ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

UK Immigration law - retroactive???

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

t-bag

UK Immigration law - retroactive???

Post by t-bag » Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:23 pm

Hi, that's a good question i would need expert answer on.

Is the UK Immigration Law Retroactive?? IE : I'm currently on a 5 year work permit due to expire in 2012. Let's say (with the elections, for example), the law changes and they say : Work permit holders now do not qualify for ILR, would that affect previous holders, or will that be effective from the day the law has been voted?? Also, will they specifically state it that it affects everyone?? Thanks in advance

Sky_High
Member of Standing

Post by Sky_High » Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:35 pm

And the answer is

When time period for ILR was changed from 4 to 5 years it was applied to every one.

They could give some relief to HSMP holders (Because of JR) but WP holders and current Tier 1 holders should not expect it. And now they have covered their legal grounds as well.

dimsav

Post by dimsav » Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:28 pm

I am in a similar situation, see discussion in this topic.

Sky_High, could you please clarify what you mean by saying that "...now they have covered their legal grounds as well."

Generally, is there anything that we can do to make these retroactive changes not happen? I am aware of the initiative by Immigrant Welfare to get WP holders their rights back... has anyone contacted them?

Thanks!