ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

On ILR, can we apply for Child Benefit and Child Tax Credit?

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

superye
Newly Registered

On ILR, can we apply for Child Benefit and Child Tax Credit?

Post by superye » Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:11 am

Hi all,

Both me and my wife have just got ILR (after 5 years on a work permit) last month, and my son was born last year. We both work for the same company and my wife is currently on maternity leave to take care of the baby. I am wondering if we can apply for Child Benefit and Child Tax Credit? And will this affect my application to British Citizenship which is 10 months away?

Thanks a lot.

Coodi

Danbrix

Post by Danbrix » Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:41 am

Once ILR granted ... you will be eligible to apply for benefits and you can claim the ones you are entitled for and shouldn't affect your application for naturalisation.

superye
Newly Registered

Post by superye » Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:05 pm

Danbrix wrote:Once ILR granted ... you will be eligible to apply for benefits and you can claim the ones you are entitled for and shouldn't affect your application for naturalisation.
Thank you, is there any chance I can see this infomation on any border agency or any other official websites?

Thanks again

Danbrix

Post by Danbrix » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:06 pm

If you look at HMRC it reads as ...
Immigration control and tax credits

If you're subject to 'immigration control' you won't normally be able to get tax credits.
When you're not subject to immigration control

You're not subject to immigration control if any of the following applies:

* you’re a UK national
* you’re a national of a European Economic Area country or Switzerland
* you’ve claimed asylum and you have been told by the Home Office that you can stay in the UK as a refugee
* the Home Office has told you that you are allowed to stay in the UK indefinitely

cheers2boss

Post by cheers2boss » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:42 pm