ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Do you have to be employed when applying for citizenship?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Kotiara

Do you have to be employed when applying for citizenship?

Post by Kotiara » Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:06 pm

Part 4 of the application form for British Citizenship (good character requirement) has the following questions:
Section 3: Good Character Requirement
In this section you need to give information which will help the Home Secretary to decide whether he can be
satisfied that you are of good character. Checks will be made with the police and possibly other Government
Departments, the Security Service and other agencies.
3.1 What is your occupation?
3.2 Are you An employee? A business partner? Self-employed? A director?
3.3 Name of employer or business
3.4 Address of employer or business
3.5 Address of tax office or tax office reference
Does it mean that I have to be employed at the time of application? I got my ILR based on HSMP? If being employed is not a requirement, does it affect the outcome in any way? How should I answer these questions if I'm unemployed? Should i give contact details of my last employer and make it clear that I don't work there anymore?

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:11 pm

You obviously need to answer the form honestly. As regards whether you need to be employed, no it is not necessary.
John

Kotiara

Post by Kotiara » Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:17 pm

John wrote:You obviously need to answer the form honestly. As regards whether you need to be employed, no it is not necessary.
How should I answer 3.3 and 3.4 if i'm unemployed?

3.3 "Currently unemployed"?

3.4 "N/A"?

I haven't found any requirements regarding current employment status either, but could being unemployed negatively affect the outcome of my application even if there is no official requirment?

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:31 pm

Those answers look fine.

Obviously not on your route, but for example on the spouse visa route, some successful applicants for Naturalisation have never had paid work in the UK before they get their Citizenship. For example a housewife (or househusband).
John