ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Need to submit passports for ILR application?

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

WooHoo

Need to submit passports for ILR application?

Post by WooHoo » Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:49 pm

Hello!!

If someone applies for ILR by post, do they have to submit their passport and have it withheld until a decision is made (possibly 6 months down the line)?

My wife (Japanese) has been here on a temporary marriage visa for 2 years and now it's time to apply for ILR. We don't mind the possible 6-month wait, but we wouldn't want to be without her passport for 6 months. (We want an overseas holiday).

I'd really appreciate your advice as I have ALWAYS found this forum and those who contribute to it (except the time-wasters) very helpful.

Many thanks!

Jon

khankhattak

Re: Need to submit passports for ILR application?

Post by khankhattak » Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:03 pm

WooHoo wrote:Hello!!

If someone applies for ILR by post, do they have to submit their passport and have it withheld until a decision is made (possibly 6 months down the line)?

My wife (Japanese) has been here on a temporary marriage visa for 2 years and now it's time to apply for ILR. We don't mind the possible 6-month wait, but we wouldn't want to be without her passport for 6 months. (We want an overseas holiday).

I'd really appreciate your advice as I have ALWAYS found this forum and those who contribute to it (except the time-wasters) very helpful.

Many thanks!

Jon
ya ukba stated on site within 6 months but if ur case is straitforward like if u have evey required documents then it will not take more than 6 weeks
plz let me know if im saying anything incorrect

kiwigirl25
Member of Standing

Post by kiwigirl25 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:10 pm

Yes you need to include her passport. It's a must.

Published targets are 6 months but as the previous poster stated straight-forward application are processed before this time. However it all depends on the application type. Work Permit (5yrs)/Spousal - 6-8 weeks. Long term application - 3-4 months though some 2009 apps have waited over 6 months.

WooHoo

Post by WooHoo » Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:17 pm

Thank you so much!

I was hoping that they'd return her passport before making the decision but obviously not. :?

foxy

Post by foxy » Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:28 pm

WooHoo wrote:Thank you so much!

I was hoping that they'd return her passport before making the decision but obviously not. :?
That cannot happen because her passport would need to be endorsed with the ILR sticker which can only happen after the decision has been taken. Still, it's not that bad of a wait :-)

Good luck!

WooHoo

Post by WooHoo » Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:43 pm

Yeah that makes sense. Cheers

I do however disagree with you that it is an acceptable waiting time. We (all people in our circumstances) pay a lot of money for them to make a decision and I'm not sure that the service justifies the fee.

Anyway... :roll: