ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Applying for my wife's nationality

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

MAGDOC
Newly Registered

Applying for my wife's nationality

Post by MAGDOC » Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:07 pm

I am a naturalized irish citizen. When I applied for naturalization I was single. The naturalization certificate I got also state my status as single. I am married now and my wife is non EU national.

My question is can I apply for her nationality as a wife of Irish Citizen or She has to go through the whole process of naturalization i.e (live in state for 5 years and then apply for naturalization and wait for another 4 years to get a reply from the department).

Help will be much appreciated.

Ben
Diamond Member

Post by Ben » Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:25 pm

I am no longer posting publicly on this website - PM me if needed.

strongbow
Member of Standing

Post by strongbow » Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:30 pm

ben,
How would you interpret this statement:
You must be married to the Irish citizen for at least 3 years
Say A has been married to B for 5 years, but A acquired Irish citizenship by naturalisation only in the 5th year of marriage, he is not an Irish citizen for 4 years in this marriage, so would the condition "You must be married to the Irish citizen for at least 3 years" be met?

I was confused by this. I also asked DoJ for a clarification but they never gave an answer. This situation was for my wife. I wanted to see if she would qualify for naturalisation as the spouse of an Irish citizen(I acquired Irish citizenship by naturalisation) , since the processing time for this case is much faster than the processing time for getting naturalised on the basis of one's own 5 year residency. Since I never got a straight answer, my wife applied for naturalisation once she completed 5 years in her own right of residing in Ireland. The waiting time for this is longer but my logic was that DoJ should not spend a year and a half sitting on her application and then say "You are not eligible to apply as spouse of Irish citizen" and send her back to the end of the queue!

Ben
Diamond Member

Post by Ben » Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:35 pm

strongbow wrote:ben,
How would you interpret this statement:
You must be married to the Irish citizen for at least 3 years
Say A has been married to B for 5 years, but A acquired Irish citizenship by naturalisation only in the 5th year of marriage, he is not an Irish citizen for 4 years in this marriage, so would the condition "You must be married to the Irish citizen for at least 3 years" be met?
I would say no, since she would have only been the spouse of an Irish citizen for one year.

I'm not certain though. Wait for others.
I am no longer posting publicly on this website - PM me if needed.

ciaramc

Post by ciaramc » Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:14 pm

This is a tricky one.....how long has your wife lived in Ireland? Remember she has to be married to an Irish citizen for 3 years and also living on the Island of Ireland for 2 or 3 of those years?? I think?? Right

My hubby and I have been married 5 years but never lived in Ireland so he will have to wait 3 years before applying and I understand it can take 2/3 years to process....so in all we could be married 10/11 years before he will get a visa....saying that he will get an EUfam stamp 4 when we move to Ireland!!

strongbow
Member of Standing

Post by strongbow » Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:16 pm

I would actually agree with Ben's interpretation.