ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Work Permit Frustration

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

sfmonet
Newly Registered

Work Permit Frustration

Post by sfmonet » Wed Oct 12, 2005 11:50 am

I am sure that this is a topic that has been repeated, however any objective opinions are much appreciated.

I moved over here in March with my daughter to join my boyfriend. I had a job prospect (in fact the company had told me they couldn't hire me until I moved over) which didn't work out.

The Immigration Garda indicated that unless I came to them with a letter of employment they would not issue a green card. Basically for the past six months I have been applying everywhere within my field of pensions. No go the minute they hear I need a work permit even though I have offered to pay all fees. There are only so many companies that I can apply to, etc.

Its like a cycle, work permit = I get to stay. My thing is I don't want to feed off the system, I JUST WANT A JOB!!! Luckily I have a place to stay, but is it really so difficult????

Any suggestions would be greatly received. Oh and by the way, marriage is not an option LOL (been there done that)

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Wed Oct 12, 2005 12:48 pm

Can we just get the obvious question out of the way .... what country's passport do you have?

And incidentally, if you need one, what sort of visas do you and your daughter have at present?
John

sfmonet
Newly Registered

Post by sfmonet » Wed Oct 12, 2005 2:22 pm

I'm from the U.S., my daughter and I have 3 month visas (the typical when entering the country).

philgeorge999

Post by philgeorge999 » Wed Oct 12, 2005 10:55 pm

sfmonet wrote:I'm from the U.S., my daughter and I have 3 month visas (the typical when entering the country).
Unfortunately, other than marriage, your only option is to convince someone to employ you! Italian companies aren't famous for taking on foreigners though... you often hear of British people (who have an automatic right to work throughout Europe) finding it well nigh impossible to get work over there.

The other thing you could do, I suppose, is join a multinational in the states that happens to have an office or client in your boyfriend's town, and get a transfer.

sfmonet
Newly Registered

Post by sfmonet » Thu Oct 13, 2005 8:55 am

I meant Ireland, but I'm sure its one in the same. Sounds like I am SOL basically.

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Thu Oct 13, 2005 9:36 am

... and an overstayer, it appears. You arrived in March on a three-month tourist visa and now in October, well that is seven months later.

Not looking good. As Phil George as already said, albeit with a confusion about countries, marriage seems to be the only "easy" solution of the visa problem. But no one should ever get married simply to ease a visa situation. And for your own reasons you have ruled that out.

Time to head back to the States?
John

marialear

Post by marialear » Thu Oct 13, 2005 2:06 pm

Good afternoon,

Although I can understand your frustration with the Irish work permit system (I'm here under a work permit so I know all too well), it would appear that you would probably not be granted a Work Permit, if for no other reason than you overstayed your original 90-day entry agreement.

When you arrived here from the States, the Immigration official at the airport would have stamped your passport with a 90-day visitor pass, which only allows you to stay for 3 months. Although you can look, you can't work legally under that stamp.

To get a work permit here, an Irish employer must first advertise said position locally, nationally and then internationally (with the EU) to ensure that, first the position was offered to an Irish citizen, then, failing that, offered to a EU citizen. The employer registers the opening with FAS (the Irish employment department) then wait 4 weeks for any and all possibe Irish/EU people to apply for the job. If after 4 weeks, no one can be found, the job can then be offered to you, the non-national. The employer must submit the documents from FAS proving they looked along with the work permit application form.

There is a list of jobs determined to be 'ineligible' for a work permit, so don't even bother trying: (restaurant, bar, hotel, general ops, clerical/admin, sales, childcare...) which is fully listed on Department of Enterprise, Trade & Employment www.entemp.ie

Most people opt for the yearly work permit (500.00) each & cannot be transferred to another job. One permit per person in that specific job. Your potential employer would have to send a photocopy of your passport along with the visitor stamp as well, so they would catch on that you overstayed your time.

You cannot work while the work permit decision is being made (could take up to 10-12 weeks), you cannot get social welfare either, so you must arrive here with enough money for accomodation, food, etc.... Once the work permit is approved, you must present yourself along with the permit to the Garda to have your passport stamped & receive your GNIB (Garda Natioanl Immigration Bureau) card which proves you registered with the Garda as required. This registration process is repeated every time you get a new permit or change address.

Sorry to be a downer, but this is the reality of it. Currently, the government are reviewing their immigration system & are introducing a Green Card system (not in place yet) but only for highly-qualified, highly-paid people who have the desired skills in areas of the workforce that are particularly under-staffed in Ireland. Check out the www.entemp.ie for those recent Press Releases.

Regards,
Maria

sfmonet
Newly Registered

Post by sfmonet » Fri Oct 14, 2005 9:57 am

Thanks and for further clarification, I've had the funds to leave every three months to the continent and come back. So technically I am not an overstayer. Only reason I am doing that is based upon the suggestions of the Gardai. Its getting very expensive, however at least I am still legal :-)

sfmonet
Newly Registered

Post by sfmonet » Fri Oct 14, 2005 10:00 am

And thank you Maria, however all this information I already know. Since my field is so specialized there are not too many companies I can apply to. Also, it is termed a "hassle" here to hire someone requiring a work permit. However, I am not giving up, but thank you for your advice.

marialear

Post by marialear » Fri Oct 14, 2005 12:18 pm

Here's some irish jobs websites for your interest:

www.monster.ie
www.irishjobs.ie
www.ircon.ie
www.recruitireland.ie
or you can type 'Irish Jobs' or 'Irish recruitment' into www.google.ie and see what comes up.

The newspapers can be read on-line at www.unison.ie

Good luck, chin up.
Regards,
Maria

mktsoi
Member of Standing

permission to remain for non eea national

Post by mktsoi » Fri Oct 14, 2005 10:46 pm

have you try one of those immigration advice place in Dublin? you should go to www.justice.ie and read about the PERMISSION TO REMAIN document. as far as i know. you can still staying in ireland legally without gettting a job. from what i read in the www.justice.ie website. you can apply for permission to remain wihtout a job, but will they let you have it or not. thats another story. go read it about it in the dept justice website first and see what u can make out of it.

try this link or www.justice.ie and search for permission to remain

http://www.justice.ie/80256DFF005F2D06/ ... Form&Seq=1

forget aboout the garda. some of them dont even know what the hell they talking about. i am holding a hk passport and i have a job in ireland. even tho without a job. i dont need to have a visa to enter ireland. last time i came back from uk. i got stopped by one of the immigration Gardai and he was asking me where is my visa in my passport! i had the valid green card and permission to remain in ireland stamp on my passport at the time. i even showed him my work ID card( i work in one of the governemt department in ireland ) but the immigration Gardai still insist i needed a visa. at the end, he just let me leave and he said he was giving me a warning and he told me i should get a visa before i leave the country next time. dont just take their word. if i were u, read up yourself. all the immigration stuff are posted in the www.justice.ie website. if you dont have a job yet, as long as you can show them you can support yourself financailly. you can always apply for the permission to remain. if you dont believe me. try one of the immigration advice place in dublin and read the permission to remain paper in the dept justcie website!

hope this help. good luck