ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Residence permit for EU-citizens in Ireland

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

albertosc
Newly Registered

Residence permit for EU-citizens in Ireland

Post by albertosc » Mon Oct 17, 2005 9:59 pm

I received a job offer from a company in Ireland, and I will probably move there. I'm currently living with my gf, so the plan was that I move first and after 2 or 3 months she moves too. We both are EU-citizens (germany).
I've been reading all the information I found in the internet about migration to ireland and I realized that we have to apply for a residence permit to stay for more that 3 months. I woulnt have problems 'cause I will have a job already, but my gf doesnt speak english and I guess she wouldn't work for some months. Will we have problems to get the residence permit for her? is there any way to prove that I can support her during that time and would that be accepted?

thanks in advance

albertosc

Chess
Diamond Member

Post by Chess » Tue Oct 18, 2005 9:05 am

as an EU citizen you dont require a residence permit to be in Eire. Could you please provide the source of the information you are 'quoting'.
Where there is a will there is a way.

marialear

Post by marialear » Tue Oct 18, 2005 11:05 am

Hi,

I found some information relating to EU citizens and 'residence permits' for Ireland on www.oasis.gov.ie which is set up by the Irish government.

See Moving Country link on the home page on the right, then click on Moving to Ireland, scroll down & you'll see 'Residence rights of EU Nationals in Ireland.' Now, having said that, I don't know of any of my EU friends who has actually done this. Actually, a UK friend of mine went to the Garda when he moved over & enquired about it & they just wrote his name/address down in a writing tablet kept under the counter! :) Maybe it's an old rule from years ago & was never ammended or enforced?

albertosc
Newly Registered

Post by albertosc » Tue Oct 18, 2005 1:01 pm

http://www.oasis.gov.ie/moving_country/ ... ional.html

This is the most important part I think :
Supporting your application

Although you are entitled to a residence permit as an EU national, you will be asked to produce certain documents to support your application. These documents will vary according to your circumstances:

If you are working, you will be asked for a signed statement from your employer or some proof of your self-employed status.

If you are studying, you will be asked for evidence of registration on an approved course as well as proof of health insurance and the sufficient funds to provide for yourself and any family dependants who are with you.

If you are retired or out of work, you will be asked for evidence of sufficient health insurance and funds to support yourself and your family, if they are with you.
and here : http://www.oasis.gov.ie/employment/work ... _work.html
Residence permits

As an EU national coming to Ireland to work or take up self-employment in Ireland, you are entitled to a residence permit.

When you come to Ireland you do not have to report your presence in the country immediately.

You must register within three months of your arrival and apply for a residence permit. To get a residence permit you should, if in Dublin, go to the Immigration Office and fill out the application form. In other areas, you should go to the local Garda station.

You will need to show that you are in employment or self-employed. If you are employed, your employer must complete part of the form. If you are self-employed, you must show some evidence of this, for example, VAT registration or documents showing evidence of activity. Your dependants will have to show that they are dependants; marriage and birth certificates are usually required.

A residence permit is granted for five years and is renewable.

If you are refused a permit or if it is withdrawn, there are special procedures for appealing.

The overall responsibility for residence permits rests with the Department of Justice, Equality and Law Reform. A form for an application for an Irish residence permit may be obtained from the Department.
and here : http://europa.eu.int/youreurope/nav/en/ ... es/en.html
INFORMATION ON COMMUNITY LAW
YOUR RIGHTS

As a citizen of the Union, you may enter a Member State with a valid identity card or passport and reside there for three months without any formalities.

As a citizen of the Union who does not enjoy a right of residence under any other provisions of Community law, you have a right of residence in any other Member State on condition that you have sufficient resources to avoid that you and the members of your family become a burden on the social assistance system of the host Member State during your period of residence and you and the members of your family are covered by sickness insurance in respect of all risks in the host Member State.

Resources are deemed sufficient when they are higher than the level of resources below which the host Member State may grant social assistance to its nationals or if this criterion cannot apply when they are higher than the level of the minimum social security pension paid by the host Member State.

