ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

PhD on tier 1 General Visa

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

sherlockholmes
Newly Registered

PhD on tier 1 General Visa

Post by sherlockholmes » Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:33 am

Hello,

I am currently on Tier 1 Visa granted: July 2009 and runs out: Jul 2012. I am thinking of doing a PhD from September 2010. This will last for three years. During these three years I will be paid a stipend of £13,000 which is tax free.

I wanted to know, can I continue to study on my Tier 1 visa, or do I have to change to the student visa?

vks

Re: PhD on tier 1 General Visa

Post by vks » Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:01 am

sherlockholmes wrote:Hello,

I am currently on Tier 1 Visa granted: July 2009 and runs out: Jul 2012. I am thinking of doing a PhD from September 2010. This will last for three years. During these three years I will be paid a stipend of £13,000 which is tax free.

I wanted to know, can I continue to study on my Tier 1 visa, or do I have to change to the student visa?
Tier 1 General is for economic migrants and Tier 4 is for students!(I hope you know that)
Answering bluntly,
the college or university will be asking for the right VISA
When you plan to extend your VISA, you can't show the stipend as your past earnings
After 5 years(if the current rules stay) you will not be able to get the ILR
Regards,
vks

sherlockholmes
Newly Registered

Career break

Post by sherlockholmes » Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:11 am

Thank you VKS.

Well, I work with NHSBT, and I am eligible for a career break for up to 5 years. So I was planning for a PhD and then again join my position in the NHSBT.

Hence, I situation is a little tricky. So you still think, I would have to change the student status?

Also, referring to your 5 years, do the home office consider your years on student visa for your ILR?

aruni4470
Diamond Member

Post by aruni4470 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:14 am

Also, referring to your 5 years, do the home office consider your years on student visa for your ILR?
No it doesnt.

sherlockholmes
Newly Registered

Post by sherlockholmes » Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:26 am

Thank you Aruni,

This is getting confusing! Do not know what to do!

[iD]

Post by [iD] » Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:32 am

not sure if he's not allowed to study tbh as long as he can keep the balance
any homeoffice published rule that says he cant?

here is a helpful note from Glamorgan University Cardiff
http://intsupport.glam.ac.uk/non-tier-4/
Goodluck.

vks

Post by vks » Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:45 am

[iD] wrote:not sure if he's not allowed to study tbh as long as he can keep the balance
any homeoffice published rule that says he cant?

here is a helpful note from Glamorgan University Cardiff
http://intsupport.glam.ac.uk/non-tier-4/
Well I did not say you can't study! There will be implications down the line!
Part time would not harm though!
Regards,
vks

ukswus

Re: PhD on tier 1 General Visa

Post by ukswus » Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:07 pm

I know for a fact that Tier 1 dependents can study (I got this confirmation in writing, both from HO and the UK Embassy). The University also did not require the dependent to obtain Tier 4 visa, Tier 1 dependent was enough.

I would assume the same applies to main Tier 1 visa holder. The only possible implication is that you may not be able to extend your visa if you can't show enough earnings after 3 years of stay.

sherlockholmes wrote:Hello,

sherlockholmes
Newly Registered

Post by sherlockholmes » Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:22 pm

Well Thank you all for your replies!

Well, my Father is a businessman back in India. If he adds me as a sleeping partner for a share of 20% I would be able to show a previous earnings that are required for extending the Tier 1 Visa.

So now my question is, can I study in the UK as a career break from NHSBT and during the three years of studying, I can act as a sleeping partner for my Dad's company and extend the visa on the basis on my Indian income?

pkumar
Member of Standing

Post by pkumar » Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:29 pm

You cannot claim earning abroad while being physically in UK.....
Trust me if what you saying works ... then i would tell me parents to take Tier 1 visa rather than tourist visa :)