ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British citizenship

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Safina
Newly Registered

British citizenship

Post by Safina » Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:25 am

Hi all,
I came to this country as unaccompanied minor and sought asylum in 2004 and my application was refused but because was not yet 18 I was given a Discretionary Leave for one year. it expired and I made an extension to the home office to which I never got a reply. But my visa allowed me to work and even went to university.Last year I was granted an Indefinate Leave to Remain under the Legacy stating that I have been granted this due to the duration I have stayed in this country. What I am asking is, Will I be eligible for British Citizenship after 12 months or after five years? Because when I spoke to my solicitor, she said that I will be eligible after 12 months and other people say five years! and I am mixed up now and I dont know what to take. Please help me.
Thank you very much in advance.

Thandia

Re: British citizenship

Post by Thandia » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:13 am

Safina wrote:Hi all,
I came to this country as unaccompanied minor and sought asylum in 2004 and my application was refused but because was not yet 18 I was given a Discretionary Leave for one year. it expired and I made an extension to the home office to which I never got a reply. But my visa allowed me to work and even went to university.Last year I was granted an Indefinate Leave to Remain under the Legacy stating that I have been granted this due to the duration I have stayed in this country. What I am asking is, Will I be eligible for British Citizenship after 12 months or after five years? Because when I spoke to my solicitor, she said that I will be eligible after 12 months and other people say five years! and I am mixed up now and I dont know what to take. Please help me.
Thank you very much in advance.
A recent amendment to the rules says 12 months. The amendment says any illegal stay from the asylum claim may be disregarded at the caseworker's discretion. So far people I know who've applied after this amendment & obtained ILR under the legacy backlog have been granted citizenship after the requisite 12 months. This is assuming they fulfilled the good character requirement and they had the 5 year minimum residential qualifying period. Some of those previously denied for being in breach of the residential qualifying period have received letters to reapply.

Safina
Newly Registered

Post by Safina » Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:07 am

Hi Thandia
Thank you so much for your help. God bless. Safina

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:34 am

I came to this country as unaccompanied minor and sought asylum in 2004
When did you apply for asylum? Was that at the port of entry when you first arrived?

Or was it some time later than that? If so, how long after arrival in the UK?
John

Safina
Newly Registered

Post by Safina » Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:39 pm

Hi John, I came to this country in 2004 via airport and sought asylum that same day but I went to social services.

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:24 am

Safina, that being the case, you can apply for Naturalisation when you have had your ILR for one year.
John