luftansa flies to hongkong from dublin too..and BNO passport does not require a visa..so will that be a better option?
Yes it will.

Not much point in flying from Britain to Belfast, travelling by land to Dublin, then flying from Dublin to London as a transit passenger to Hong Kong, if the entire intention is to avoid the UKBA.

DUB-HKG via AMS with KLM, CDG with AF, ZRH with Swiss or via FRA with Lufthansa would be a better option. Check www.skyscanner.net for prices.
I am no longer posting publicly on this website - PM me if needed.