ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Ireland and Switzerland

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

ugurevin
Newly Registered

Ireland and Switzerland

Post by ugurevin » Tue Sep 27, 2005 11:37 am

1. Can we go to Switzerland and/or Ireland as a visitor without any visa?
2. Can we work in Switzerland and/or Ireland as a contractor for 6 months or less?

Rgds,
Ugur

Chess
Diamond Member

Post by Chess » Tue Sep 27, 2005 11:45 am

1. Switzerland (Yes); Rep of Ireland (No.)

2. No
Where there is a will there is a way.

ugurevin
Newly Registered

Post by ugurevin » Tue Sep 27, 2005 12:03 pm

Thanks Chess. Is there any other country we can visit without visa using our limited/indefinite leave to remain?

Smit
Member of Standing

Post by Smit » Tue Sep 27, 2005 12:03 pm

Ugur,

I am assuming that you are a HSMP visa holder and that your nationality is one which would normally require visas for both Switzerland and Ireland. As long as you hold a valid HSMP visa, you won't require visas to make short visits to Switzerland.

As regards Ireland, the UK and Ireland Governments have entered into an Agreement such that people crossing from one country to the other do not require passports, as long as they hold a valid photo id such as a UK photocard driving licence. So you can travel to Ireland from the UK if you have a valid UK photocard Driving Licence (not 100% sure if a provisional DL is allowed but I think they are)-this policy is adopted by airlines flying between the 2 countries.

ugurevin
Newly Registered

Post by ugurevin » Tue Sep 27, 2005 12:07 pm

Thanks Smit. My wife and I have UK driving licenses. If we are able to fly to Ireland then, what document do I need to take my child who is 5 yrs old with us?

Smit
Member of Standing

Post by Smit » Tue Sep 27, 2005 12:09 pm

I think you will require a visa for your child, has he/she got a separate passport? What nationality?

ugurevin
Newly Registered

Post by ugurevin » Tue Sep 27, 2005 12:14 pm

No she is in her mother's passport. However the logic behind the UK driving licence indicates that you are a resident in the UK. We can prove this showing her UK resident visa on her mother's passport. In other words, isn't it possible to enter the UK using our passports with UK residency visas then which is the other way around to prove our residency in the UK.

Kayalami
Diamond Member

Post by Kayalami » Tue Sep 27, 2005 12:36 pm

Ugurevin,

I regret that Smit is incorrect on a crucial aspect. The Republic of Ireland/ UK agreement he refers to is only for citizens of said countries. It is not for third country nationals regardless of any type of leave held - limited or indefinite.

If you need a visa for travel to Ireland based on your nationality then you must obtain such. Your UK status is meaningless other than making you eligible to apply for a visa at the Irish consulate in London. Depending on the validity/type of your UK visa and ties thereof you may or may not be granted a visitor visa. The same applies to employment in Ireland. Such requires appropriate authorisation/permission - this based on your nationality and type of work being done. Sorry

The good news though is you can travel to Swiss as a visitor if holding a UK visa/ residence permit of prequisite format, validity and duration. Admisssion to Swiss as in all jurisdictions for non nationals includes conditions attached to visiting including having funds and that you will not be working/ seeking employment.

Smit
Member of Standing

Post by Smit » Tue Sep 27, 2005 5:14 pm

Kayalami,

I agree with you as far as black letter law is concerned and I did point out that "I am assuming that you are a HSMP visa holder and that your nationality is one which would normally require visas for both Switzerland and Ireland".

However, from a practical perspective, neither the airlines nor immigration on both sides insist on production of passports when crossing from one country to the other, as long as you have a valid photo i.d. I have crossed back and forth many times without any hitches, I simply flash my UK DL at immigration. This saves the hassle of getting visas. If there is such a glaring loophole in immigration between Ireland and the UK, this is it! [/b][/u][/quote]

Kayalami
Diamond Member

Post by Kayalami » Wed Sep 28, 2005 9:37 am

smit,

humour me if you will - what is your:

1. Nationality?

2. UK Visa status?

3. Duration and Validity of 2?

4. Purpose of your trips to Eire?

luke
Newly Registered

Post by luke » Wed Sep 28, 2005 11:01 am

Quick question on a related issue: does "visa free" travel of the type being described here (not entering into the debate as to which country is visa free and for whom :) ) count toward the 6M in 4Y out-of-country allowance for the ILR?

Sorry if that's a silly question but I'm unsure. I'd always assumed that all travel would involve using your passport, which would then carry all the details required to show whether you'd exceeded your 6M or not. If for some destinations the passport is staying in the pocket then how does it work?

Keen to find out as with an ageing parent back in AU I'm likely to find myself spending time travelling back there but I'm a little worried that won't leave enough time for work travel (or other holidays) without blowing the 6M limit.

-luke

Chess
Diamond Member

Post by Chess » Wed Sep 28, 2005 11:05 am

In addition to kayalami's Q's; are you Black, White or Asian? :lol:

if your nationality requires a Visa for entry to Eire; you have been playing with *fire*. they will put an annoying red stamp in your passport and deport you back to the UK :shock:
Where there is a will there is a way.

Smit
Member of Standing

Post by Smit » Wed Sep 28, 2005 5:35 pm

It would appear that I was indeed breaking the law by crossing into Ireland from the UK and back with a UK driving licence as only EEA nationals can do this and I am a non EEA national.

My posts on this subject could be misinterpreted and I would kindly request the Moderators to remove them forthwith.

luke
Newly Registered

Post by luke » Wed Sep 28, 2005 10:58 pm

Well I suppose that answers my question then! :wink:

gulgon

Post by gulgon » Mon Oct 03, 2005 7:52 pm

Thanks for this good discussion.

I also heard many Turkish guys are coming from the UK, using belfast route... Just keep a photo id ready with you in case they ask. from the UK, you fily to Belfast that is a part of the UK. And from Belfast you take train to dublin, where you have got not border control as far as they know.

I have also been approved for HSMP and currently working in Dublin with WP. I dont know if I should use such a route, as there are always worst possibilities, in case I want to go for an interview before my EC starts...