ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Mother in Law Visa

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

errol100
Newly Registered

Mother in Law Visa

Post by errol100 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:16 pm

Hello all,

I wondered if you could be of assistance.

I am now married to a wonderful woman outside of the EU and we are just getting our visa changed. All the boxes seemed to have been ticked on this front.

Now, we have a another challenge thereafter.

I am wanting to bring my mother in law here, to provide for her and get her permission for any kind of residency in the UK. She is highly qualified (one of the top members of her profession) but speaks limited english.

Furthermore, she is under 65.

However, she only has one child (my wife) and no parents.

The embassy in the country where she resides wasn't helpful as they pointed me to the UK visa website. Equally so, our government just pointed me to the same location.

the website however is awash with information, without telling you any specifics.

Does anyone have any advice ?

Thanks in advance.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:34 pm

Has to be 'extreme compassionate circumstances' if under 65.

Also means:

1. Financially dependant

2. No income

3. No local siblings.

Really, u dont want to do this, support her at home if you can, my russian in-laws would rather die than come here, it's just alien to them, plus the pride thing.

Also u would need to undertake to maintain her, ie no benefits and no medical treatment, but check the last one.

This is the most difficult visa to get, plus it now costs £1600......Yikes!
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

stmellon

Post by stmellon » Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:03 pm

I'm not sure why you think there are no specifics on the UKVISAS website. How much more clarity do you want?

http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/en/howtoapply ... members#Q4
Can parents, grandparents and other dependent relatives go to live in the UK?
If you are a widowed parent or grandparent aged 65 or over, or parents or grandparents travelling together and one of you is 65 or over, you may qualify if:
  • you are completely or mainly financially dependent on children or grandchildren living and settled in the UK
    you have no other close relatives in your own country to help you
    your children or grandchildren can support you without needing help from public funds, and
    your children or grandchildren have enough accommodation, which they alone own or live in, where you can live without needing any help from public funds.
If you are a parent or grandparent under the age of 65, you may qualify if:
  • you are living in the most exceptional compassionate circumstances
    you are completely or mainly financially dependent on children or grandchildren living and settled in the UK
    you have no other close relatives in your own country to help you
    your children or grandchildren can support you without needing help from public funds, and
    your children or grandchildren have enough accommodation, which they alone own or live in, where you can live without needing any help from public funds.
If you are over 18 and have a parent settled in the UK, or if you are a sister, brother, aunt, uncle or any other relative of a person settled in the UK, you may qualify if you meet the conditions listed in the previous paragraph and you are living alone in the most exceptional compassionate circumstances.