ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

self employed?

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

AxA
Newly Registered

self employed?

Post by AxA » Wed Oct 19, 2005 4:22 pm

Hi guys.

Long time no see. For the beginning, I am all right. I landed here in July (oh yes, one of the long-mad queue stuck in 7'th of June 2003).

Everything is fine, after one month I found a job as a freelancer, working contract jobs through a recruitment agency. I might get some offers directly, with no agencies, so I need to be able to just work on a project with some company, issue them some kind of invoice, and get a check to cash into my account. For all this to be legal, I understood I need to become self-employed. Can I do this with a HSMP visa? Have anyone else here been working as a self-employed? I did not found anything too clear on the web, of what do I need to do, where to apply, etc. Any advice would be appreciate, thank you.

The second thing is about National Insurance Number. I found some JobCentre where I need to apply for an interview, but the phone line is always busy. I somehow managed to send them an email using a web-form, but got no answer. Why is this Insurance Number business so complicated?

In the end, a short history of things we did after landing here, if anybody need some hints...

First 10 days we stayed with some friends, and our main target was to find a place to stay. We were looking for the cheapest place until finding jobs. So we booked a room in a shared house. After moving there we found jobs, and after two more months we moved to our own flat, a one bedroom apartment. We tried to get a flat in the beginning, but there is no way to rent a flat with no job, no references. Now it is better, we are starting to settle down.

Paying rent is quite expensive, so if possible, the best thing to do is to raise 10% of a house and put in for a mortgage to buy your own. You end up paying almost the same, but you get the house, in the end. If you don't have a bank account in UK, put this on top of your list, you can't do anything here without one. Second thing is a phone, the cheapest pay-as-you go mobile available. It is best to bring your own handset, and just buy the sim card here. You need to be called by employers.

Affordable things (but low quality) you can find at Argos chain stores and Eastend weekend markets for good food and groceries. As for travel means you can buy a $25 second hand bicycle. It is cheap, green and healthy.

Don't stand on the left on the escalator and have lunch in pubs on Fridays. Welcome to the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

Regards,
A.

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Wed Oct 19, 2005 4:31 pm

AxA wrote:For all this to be legal, I understood I need to become self-employed. Can I do this with a HSMP visa? Have anyone else here been working as a self-employed?
As you have HSMP you have flexibility in the matter. You can work for anyone (unlike those having a Work Permit).

So there is nothing to stop you forming a company, owning all the shares in that company and being the only Director of that company. But take care ... anti-avoidance legislation commonly known as IR35 can substantially increase the tax. So proper planning is necessary.
John