ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Settlement Visa in Brazil

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

kamui
Newly Registered

Settlement Visa in Brazil

Post by kamui » Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:38 pm

Hi

My partner applied for a settlement visa (as unmarried civil partners) in Rio de Janeiro at the end of February and we have not had any reply yet. In that same time, we know of at least one other person (a friend of a friend) who has applied with his partner and was accepted in 5 days and had his Visa a few days later.

To be honest we did not really expect it to take this long, even knowing that it could, as we provided a lot of supporting evidence (including substantial personal statements, lots of proof of our 2 year relationship with letters from friends and pictures etc, bank statements and pay slips showing my earnings which is more than enough to keep us both, and has for 6 months that we've lived together, a booked date for our Civil Partnership in May, and more).

I am getting a bit concerned now being in the UK as he is still in Brazil and we have just not heard anything. Checking the Worldbridge site for his application always just shows "Arrived at the Visa Section" and when he applied he was emailed to say they expected to process his application in 15 working days, while at the end of this week it will be 30 working days without hearing anything. He did have a return ticket (we weren't advised against getting one and since we were both going on holiday to Brazil at the same time as submitting the application we got one anyway) but that came and went a couple of weeks ago.

My worry now is that he may not get approved in time for our CP date (21 May). I find it confusing as they say they'll try and process in time for a return flight as long as you apply 1 month before, but we have heard nothing at all. We don't have any idea why it might be delayed as they've not asked for any information or anything. I was in Brazil for a week and a half after we submitted the application and I stated in my personal statement that I was available to contact in person but again, nothing.

We have no idea what might be holding it up so I wondered if anyone had any idea? Is it normal to have to wait this long hearing nothing at all? Is it worth emailing the consulate's complaint email or emailing a complaint via the Worldbridge site to get an idea of what is happening? We just want to know something about the application, at the moment it's awful because we are just waiting and any plans we had are on hold. Would really appreciate any advice. Thanks

MPH80
Respected Guru

Post by MPH80 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:51 pm

What exactly did you apply for?

Was it an unmarried partner visa? or a proposed civil partnership visa?

The former requires 2 years of living in a relationship akin to marriage - e.g. you have to have been living together for two years.

http://www.bia.homeoffice.gov.uk/partne ... s/#header1

The latter requires proof you can sustain the person without recourse to public funds and proof of intention to marry within 6 months.

http://www.bia.homeoffice.gov.uk/partne ... lpartners/

If it's the former (which is what you've put) the reason it could be taking so long is because you've only been living together 6 months (from what you've said) and they are finding it difficult to approve.

M.

kamui
Newly Registered

Post by kamui » Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:04 pm

MPH80 wrote:What exactly did you apply for?

Was it an unmarried partner visa? or a proposed civil partnership visa?
Hi, sorry for my poor wording (I forget how many variations of the settlement visa there are), it was done as a proposed civil partnership.
The latter requires proof you can sustain the person without recourse to public funds and proof of intention to marry within 6 months.
We have been in a relationship for 2 years and living together 6 months (at the time of application). We included our provisional civil partnership booking as part of the supporting evidence, as well as my bank statements and pay slips. I earn a decent wage, more than enough to sustain the both of us without public funds as I have done for the past 6 months, so I would be gutted if it was because of that. I thought we had made this all clear in the application and evidence but it could be that we did not do enough.

kamui
Newly Registered

Re: Settlement Visa in Brazil

Post by kamui » Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:56 pm

Today my partner received this email:
> To: {removed}
> Subject: Your Visa Application at Rio de Janeiro (Ref: {removed})
> Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2010 15:57:34 -0300
>
> Has been issued and will be sent to WorldBridge in approximately one working day. We want to hear your views on the service we provided, please complete our Customer Satisfaction Survey at: http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/en/aboutus/features/survey
Does this mean he has got his Visa or does it just mean a decision has been made???

SunBlue

Post by SunBlue » Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:54 am

Kamui,
it means that a decision has been made. However, as you provided lots of evidence, I am sure it's a positive one! Congratulations to you and your partner!