In order to obtain a residence card you may only be required to present a valid identity card or passport and provide proof that you comply with the conditions of residence. The validity of the residence card may be limited to five years on a renewable basis. However, the host Member State may, when they deem it to be necessary, require revalidation of the card at the end of the first two years of residence.

The residence card shall be issued and renewed free of charge or on payment of an amount not exceeding that charged for the issue of identity cards to nationals.

The right of residence is maintained for as long as you comply with the above conditions. However, recourse to social assistance due to a temporary difficulty may not entail your automatic expulsion from the host Member State.

Subject to the above conditions and to any specific provisions foreseen in the Treaty and in secondary legislation, you have the right to equal treatment with nationals within the scope of the EC Treaty.

albertosc
Newly Registered

Post by albertosc » Wed Oct 19, 2005 5:28 pm

Maybe an EU citizen living in Irland could tell me if s/he had to apply for a residence permit and what information or documentation was required?

@marialear: maybe there are other rules for UK citizens?

mktsoi
Member of Standing

residence permit

Post by mktsoi » Thu Oct 20, 2005 2:40 am

i know from the www.oasis.gov.ie website said all the eu citizen needs to get residence permit if they want to live in ireland. to be honest, most of the people i know from eu(including the brits) never really report to garda when they get in. if i were u, first thing i would do when u get to ireland, go to the tax office get yourself a tax number and go to the social welfare office get your self a social security number. they are most imprtant documents for eu citizens. i think anyway.

maria was saying that they just wrote down her friend's name and addrress in a book from under the counter. this is the way they do things. their computer system is old. whatever they wrote down might update long time after. the irish immigration is busy enough with all the non eu people. so there, dont even worry about what the said in oasis. if i were u, i be worry about do they pay u enough to live in expensive ireland!!!!!!

marialear

Post by marialear » Thu Oct 20, 2005 8:22 am

:) so true about the computer systems over here! it's been the cause of many headaches for me over the years!

Yeah, money will proably be your biggest concern. albertsoc, check out www.daft.ie for accomodation all over Ireland to get a overview of the vast differences in rent depending on where you live. Dublin has apparently be listed as one of the most expensive cities in the EU to live.

Get your PPS number (the social security number over here) & the like and you'll be fine I'm sure. If it eases your mind, drop down to the Garda station anyway and let 'em know you're in the country, they probably won't say much.

Also, for interest, gettting a bank account over here can be a struggle, so bring copies of your banking history from home with you. They'll want to see your passport & want details of an Irish address and Irish employer. Good luck!

Maria

albertosc
Newly Registered

Post by albertosc » Thu Oct 20, 2005 12:51 pm

I think I should consider €1000 for rent (South Dublin, I would work in dublin 18 ).

I was planing to accept the job if they pay €30K /year or more.. After paying the income tax : 23.500 or 24.000 /year.. so I would have €1900 - €2000/month.

Do you think that would be enough for 2 people to live there?

Alberto

marialear

Post by marialear » Wed Oct 26, 2005 8:21 am

Hi,

It really depends on what type of accomodation you are looking for (house v apt, #of bdrms, sharing with others, location, etc....).

I checked out www.daft.ie and put in details of 2bdrm in Dublin 18 and prices were 1200.00 Euro & up. That would NOT include electric, heating, telephone, etc. but the one good thing that you will usually find in a lot of accomodation around Ireland is that they are furnished with the essentials (beds, wardrobes, Spam fixtures, sometimes right down to the knives, forks and plates). This was quite different to what I was used to in Canada when all you got when you rented an apt was maybe a fridge & stove.

With regard to the amount you'll need for living in Dublin, I think it will really come down to your own personal taste and style of living. I don't live in Dublin myself, so I can't really comment though I hear lots of people complain of how expensive it is. I found a good website about everything for moving to Ireland called www.movetoireland.com which has a discussion board, so you may be able to find more info there.

Good luck, Maria

marialear

Post by marialear » Wed Oct 26, 2005 8:23 am

oops,
forgot www.dublin.ie for all you want to know about living in Dublin.

Maria

albertosc
Newly Registered

Post by albertosc » Wed Oct 26, 2005 7:31 pm

Thank you Maria! I will chech those sites