ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Applying for US passport by way of US born parents

USA immigration, green card questions:
Employment based Green Cards | H-1B visas | Family based Visas | Citizenship

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

touchstone
Newly Registered

Applying for US passport by way of US born parents

Post by touchstone » Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:03 pm

Hello,
I am planning on acquiring US citizenship by applying directly for a passport at my US consulate in Canada. Since I was born before May 24, 1934, I understand that I can acquire citizenship through either of my parents being born in the US (Under section 301(c) of the INS act). I have all the necessary documentation to prove their birth in the US, my birth certificate, etc.
What I am worried about is proof of physical residence. Both my parents are now deceased, probably obvious, and they both immigrated to Canada very young even before attending school. Thus finding evidence of residency is not easy even though the requirement is non time specific.

Looking for any ideas at all. I am trying to track down baptismal certificates and I do have a Canadian border crossing document stating the date my father immigrated to the US (one year after he was born) so that may help. Again, any feedback would be appreciated. Thank you.

Shirley

Marco 72
Diamond Member

Re: Applying for US passport by way of US born parents

Post by Marco 72 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:31 pm

Hi, I take it both of your parents were US citizens, and they were married? How old was your mother when she emigrated to Canada?

touchstone
Newly Registered

Post by touchstone » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:07 am

Hi Marco,

Thanks for the reply. Yes they were married and my mother was two and my father four when they immigrated to Canada.