ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Calculation of Days for ILR at Croydon (successful app)

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

If you received an ILR recently, how do you think your days were calculated

Simple math
25%
Excluding travel days
50%
Including travel days
25%

Total votes: 4

CoffeeAndCharcoal
Newly Registered

Calculation of Days for ILR at Croydon (successful app)

Post by CoffeeAndCharcoal » Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:49 pm

Hi everyone,
I am one of the many people who found this website when desperately seeking information about applying for Indefinite Leave to Remain on the basis of a Work Permit held for 5 years Set(0). I hope my experience will give some clarity to people confused about how days are calculated. I have read a lot about this in the past, but the information is not consistent.

As many people are aware, there is a requirement that you are not outside the UK for more than "six months" in total and not more than "three months" at any one time. The way that we all understand this to be interpreted is no more than 90 days in one trip or 180 days in total.

This leads to the question "How is 180 days calculated?" (especially for those of us who love living in Europe for all the quick trips you can take!). I took 22 trips outside the UK during the 5 years I was employed on a work permit in the UK. Most of these trips were short holidays, but two were for business. The way the border agency calculates entry and exit days makes a huge difference in the total calculation, which in my case is +/- 44 days depending on how you count things.

For instance how many days is an absence between
July 11 - July 13.
Simple math (13 - 11) = 2
Excluding travel days = 1
Including travel days (11th, 12th, 13th) = 3

The Croydon PEO case worker for my application on April 9th 2010 applied the "simple math" calculation. He carefully wrote on the forms the number of days on each line of the Set(0) form and the second page which I provided. To help him with his calculation (and demonstrate that I had checked) I handed him a spreadsheet with my calculations (excluding travel days). He looked at it and said "Oh I see, you have forgotten to count the day out. We include the day out in the calculation". When doing his calculation I noticed that he did not write a number down beside the dates where I listed the reason as a "business trip". I had included a signed letter from my employer verifying the business trips which he previously examined.

In my particular case it actually didn't matter (I passed the 180 day test regardless of the way you count the days), but I cancelled a holiday and haven't left the UK for 6 months out of fear about the calculation. I'm glad that I didn't leave because it could have easily caused a problem!

In summary, my advice is to apply the "simple math" calculation to your days out of the country and get letters confirming all business trips. If you exceed 180 days doing simple math I recommend getting extra strong documentation and be prepared to make a polite case for your particular method of counting days.

A few additional points that may be of interest to people
- The ILR letter strangely states "returning the enclosed passport endorsed with an extension of stay in the United Kingdom". The ILR itself states it is a "Residence Permit"
- I had a printout of the appointment confirmation but was asked to show a Booking Ref # when I got to the first desks. Luckily this had been sent to me in a text message earlier because I thought the printout of the appointment confirmation webpage was sufficient. The officer let me turn on my mobile phone briefly to write down the number in pen on the letter.
- Keep all receipts etc. handed to you. They check them several times.
- I had 3 payslips and 4 years of P60s. They didn't ask any questions about this
- I provided 6 months of banks statements for 3 accounts. They only examined the current account.
- I had a 3pm appointment and was a little concerned that they would run out of time and not be able to see me. There are signs saying that you will be seen on the day if you have paid etc. I wouldn't worry about having a late vs early appointment.

I hope this helps. Good luck everyone, and thanks for all the information.

gidoc

Post by gidoc » Sat Apr 10, 2010 12:08 am

Congrats for ILR
Good point about counting of days. Each case worker is different and may use discretion. It does state in guidance available in this forum that ' travel days are to be exluded' from counting. My absences were 172, counting one travel day ,they would have been 20+, as I had made that many trips abroad. My case worker did not query me at all about absences.
Best Regards

Son_of_Soil
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

REQUEST SAR FILE

Post by Son_of_Soil » Sat Apr 10, 2010 2:16 am

hi guys
Can you tell how can i request a list of travel dates out of uk as i need to apply fot ILR IN JAN 2011 , i dnt want to exceed 180days

thanxs

CoffeeAndCharcoal
Newly Registered

Re: REQUEST SAR FILE

Post by CoffeeAndCharcoal » Sat Apr 10, 2010 2:25 am

Son_of_Soil wrote:hi guys
Can you tell how can i request a list of travel dates out of uk as i need to apply fot ILR IN JAN 2011 , i dnt want to exceed 180days

thanxs
You can't request a list of travel dates out of the uk - you have to create the list yourself. Look through your passport and write down all the entry and exit stamps if you can't perfectly recall the dates you were out of the UK. You should review your emails for ticket dates etc. (very important for me since I use IRIS and don't have a lot of stamps). Once you have the data make sure it all looks correct and start calculating days. In my case I found that it was often confusing with flights that took more than a day.